The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Back is looking crazy in the avatar.
    No joke, always thought that shot was ridiculous. Hope the issue clears up more speedily Rory.

Well, like you said at least you can hammer away at your legs. One definite positive is that it isn't a debilitating injury and you're able to continue with your everyday life at least. Although I know BBing is an important part, but at least other things can function how they should.

Play around with other rest and recovery techniques, find one that helps, even if it's a slight bit.

Back is sick, looks like a professional back.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Been a week... any updates? Feeling any better?

House Lannister
    He's working OT right now from 7 am to 7 pm, 6 days a week. Doesn't have much time to post or do much of anything really.

Sincerely,
    Rory's stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    He's working OT right now from 7 am to 7 pm, 6 days a week. Doesn't have much time to post or do much of anything really.

Sincerely,
    Rory's stalker.
    /Wrists Love you, kbye,
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Shoulders improving, overall condition blows. probably one more week overtime, maybe two. after which I need a full on diet for a few months, may be able to train upper very light by that time. also am inches from a job traveling with westinghouse which would mean bad things for the bodybuilding lifestyle but good things otherwise.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

If you can do it working all this overtime, you can make it work traveling.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Problem is I always regress during overtime, this time significantly. Job would mean 2-3 months of these hours in the spring and 2-3 months of these hours in the fall, both seasons on the road.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Banned
    its tough to call it. you may be able to continue to meet your lifting goals but to a lesser extent while traveling. whats the nature of the work youd be doing? glad to hear the shoulder is coming along. there is a DC shoulder stretch that has really helped me... seemingly. its been about 5 days and i daresay there is an improvement

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Shoulders improving, overall condition blows. probably one more week overtime, maybe two. after which I need a full on diet for a few months, may be able to train upper very light by that time. also am inches from a job traveling with westinghouse which would mean bad things for the bodybuilding lifestyle but good things otherwise.
    Problem is I always regress during overtime, this time significantly. Job would mean 2-3 months of these hours in the spring and 2-3 months of these hours in the fall, both seasons on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    its tough to call it. you may be able to continue to meet your lifting goals but to a lesser extent while traveling. whats the nature of the work youd be doing? glad to hear the shoulder is coming along. there is a DC shoulder stretch that has really helped me... seemingly. its been about 5 days and i daresay there is an improvement
    Sounds like it would be a god job career-wise, but not so much bbing-wise eh? What ya gonna do?

Banned
    yar. good luck either way. would be a shame if you departed though, one of the very few posters who actually adds to this forum rather than simply occupying space (like me)

I'll take the job if it's on the table no doubt. It would not be impossible to make things work, it would just require a lot of effort of me changing things. It would be a couple straight months of overtime in the spring and a couple straight months in the fall. Likely most all of the summer and winter off.

Tim - The work by definition would be reactor coolant pump technician. Westinghouse services the motors during refueling outages, they're 60,000lb, 6,000 horsepower electric motors that circulate the cooling water through the reactor. During outages they get oil changes, seal changes and other various work. They're massive but it's meticulous work, countless parts have to be aligned in to +/- 1/1000th of an inch in all directions. The motors are worth about 7 million a piece (and most plants have 3-4) so crews are overloaded so nothing gets overlooked. Everything is triple verified, QC checked, foreign material exclusion boundries setup where every wrench, dial indicator, and grain of dust gets logged in/out so nothing gets left in a closed system, hours of briefing on each shift, sometimes multiples briefs per day, sometimes days where you sit and wait 12 hours just waiting for a clearance to be posted so that you even can go to work etc etc etc. What I'm saying is the actual "work" as I tend to consider it is probably 1/5 or less of the time spent in your day, but it's still time that you don't have.

The difficulty is giving away 14 hours of your day to commute/security/work/commute 6 days a week. That leaves you 10 hours to get everything else done (sleep included). If I'm on point in and out of the gym to the point I need to be to progress I'm probably spending 20 hours a week on lifting and lifting related stuff. Cooking, grocery shopping, and even reading/posting to stay motivated.

Probably a half hour - 45 minute workout every day before work would be my best bet. I'd have to call around ahead of time to locate a gym for where I'd be going because hotel gyms are garbage usually. I've thought a lot about it and I'll definitely take it if it's there. Fortunately this season is mostly wrapped up and apart from training, I would have a while to work on drilling some new habits in before going anywhere.

This is all hypothetical. Right now I just need to wrap up this overtime stint and work on getting back into decent shape while rehabbing the shoulder. Feeling pretty confident about as of the last 3-4 days. It will likely still be months before I'm able to really push it, but at least it's come some along.

House Lannister

Remember these days dude?

Fuk off with your arms at 180 ya douche.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ell&highlight=

Don't delete this. I'm using it for future reference.

