Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of posts in the journal section

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    it was intense anxiety and unpredictable outbursts of rage for me. never experienced anything like it before. the details are too embarassing to post.. its all pretty substantially psychotic behavior (srs)
    I can relate closely. My irratability was beyond frightening, I would freak out if someone asked a favor of me. Like "call your sister"... I think I snapped off the deep end when my mom suggested this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...ion_Experiment
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I can relate closely. My irratability was beyond frightening, I would freak out if someone asked a favor of me. Like "call your sister"... I think I snapped off the deep end when my mom suggested this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso...ion_Experiment
    Briefly looked over that experiment before. VERY interesting.

House Lannister
    Rory, next cut are you planning on using Ant-Ds for your metal health? Seems like it might be beneficial, at least as a last resort when really deep into dieting, Not implying that you are mentally unstable or anything, btw.

No way. One those things don't just work at the drop of a hat you need to be on them for quite a while (months) why would I want to take a med regularly to combat maybe 4-5 weeks of final dieting? Two half the time they make things worse for people. Three who knows if dieting stressors induce the mental disorders those things are designed for.

Nope. That would be crazy imo. They're not crazy if you need them for their designed intent but that's a pretty sketchy thing to try for dieting sake. I know I'm sensitive enough to caffeine (from a mood altering standpoint) that I wouldn't **** with anything rx outside of its intended use.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-11-2010 at 08:24 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

aye.. its mentally tough. i was completely unprepared for that aspect. i dont really understand how ppl maintain that level of leanness year round.
    Mentally tough dealing with the hunger, cravings, weakness, lethargy. The more frightening side is the solitary confinement it brought and the depression, anxiety, panic attacks etc.

I can deal with the first set. I'm in no place to take on the second.
    I really don't know what the hell you guys were doing. I went through the contest prep and the low calories and got down to some low BF levels, but I didn't have those problems. I agree that a great deal of it is the mental aspect, me I just don't care and do it for fun, but Rory takes BBing serious.

I really don't see how the eatting becomes such a tedious job, it's really about 4, maybe 5, whole meals. Most guys will take in 1-2 shakes, so between breakfast, lunch, and dinner it's only 1-2 more meals. What I think the problem is that too many take it way too seriously. I took a real laid back approach and came into the contest in shape, not the best that I could have, but that was due to me not knowing 100% what I was doing.

I know others complain about the cooking, but it doesn't take that much time does it? I'll usually cook 1-2 days worth in the morning. I just put whatever on the pan and let it cook and simmer, then cook my carbs or veggies, then separate everything and I'm good. 30-45 minutes tops, and I just do something else while it's cooking.

I know your mentality Rory, but I think you could benefit from adopting a bit of a more laid back approach. It's ok to go out with friends. When I wanted to drink it was just liquor mixed with something that had minimal calories. You know with the lower BW and lower calories that it takes less alcohol to hit you, so you don't take in a drastic amount of calories. I know you were struggling with a few things during your last prep, but I think it was that you had that mentality to take it to the max, but honestly I think you could have done a killer job while enjoying yourself a bit more. You will never one way over the other, I think it would be better to get on the stage with a more laid back approach rather than not make it and have the killer mentality.

I remember Allen Cress saying that he doesn't think those that aren't "100 % serious" about BBing should even bother. Unless I'm getting paid to do this thing, then I'll live how I think is best for me. We aren't getting paid, and if you do it's really minimal.

Anyways, I'm just ranting.

You have the right mindset and you could do lots of damage when you step on stage. Whatever it takes for you to get there I say go do it.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I can't imagine what that'd be like. It does seem like you to have to at least somewhat anti-social if you are trying to cut to a very low bodyfat.
    Naw, you really don't have to. You can make it happen, but it depends on what your definition of social is? I think some people are too conscientious about it. I had no problem bringing mutliples meals a day to class, and random meals even, like turkey breast, mustard, and pickles. I was asking secretaries if I could use the staff microwaves, etc. I actually brought in like 6 protein bars for a class project, chopped them up and served them to the class.

It's all what you make it to be. I will say that I did think way too much about my next meal and hitting my calories, but when I realized I was thinking about it too much I just thought about it a little bit less, haha (that made no sense.)

Rory is going to get this thing dialed in sometime. He looked great with multiple weeks to go. He knows he can do it and he will the next time he decides to compete.

