Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of posts in the journal section

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    ahhh good ol 20 rep squats. They make me want to cry. Sadly 225 would kick my ass solid work. Do you plan to incorporate high rep squats frequently?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    I did them last week as my last set and they about killed me, haha.

I'm thinking about doing them again this week, but maybe do them at the end like you did.
    The huff and puff and feeling at the ends all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Crazy squats man. I don't think I've gone over 10 reps in at least a year.
    Lol.... crazy squats would be what you and Thomas squat. And crazy 20 rep squats would be what OR squats... he's on his way back up to 350x20! Mine were essentially a pump set lol

Quote Originally Posted by Meat_Head View Post
    (taking notes...)

How do you manage the volume you work with? Did you start with that volume when you got serious or work up to it? Do you ever take a week off?
    NO wayy. I started pretty low volume. I'm actually going to put a link to my first online journal in my next post in a minute here, you can take a look at that.

Do I ever take a week off? Yeah. I definitely did probably one full week every 6 months earlier on. But as my training got more and more instinctual rest just sort is ingrained in a little chunk here or a little chunk there. Today for instance I want to train so, so, so bad. I'm not on a schedule of train this part on this day and that part on that day but on average I've been managing 11 workouts over a 14 day span. Badly as I want to train tonight my shoulders don't feel 100% recovered for push day and as well I'm pretty DOMS'd all over maybe just a little slower in general. I actually woke up in the middle of the night and it kept me up for a while deciding that I wasn't ready to train today. Oh well. I plan to make push day tomorrow worth the wait!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    ahhh good ol 20 rep squats. They make me want to cry. Sadly 225 would kick my ass solid work. Do you plan to incorporate high rep squats frequently?
    LOL. Mr fighting for a national record squat comes in here and tries to snowball me. You could 3pps x 30 bro. STFU or GTFO no BS flattery in here 225 is bush league and you know it
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

(taking notes...)

How do you manage the volume you work with? Did you start with that volume when you got serious or work up to it? Do you ever take a week off?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ts.&highlight=

Fairly low volume. Ignoring warmup sets anywhere from about 5-9 sets for a larger muscle and about 3-6 for a smaller. Ignore my 15 year old antics.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

This is why I looked it up the other day. I wanted to show OR I've not always been a volume junkie with lots of little detail work

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...l=1#post575102
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-09-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Banned
    Rory, do you actually compete in BBing? Or just recreational?

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Rory, do you actually compete in BBing? Or just recreational?
    I'm a poseur.

The huff and puff and feeling at the ends all worth it.
    We'll see tomorrow!!! I'm probably going to do it again after my last heavy squat.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Nice squats and the milf....
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

House Lannister
    I hear ya on wanting to train so bad when you really shouldn't. I just got those sleeves in and I'm dying to try them out, but my glutes and quads disagree.

I loled going through your old journal. The workouts look very good, but it's funny to see you complaining about getting grounded from the gym. . Must be a nostalgic read for you I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I hear ya on wanting to train so bad when you really shouldn't. I just got those sleeves in and I'm dying to try them out, but my glutes and quads disagree.

I loled going through your old journal. The workouts look very good, but it's funny to see you complaining about getting grounded from the gym. . Must be a nostalgic read for you I'm sure.
    Yeah. Lol at me punching the cast iron bathtub after I got grounded from the gym...

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Thanks Brian. They weren't that tough considering I was pretty spent by that point. What I wasn't expecting was how flexible I was by that point. For years squats were my money maker and always the first exercise, it took me by surprise the different feel with everything so much more pre-loosened up.
    Higher rep squats suck no matter what. I hate doing 15 reps with 135 now! It's funny to think how I can be so lazy, but I try to warm up so I'm nice and loose.

I'm too lazy to do 15 reps on squats, but I'll be willing to load up the bar and go to the max.

That read from your old journal is so cute, 135x8. You have come such a long way. It goes to show that we all have to start some where. I think it's a great read for any one just getting into lifting with aspirations of adding size.

I think all of us previous skinny weaklings remember the ultimate accomplishment. 45 pound plates on each side of the bench press!! Epic!
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

LuNa
    Funny to read the old stuff. You have come such a long way, its amazing.

