The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    If you look at my workouts above you'll see I have HORRIBLE high rep endurance. I may get 15 reps on my first workset and only eek out 9 the next, then 6, unless I wait 10 minutes. The set of workouts prior to those were actually much worse, but I upped the bcaa and added 30g gatorade in my gallon mix for the gym and it actually made a difference. What I wasn't prepared for was the 0 doms... I could literally train chest again today and trained it yesterday. Is this the BCAAs? It's me being more adapted to this style now for the most part but I do think the bcaas are definetly a big factor.

Yes, very exp.

Edit - I should note that a lot of the reason for my dropoff is I do always train to failure and/or past with rest pauses... so even those reps are high, it's still pretty taxing (with the exclusions of the rack pulls, leg workouts right now, and shoulder warmup rotations)
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    If you look at my workouts above you'll see I have HORRIBLE high rep endurance. I may get 15 reps on my first workset and only eek out 9 the next, then 6, unless I wait 10 minutes. The set of workouts prior to those were actually much worse, but I upped the bcaa and added 30g gatorade in my gallon mix for the gym and it actually made a difference. What I wasn't prepared for was the 0 doms... I could literally train chest again today and trained it yesterday. Is this the BCAAs? It's me being more adapted to this style now for the most part but I do think the bcaas are definetly a big factor.

Yes, very exp.

Edit - I should note that a lot of the reason for my dropoff is I do always train to failure and/or past with rest pauses... so even those reps are high, it's still pretty taxing (with the exclusions of the rack pulls, leg workouts right now, and shoulder warmup rotations)
    Interesting stuff Rory. Do you RP heavier posterior chain compounds like Deadlifts/Rack pulls and squats when you're healthy?

yeah

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Some pretty good work in here! I need to start updating my journal on here. I'll start tomorrow.

That BCAA dosage seems super high. I wonder how comparable the pricing and benefits would be to just upping your whey or meat intake. Let me know if you experiment with that.

I'm currently taking about 20g bcaa 30-45min before my workout and 20g during the workout. I train fasted, so I am hoping that's helping protein synthesis as much as possible.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Today was layoff day... I get a 4-6 week vacation! Next outage is early march, likely called back mid feb-ish. This should make dieting come january interesting... Normally I do better/stay more focused the busier I am. I forsee looooots of cardio seeing as how I won't be working (for the most part) and seeing as how I'll have mad time.

I also get to take advantage of PA muzzleloader season... I also forsee plentiful protein supplies in my freezer

Today was layoff day... I get a 4-6 week vacation! Next outage is early march, likely called back mid feb-ish. This should make dieting come january interesting... Normally I do better/stay more focused the busier I am. I forsee looooots of cardio seeing as how I won't be working (for the most part) and seeing as how I'll have mad time.

I also get to take advantage of PA muzzleloader season... I also forsee plentiful protein supplies in my freezer
    4-6 Weeks will be sweet mate, enjoy it

What cardio are you going to add? Will it be basic stuff like running or strength based stuff?

Anyway enjoy your break mate
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    4-6 Weeks will be sweet mate, enjoy it

What cardio are you going to add? Will it be basic stuff like running or strength based stuff?

Anyway enjoy your break mate
    I've had two - 5 day vacations off of work and maybe 4 or 5 sick days in the last 6 years. Conversely I've worked 4 stints (4-6 weeks) of 72 hours a week... you've never met anyone so excited to be laid off lol.

I plan to start off with just long walks in the morning. Maybe an hour +. Probably will not run (though I enjoy it) due to my knees so that might switch quickly to eliptical or something at the gym in the morning. More wll probably be added if either I feel that I can safely lose fat quicker through more, or get bored all day lol.

I've had two - 5 day vacations off of work and maybe 4 or 5 sick days in the last 6 years. Conversely I've worked 4 stints (4-6 weeks) of 72 hours a week... you've never met anyone so excited to be laid off lol.

I plan to start off with just long walks in the morning. Maybe an hour +. Probably will not run (though I enjoy it) due to my knees so that might switch quickly to eliptical or something at the gym in the morning. More wll probably be added if either I feel that I can safely lose fat quicker through more, or get bored all day lol.
    Lol mate, chances are after working that hard for that long you will need something to do all day! Sucks you got laid off but sounds like you could do with it!

I noticed you said in Chevelle's Journal you are starting your diet soon. Will that include upping your cardio?

Are you planning on heading back to super low BF%'s again?

Good luck with it all anyway!

A Westside journal.

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

I'm actually doing now cardio right now. So the cardio we talk of in here is yet to start.

Definetly not super low. I'm about 14-16 right now (will be better assessed after a little bloat is shed). I only plan on dieting for 2 months so probably 9-10 will be attained.

House Lannister
    Does this mean you'll update your journal more often?

Excited for the dieting.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 12-30-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Banned
    layoff day??? is this good or bad? sounds like a vacation between jobs, which I would assume to be good. sounds good man, keep us posted.

i was surprised to see you were supping with bcaas all the time. i had never tinkered with them until alberto suggested them with the AM cardio. i use them regularly now.. especially when i do lifting/cardio AM split.

I'm actually doing now cardio right now. So the cardio we talk of in here is yet to start.

Definetly not super low. I'm about 14-16 right now (will be better assessed after a little bloat is shed). I only plan on dieting for 2 months so probably 9-10 will be attained.

Why do i picutre you replying from a treadmill?

A Westside journal.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Does this mean you'll update your journal more often?