We're different people in different places. I breakdown if I'm less than 100%. You have a better balance. You have a family and other sources of happiness to keep you optomistic when things aren't shaping up perfectly. Me, basically the opposite.

I agree Time+Patience but I also know where Rory's coming from because I'm real similar. When I set my mind to something I become obsessed with it and I can't stand not giving it 110% effort.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Naw, you really don't have to. You can make it happen, but it depends on what your definition of social is? I think some people are too conscientious about it. I had no problem bringing mutliples meals a day to class, and random meals even, like turkey breast, mustard, and pickles. I was asking secretaries if I could use the staff microwaves, etc. I actually brought in like 6 protein bars for a class project, chopped them up and served them to the class.

It's all what you make it to be. I will say that I did think way too much about my next meal and hitting my calories, but when I realized I was thinking about it too much I just thought about it a little bit less, haha (that made no sense.)

Rory is going to get this thing dialed in sometime. He looked great with multiple weeks to go. He knows he can do it and he will the next time he decides to compete.
    I have no embarassment about bodybuilding. I did when I was little and was afraid to be the odd man out. Now I get off on it. I love eating my chicken and potatoes in front of their pizza. That wasnt the social issue... being worried about what people would think if I went out with my tupperware containers? Lol, no. I thrive on that. Call it sociopathic but I like making them feel uncomfortable for what they're eating... I'm the normal one, why are you guys eating fries and drinking coke? At least make it a diet lol.

It was more that my friends don't understand or encourage it. They thought I was ripped at 10% lol. "dude you're freaking ripped already just drink a beer". thats not exactly support. I'll drink it if I want it.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-16-2010 at 08:14 PM.

I've inadvertently fell into a push/pull/legs split. With my move out of 5-8 reps and into 9-12 (and more like 10-20 on legs) I feel recovered from normal workout doms at pretty much twice the rate. With a simple 3 workout split I'm going to be training each workout once every 5 days (give or take, just like last year ill go early if I'm ready and ill wait if I need it).

Weight is 205-207 am. I could break through to 212-215 easy. Its taken no force feeding to get here. I'm going to do a 2 month diet jan-feb, it will be my first ever non spring or summer cut as well as my first ever that isn't aimed at getting completely ripped. Should actually be fun, 2 months is still in the pretty easy realm.

March is another outtage, so back to 72 hr weeks. Right now I'm planning on raising calories to the level I'm functional, probably 500-1000 back up. Might need more. I really can't foresee where ill be at by the end of that month-6 weeks to plan farther ahead. Id like to have calories high enough to be able to comfortably enter another 8 or so weeks of dieting. This is all provided I continue healing and don't accrue any new injuries.

House Lannister
    I have no embarassment about bodybuilding. I did when I was little and was afraid to be the odd man out. Now I get off on it. I love eating my chicken and potatoes in front of their pizza. That wasnt the social issue... being worried about what people would think if I went out with my tupperware containers? Lol, no. I thrive on that. Call it sociopathic but I like making them feel uncomfortable for what they're eating... I'm the normal one, why are you guys eating fries and drinking coke? At least make it a diet lol.

It was more that my friends don't understand or encourage it. They thought I was ripped at 10% lol. "dude you're freaking ripped already just drink a beer". thats not exactly support. I'll drink it if I want it.
    Same here. Friends are mostly fat/skinny with one meso kid who's a genetic freak. They literally shat a brick when they caught me weighing some food one time. Lulz. If I wasn't 170 pounds I prolly wouldn't be as defense/embarassed about it. When I'm around 200 lbs I def won't give a $hit what others think as long as I'm moving heavy weights and have sensible levels of body fat.

Same with the beer thing too. Some of my friends are borderline alcoholic...talk about pressure.

We're different people in different places. I breakdown if I'm less than 100%. You have a better balance. You have a family and other sources of happiness to keep you optomistic when things aren't shaping up perfectly. Me, basically the opposite.
    It is hard for me to look at it from another perspective, I've been a family man since the age of 20, so the days of going it alone, literally, were short lived (6 months prior to meeting my wife) and looking back on it, those 6 months weren't as enjoyable as it has been having a family, although a family can be very stressful at times.

I'm not saying that you don't have to give less than 100%, as I know I give a lot of effort, focus, and concentration to my diet also, but due to having other factors in my life to balance it's easier to not dwell on all of the other factors that come along with the quest of getting to low levels of BF%'s. With less outside factors it's easier to dwell on every part of your dieting process and it can mess with you mentally. What I'd maybe recommend is that you look to get involved in other activites that don't detract from your dieting, but help eleviate the mental stressors involved with it.

Within my rant I lost my focus, but what I'd advocate is that you work on not being so hard on yourself. You can always give it 100%, but you don't have to feel too bad when you can't eat the exact meal that you wanted at the right time, or the other factors that can get to one while dieting. I believe you can get away with a lot more during a diet than most think, but it's hard to say as you can't really do an experiment with yourself comparing 2 different methods at the exact same time.

I guess I'd like to see more people not become such creatures of habit and the process of dieting down could be more enjoyable, but some are very hard themselves when they can't do it exactly as they have planned.

Rory, simply put, as long as you progress and stay happy, then keep on rolling.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 12-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Scott, first let me make myself clear that I didn't or don't mean say you're in some way less focused than me. It's the opposite. I try too hard to be perfect, which is unachievable and in turn completely backfires. You have the rationale mind of knowing where and when to give a little. I envy it about you and you are indeed a much more productive bodybuilder for that quality among others.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-17-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Scott, first let me make myself clear that I didn't or don't mean say you're in some way less focused than me. It's the opposite. I try too hard to be perfect, which is unachievable and in turn completely backfires. You have the rationale mind of knowing where and when to give a little. I envy it about you and you are indeed a much more productive bodybuilder for that quality among others.
    I don't believe that you think I'm not giving 100% and didn't take it that way. Where I got lost in my rant was that you can still give 100% while enjoying yourself. To use some comparisons (probably poor ones, but oh well) but in sports like Derek Anderson laughing during the loss to the 49ers it doesn't mean he wasn't doing his best, or when other teams joke and dance on the sidelines it doesn't mean they aren't taking it serious.

I strongly believe that you need to enjoy yourself during whatever you do, and that it's still possible to give it your all while staying relaxed and not dwelling on too many of the negative aspects of the journey. You know better than I do, as you've done it more, but dieting down is much different than anything else and I believe it can only help you in the process when you acknowledge the wrong turns or mistakes, but just correct them in a positive manner.

If I were to use a specific example from your diet, correct me if I'm wrong, but you veered away from your diet one night and ate an extra amount of food and the next day, or even days, you hit the HIIT cardio more so than normal and more so than you would reasonably do, and it might have been a big factor in the strain you experienced in your legs/joints. I believe at that time with how your mind was working was that you had to make up for it one way or another. I think you could have used that as your one "bad binge" and you would be back on track stronger than before.

I'm saying that you can feel guilty about that binge, but just think to yourself "that might set me back, or maybe I just needed that" I think it's all in the way that you mentally take in the situation and respond to any wrong moves.

I had a night where I just binged on PB and oreo's during my prep, but I looked at it as "ok, now I can't binge until after the contest, I gave into that temptation and that NEEDS to suffice for the next 2 weeks". I took it as a nice boost for my morale and took it in stride. Now if i was binging like that every 3 days and saying the same thing to myself, then I was having a problem.

All I know is that I look forward to your journal, and love when you are going at it hard. I know the large workloads detract from it, but it's always fun seeing what you've done in the gym.

Just keep hitting it hard and know you've got some guys on here following along enjoying the journal.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 12-17-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Stone cold ryan austin doesn't seem to believe I still lift and requests workouts. I throw out a couple. They're nothing impressive and actually almost embarassing the weight I'm using, but remember I dropped everything back for some high reps (shooting for 9-12).

Banned
    scott, i admire your ability to remain relaxed and enjoy it immensely. when i give something 100% i have ferocious intensity for which nothing gets in my way.. neither women, nor friends nor family nor anything. there is nothing but my goal..

rory, post one up man.. it is what is. the difference between a weight for 5 and a weight for 12 is HUGE. for me anyway.. get OR in here to talk about work capacity lol

House Lannister
    Stone cold ryan austin doesn't seem to believe I still lift and requests workouts. I throw out a couple. They're nothing impressive and actually almost embarassing the weight I'm using, but remember I dropped everything back for some high reps (shooting for 9-12).
    Damn straight.