That's good stuff Rory. I will always think of you as a 20 rep guy now. You are part of the man club now

Also, laughing at the back issues from shooting archery. I remember a time when I could not pull back my brand new 60lb bow because I would start shaking so bad. I had to turn that thing way down so I could pull it with a relatively flat draw. I had it turned down so low I thought the limbs were going to pop out of the riser. lol
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I was suppose to do a set of 20 rep squats today but I forgot, lol
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

We may have to kick you out of the man club...If you weren't so damned strong
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

We'll see tomorrow!!! I'm probably going to do it again after my last heavy squat.
    Looks like it's a two a day workout day for you

But in actuality, as a competitive powerlifter do you think 20 reppers would/will serve much purpose? I think they have great application for hypertrophy and endurance but not sure how they'd fit in to a PL routine? I'm pretty unlearned in specific strength oriented endeavors to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Nice squats and the milf....
    Yeah. Unfortunately she always shows up with a long time member and her fiance who I don't think likes me much. Her fiance always wears a ****load of cologne to the gym and it's always annoyed me. Last year I was doing BB lunges and walked through a cloud of it. Afterwards I addressed him with a pretty big "wtf dude" attitude.We give each other a "whatup nod" every now and then but there's definitely a lil tension lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Higher rep squats suck no matter what. I hate doing 15 reps with 135 now! It's funny to think how I can be so lazy, but I try to warm up so I'm nice and loose.

I'm too lazy to do 15 reps on squats, but I'll be willing to load up the bar and go to the max.

That read from your old journal is so cute, 135x8. You have come such a long way. It goes to show that we all have to start some where. I think it's a great read for any one just getting into lifting with aspirations of adding size.

I think all of us previous skinny weaklings remember the ultimate accomplishment. 45 pound plates on each side of the bench press!! Epic!
    hehe. Yeah I guess there was some solid training in there for where I was at given the time. I've never got too excited about weight milestones except maybe a 4pps squat. That's probably the only time I actually lifted a true 1rm. My bests in DL and bench I could probably have added more weight and done a consecutive set the very workout or come back to in a week or so to see what my true max was, but just never bothered. Almost pathetic to think I've been training this long and only have a 4pps squat. No sugar-coated reply on this either, it doesn't bother me. I'm just stating that even the small strength levels I've attained really don't excite or concern me.

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    Funny to read the old stuff. You have come such a long way, its amazing.
    All things considered though, it's been a long time. Though some people do spin there wheel for years and years any half decent routine with some food and the right mindset will get anybody a little LBM over some years.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That's good stuff Rory. I will always think of you as a 20 rep guy now. You are part of the man club now

Also, laughing at the back issues from shooting archery. I remember a time when I could not pull back my brand new 60lb bow because I would start shaking so bad. I had to turn that thing way down so I could pull it with a relatively flat draw. I had it turned down so low I thought the limbs were going to pop out of the riser. lol
    Lol yeah. When I got that bow I had it at 60lbs and though it wasn't a struggle or anything, it wasn't exactly easy either. I cranked it up to 70 a few years later. I haven't hunted archery for a couple years now but it's a pretty easy pull/hold these days.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.

I have a real dull ache in my right shoulder, I've had it probably a half of dozen times before in my life (since 2005) and it always goes away with a little rest. I'm not overly concerned about it but I'd be silly to keep plugging away full steam not knowing the exact cause of it. Really it's almost an arthritic like pain that feels like the bone deep within is aching. All this considered I did some extra warming up and really felt out the presses before deciding if I was going to take them heavy. Didn't bother me but later with the crossovers it was pretty evident so I just took it easy and got out.