Excited for the dieting.
    Who knows. Despite big ambitions, this year so far has left me mostly just moving side to side. My lats and shoulders have grown, chest a little. Legs are behind where they were before last years diet. Tris and bis are probably about the same. Couple that with I'm really not moving any big weight nor going to attain a super lean physique at this time any updates would certainly lack any luster.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    layoff day??? is this good or bad? sounds like a vacation between jobs, which I would assume to be good. sounds good man, keep us posted.

i was surprised to see you were supping with bcaas all the time. i had never tinkered with them until alberto suggested them with the AM cardio. i use them regularly now.. especially when i do lifting/cardio AM split.
    Well my work at the nuclear plant is always only "temporary for a maximum of 4 months/year" so it's not a suprise or anything. I take the job knowing I'm getting laid off soon after. Normally I go back to construction in between outages, but my boss never got back to me (I'm assuming he's slow right now as winter usually is). I'll be back at the nuclear plant by mid-feb to march so might as well just collect a little max-unemployment and relax for a month or so.

With regard to the BCAAs - In '09 when I was dieting I was encouraged by a local guy to up my cardio to daily. In the past I had always flirted a fine line with cardio and it seeming to atrophy me (or at least drastically flatten me out). I was using BCAA that summer and it really didn't seem an issue. Last diet too... I really hit the cardio at a high intensity -- including morning fasted HIIT and PWO fasted HIIT. Something years ago I would have NEVER delved into. In fact 6 or 7 years ago I legitimatally thought that any cardio in a diet instantly equaled some catabolism from the fear enstilled by fellow members here actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Why do i picutre you replying from a treadmill?
    No. Just. No.

Right now I'm planning on a simple 65f/250p/225c (2485 cals) training days and 75f/250p/100c (2075) non training days. I'm bout 206-207. Unsure if I'm going to start tomorrow or monday though.

damn on 10 cals per pound of bw? Won't you melt away?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I have a slow metabolism... I was on 1885 on my low carb days last year while working.

Hopefully the disruption in the job won't be a big inconvenience for you. Good luck on the cut, you bodybuilder types have a lot more will-power and focus than I do.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I like the developed plan. It's always nice to get a break time and again. For me, going back to college has been a huge break; no full-time work, just classes that are mentally stimulating, a little part-time work, and more time with the family.

I've been trying to get the early morning cardio in, but it does suck going past 30 minutes because it's so boring. I read a book last time and the time went by fast, but you can only walk when reading.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

LuNa
    Your plan sounds good and exciting. Good luck with everything!

1:03 minutes am fasted cardio today. On a scale of 1 to 10 where an average walk would be a 3 and an all out 100% HIIT spring would be a 10 the majority of this cardio was 5-7 in intensity, or about that of a light jog - a light run.

Went to paved nature trail that was very hilly. After a brief warmup I went off of it and back on a good amount using the steeper hills as I found them. Cardio trainer say I hiked 3.67 miles, at an average speed of 3.4mph for a total of 383 calories (laugh). 383 calories if I was on a flat road, this hour was good for 2-3x that. 25 degrees out and I completely saturated my undershirt and was spotting up my sweatshirt. Was very enjoyable cardio.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-04-2011 at 08:59 AM.

And I'm wearing gloves next time... UPS came just minutes after I got home. My signature for this looked like I had cerebral paulsy.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I see novus bars. Such a valuable tool when cutting the macro breakdown is almost perfect.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Those Novus bars are delicious. I only had a few of the sample bars, it really made me want to buy more of them, but I've been very cheap over the past year. I've only bought huge bags of protein powders.

An hour of cardio is insane, but at least you are outside. I would go crazy doing an hour of cardio indoors.

You didn't wear gloves? I bought some Under Armour gloves and they are working out pretty solid. They are nice because they aren't big and bulky, so you can function doing other things with your hands while wearing them. About $35, not too bad, but you can find cheaper gloves out there.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I see novus bars. Such a valuable tool when cutting the macro breakdown is almost perfect.
    Yeah they're definetly pretty presentable. My sister does quixtar (amway) and they have a whole supplement line shes always trying to sell me, regardless hell many times I blatently tell her "no, it's all garbage". Lol, on christmas she gave me a "protein bar". 300 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated), 26g cho (9g sugar), 25g protein. Might as well just take a three musketeers, swap out 50% of the sugar for sugar alcohols and add 20g of whey. What garbage, not to mention they chage $38 for a box of 12!

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Those Novus bars are delicious. I only had a few of the sample bars, it really made me want to buy more of them, but I've been very cheap over the past year. I've only bought huge bags of protein powders.

An hour of cardio is insane, but at least you are outside. I would go crazy doing an hour of cardio indoors.

You didn't wear gloves? I bought some Under Armour gloves and they are working out pretty solid. They are nice because they aren't big and bulky, so you can function doing other things with your hands while wearing them. About $35, not too bad, but you can find cheaper gloves out there.
    It was honestly a lot of fun. Between that and some leg action this evening they're pretty tired. I'll probably just wear a pair of hunting gloves next time. Unless I start running into cardio bunnies and need to impress but I was the only person there the whole hour. Was awesome.

Threw in some one legged presses today (inspiration from Ryan). Good ****. I did them years ago but never took to them for whatever reason. Didn't seem to bother my back (like squats can), less discomfort on my knees (squats and lunges), and didn't bother my ribs (two legged presses). Was able to get great depth and definetly a great workout for hams and glutes not just quads. I actually hit muscular failure completely to my suprise on a set of only 300lbs. I was pretty pre-fatigued but mental battle of pushing for more reps hadn't even begon yet. Next thing I know 50% through a rep I lost all power and it started coming back down on me as my leg gave out and other one flew in out of nowhere to save me before the catches did lol. I might hit these first next day.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-04-2011 at 07:26 PM.