Post up some workouts NAOW

Back workout 12-14-10 work gym

Hypers
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    10x10
    25x10
    25x7.5

Rack pulls Very high, very light. Any pulling months back was aggravating my meniscus, trying to ease into very slowly
    135x12
    135x12
    185x12
    225x12
    225x12
    225x12

Pulldowns not bar, two handles like you'd use for crossovers
    110x12
    140x12
    150x12
    150x12
    150x10
    150x9
    140x10
    140x10

Low cable row ez curl bar. Similar to a bb row really.
    140x12
    160x12
    160x11

Seated shrugs
    90x10
    90x10
    90x10
    90x10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chest and abs, 12-15-10 alexanders athletic club

IRs and ERs
    30x12
    40x12
    50x12
    55x12

DB Press
    55x12
    75x12
    95x6
    105x15
    105x10
    105x6
    alternating
    100x5/5
    95x6l/5.5r

Cable x-over on ic bench
    70x12
    75x10
    75x6
    70x7
    65x9.5
    65x9

Hammserstrength IC Press
    210x10.5
    210x6

Cable crunches
    95x12
    140x12
    150x12
    150x12
    150x12
    150x12

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legs 12-16-10 @ AAC

Squats oustide my comfort and strength stance. the difference of 6-8" is night and day. Also TONS of stretching in between these. I thought I blew out my knee the week before but I think it's just runners knee as the stretching aleviated loads of the ache since.
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    185x10
    185x10
    225x20 only parallel
    225x10 deep, and a real pain in this stance for me
    225x10 grass

Frog press
    400x10
    400x10
    490x8

Calves on leg press DC style but not as many reps as advocated
    400x8
    400x7
    400x8

seated calves DC
    90x7
    90x10

Back workout 12-17-10 @ AAC

Hypers
    bw x 12
    bw x 12
    10x12
    25x10
    25x7
    10x12

Rack pulls same notation. These are not in my routine right now for strength or hypertrophy, just more rehab.
    135x12
    135x12
    185x12
    225x12
    225x12
    225x12

PDs double handled
    110x12
    140x12
    170x12
    170x10
    170x8
    155x12
    155x10

Low cable row
    100x12
    150x12
    180x12
    200x11

seated shrugs forward lean and long pause
    80x15
    80x12
    80x16
    80x15

Chest on 12-18-10 @ AAC

IRs and ERs
    30x12
    40x12
    50x12

DB Press
    55x12
    80x12
    100x6
    115x10
    115x8.5
    115x7.5
    alternating 105x5/5
    back to normal 105x9

X-over on IC bench
    75x12
    75x8
    70x9
    70x6

HS IC press
    210x11
    210x8
    short rest - 200x6

No time for abs they threw me out. So down to the Y for abs shoulders triceps tonight. Legs will not be ready after three days to train tomorrow, ham tie ins are still mildy sore. I'll hit them over 4 days and get them monday
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-18-2010 at 03:21 PM.

House Lannister
    Still have loads of volume. You have nothing to be embarrassed about Be. Still good efforts.

I've never seriously done rack pulls. May integrate them at some point.

Banned
    good stuff rory.

how would you rank yourself right now as far as recovery is concerned?

get OR in here to talk about work capacity lol
    Present and accounted for
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

good stuff rory.

how would you rank yourself right now as far as recovery is concerned?
    Recovery how?

Injury wise? Slow but recovering.

From day to day training? Stellar. This high rep shhh doesn't phase me. I also doubled my bcaa intake.

I have been better conditioned though, my endurance in the gym is good, but I can handle a lot more than this.

Banned
    ya injury-wise. whats your deal right now dietwise? surprised youre supplementing with BCAAs

high reps definitely phase me. on db lunges...my whole body shakes and i huff and puff.. even though my cardio health is pretty great right now.

ya injury-wise. whats your deal right now dietwise? surprised youre supplementing with BCAAs

high reps definitely phase me. on db lunges...my whole body shakes and i huff and puff.. even though my cardio health is pretty great right now.
    I'm eating at about maintenance really. Why are you suprised I use bcaas? Have for about a year straight now. I used a ton last spring, cut it back per albertos rec and kept it that way until recently where I'm taking 6 scoops xtend or 4 scoops bcaa+ per workout.

House Lannister
    I'm eating at about maintenance really. Why are you suprised I use bcaas? Have for about a year straight now. I used a ton last spring, cut it back per albertos rec and kept it that way until recently where I'm taking 6 scoops xtend or 4 scoops bcaa+ per workout.
    Sheesh that seems expensive.

You notice any difference with them?