Push day + light abs abbreviated

Cable internal and external rotations I understand listing warmup stuff is lame but I figure if I'm going to log the workout I might as well log it in it's entirety since I tend to look back on these years later and like to be clued to in to everything I was doing.
    35x12 / 12
    35x12 / 12
    45x12 / 12
    45x12 / 12
    IR - 50x12, ER - 50x10

DB Press
    55x12
    55x12
    80x10
    100x4
    120x2
    130 + 10/side X 5
    130x7
    115x9.5 - damn. On pace for a 12 set, fell out of the groove on #10 and lost the rep
    115x7.5

Cable crossover standing, pegged about at knee height
    45x9
    45x6.5
    40x8
    40x7

Cable Crunches
    95x12 (stack)
    140x12 (plate pinned to the stack)
    140x12

Cable Reverser Don't know if this has a real name. I used to do it years ago and just called it that. Put a single handle on a cable and first do pushdowns with an underhand grip (technically I guess this would be a tricep pulldown?) once you fail flip the grip over to an overhand pushdown. Repeat with the other arm.
    L - 60x10 / 10, R - 60x10 / 10
    L - 70x7 / 5, R - 70x7 / 5
    L - 60x8 / 8, R - 60x8 / 8

That's it. Just a little one for me today.

130s + 10 per side X 5
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.

This kid goes 130-140lbs and thats 365

This locker room light tends to a few things. One wash me out and make me look pale and sickly as phuck and Two - bring out exceptionally fatty areas. I have a ton of fat on my lower abs you can't see in these though

Last edited by Behemoth; 02-10-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Shoulders are unreal.

Just get under the bar!

But in actuality, as a competitive powerlifter do you think 20 reppers would/will serve much purpose? I think they have great application for hypertrophy and endurance but not sure how they'd fit in to a PL routine? I'm pretty unlearned in specific strength oriented endeavors to be honest.
    I don't think they will serve a big purpose at all, but for conditioning and endurance, yes. Also, some lifters respond to high rep sets like that. When I do them, im not doing them to get stronger, im doing it for the muscle endurance.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Numbers are solid, that last side chest shot is impressive. I saw a post with your FitDay diet. Are you shooting for a weight goal on your cut or a BF goal? How's the strength been holding up so far? It seems like your lifts are getting bigger, not smaller...?

I know you think that a lot of lifters are selling themselves short on volume. What do you think is reasonable volume for a beginner or intermediate lifter? Do you recommend increasing volume over time(as you have?)?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Shoulders are unreal.
    They've always been a pretty strong point with little else than lateral raises!

I don't think they will serve a big purpose at all, but for conditioning and endurance, yes. Also, some lifters respond to high rep sets like that. When I do them, im not doing them to get stronger, im doing it for the muscle endurance.
    It scares me to think the weight you would have chose for them considering you just squatted 510x9!

Quote Originally Posted by KFeld View Post
    Numbers are solid, that last side chest shot is impressive. I saw a post with your FitDay diet. Are you shooting for a weight goal on your cut or a BF goal? How's the strength been holding up so far? It seems like your lifts are getting bigger, not smaller...?
    No weight goal. I originally thought I'd finish up in the low 190s but looks like I'll be high 190s at the end of next week when I bump 500 or so cals. I never diet to a weight goal actually, I think it's silly. I don't diet to a specific BF percentage as much as I do a visual look in my mind (obviously they're pretty closely tied) but if I look like I wanted to and look myself down and assess I'm probably 2% higher than I thought I'd be, that's fine.

Strengths beens stellar. If I weren't laid off and able to sleep 12 hours a day right now I'd probably be getting pretty run down. I go back to work monday so I'll have one more week of dieting then one week up 500 around maintenance then up another 500 for 72/weeks at that point still probably around maintenance. We'll see how it all goes.

I know you think that a lot of lifters are selling themselves short on volume. What do you think is reasonable volume for a beginner or intermediate lifter? Do you recommend increasing volume over time(as you have?)?
    That's kind of tough. I do think it is very important that a lot of fundamentals are established before going off the deep end trying to find how much volume you can get away with. I think most of the typical routine (though even they are varied) are just fine for a long time, or even forever. I think at some point it's worth a lifters while to just go off the deep end for a few months. If they've learned how to work hard and it shows because they've made good gains, I'd like to see a lifter keep that intensity the same but increase the volume by 150% or 200% for a few months just to see what happens. That's pretty much what happened with me. I always made great gains on a pretty simple routine, and then I was pushed with nearly double the volume. I already knew how to work hard and wasn't going to come in the gym and half ass just because it took twice as long. Much to my surprise my gains skyrocketed.