I'll take the job if it's on the table no doubt. It would not be impossible to make things work, it would just require a lot of effort of me changing things. It would be a couple straight months of overtime in the spring and a couple straight months in the fall. Likely most all of the summer and winter off.

The difficulty is giving away 14 hours of your day to commute/security/work/commute 6 days a week. That leaves you 10 hours to get everything else done (sleep included). If I'm on point in and out of the gym to the point I need to be to progress I'm probably spending 20 hours a week on lifting and lifting related stuff. Cooking, grocery shopping, and even reading/posting to stay motivated.

Probably a half hour - 45 minute workout every day before work would be my best bet. I'd have to call around ahead of time to locate a gym for where I'd be going because hotel gyms are garbage usually. I've thought a lot about it and I'll definitely take it if it's there.
    Would this position allow for you to still live where you are at, or would it require a move? I'm curious as to what list you would develop comparing the positives and negatives of accepting the position. I assume there is a potential for more $?

You'd definitely have to readjust your training, dieting, and everything else. I know that you'd make it work regardless. Would you enjoy the potential to have certain parts of the year off? Or would you get bored or opt to find some king of side work?
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 03-28-2011 at 11:16 AM.

in before fanelli finds somebody to disagree with and defends nohyperdrolsplosion-shotgunblast-magmaddragon3000

Finished up work on good Friday. Likely not going to take the westinghouse job due to travel. Likely going back to school for engineering this summer and fall. Orthopedic appt on thursday to look at my shoulder.

Banned
    sorry to hear the shoulder is still bush league. are you going vocational or undergrad for engineering? regardless,it will suit you well, youre already really smart and honing that field will be a win for you. my only piece of advice re: school is something of which you most likely well aware. stay as debt free as possible.. avoid building frills into your loans. other than the shoulder, it sounds like things are going well!

Tim - undergrad. community of beaver county has an AS pre-engineering degree that is pretty much perfect for what I need now. I can pay for it all out of pocket and its only 10 minutes from me. I only need about 45 credits to make up the technical degree that should get me into the nuc plant permanently. I have a summer semester registered and paid for already so it's no longer a speculation. Whatever turns out to be wrong with my shoulder I can say for certain that a summer in class will be better for it than a summer of construction.

As far as my shoulder goes I had my ortho appt yesterday. He articulated it about but wasn't able to draw any conclusions (or even suspicions from what I could tell) on what it may be. He asked if I wanted to get it MRI'd and I said as soon as possible. Was able to get one scheduled for today and did. I was also able to get the follow up appointment with my ortho to analyze the results on monday so I got pretty lucky as far as scheduling so far. They MRI tech was pretty cool, I asked him if he'd let me look at the images before I left and he burnt me a CD with them. I've been looking at them all day comparing them against googled images of MRI of torn rotators and healthy ones. I must have gone back and forth 10 times being convinced one way or the other. Its impressive that docs are able to reap such definitive data from those things. I've about given up playing doctor and just figure it's only three more days. Also stopped at a bike dealer down the road from the MRI office to sit on an R1... it was a big mistake. Gonna put my 6 up for sale and test the waters to see if it's worth me upgrading.

and cody from dual survival is badass

Tim - undergrad. community of beaver county has an AS pre-engineering degree that is pretty much perfect for what I need now. I can pay for it all out of pocket and its only 10 minutes from me. I only need about 45 credits to make up the technical degree that should get me into the nuc plant permanently. I have a summer semester registered and paid for already so it's no longer a speculation. Whatever turns out to be wrong with my shoulder I can say for certain that a summer in class will be better for it than a summer of construction.

I must have gone back and forth 10 times being convinced one way or the other. Its impressive that docs are able to reap such definitive data from those things. I've about given up playing doctor and just figure it's only three more days.
    I like the plan with school, it sounds like a great decision for your future. Congratulations on that Rory.

I am happy my wife and I made the decision to return to school. Over the past 3 years I have not regretted that decision, not even once.

Onto playing doctor, isn't that what we always do when it comes to injuries? lol I always just tell myself "all I need it rest." My back issue was the first time I broke down and saw a doctor about it. It looks like we both had to swallow the truth that "rest" wasn't going to geti t done.

Hopefully the results are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post

Hopefully the results are terrible.
    dick

dick
    LOL, I am a dick.

Edit "hopefully the results are not terrible"

Talk about wishing bad fortunes on someone, haha.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 04-29-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Banned
    awesome re: school

i want a bike.. but its just so dangerous in FL. i know it would be a bad decision

Furthering your education is always a good choice. Engineering is a great choice as well, I keep trying to steer my kids that way.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    awesome re: school

i want a bike.. but its just so dangerous in FL. i know it would be a bad decision
    Where in Florida are you?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By: