The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    JB Weld is amazing. I cracked my case on my CBR954 and JB Welded that and it held for 3 years! Then I finally got a new case. Sorry for the random post in here. I check out your log once in a while and I felt the bike convo deserved a comment. Good luck healing up too.

Glad you are on the mend, great mindset Rory - keep being patient man, the future will be much brighter on all fronts.

House Lannister
    Fuck yea a workout! Finally motherfucker!

Good shit dude. Consistent updates from now on. Or I post more annoying shit like this.

Last edited by chevelle2291; 07-18-2011 at 09:49 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I'm not against dual journaling but I'm not leaving somewhere that spoonfed and brought me up for 9 years. Assholes come and go, let them get under your skin and they win.
    Then dual-wield some journals brosef.

Good to see you back mate.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

A workout? How cool is that?
    Really good to see you back in the gym. You know to take it slow, so I won't worry about you
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Luke
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post

Journal on IM.
    Is this where Mike and Tim went too?

yes.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Had my final ortho checkup today. From my discussion with the doc seemed my lifting has been pretty conservative. He said I'm allowed to pressing off a bench but advised using DB's over BB which is fine I never BB press at all. He also said that hyperextending into a very deep press isn't necessarily "dangerous". He agreed it is still the most "dangerous" position to be in even moreso than an OH or military but he was basically saying be careful. Regardless I don't plan to press off a bench for quite some time yet and when I do they will start pretty shallow, but I feel a lot more confident in upping some weight on the DB floor presses. I also asked about bicep limitations and he told me I shouldn't really have to worry about it by this point. Obviously I'm not going to jump from the 30s I've been using to 60s or anything but it's nice to know that I may be able to start upping the intensity more than I have.

Still waiting for "lifting" to actually feel like lifting again before I start that new journal.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

That's good news. Take it slow and stay healthy.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Did he give you a rough estimate on when you could start training intensely again? I'm guessing a few months?

Edit: You would LOVE this trainer at my gym. fine as fuck. Short, blonde hair, good tan, really fucking cute.

I shall get pics if I can pull it off without looking like the creep I am.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 08-04-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Had my final ortho checkup today. From my discussion with the doc seemed my lifting has been pretty conservative. He said I'm allowed to pressing off a bench but advised using DB's over BB which is fine I never BB press at all. He also said that hyperextending into a very deep press isn't necessarily "dangerous". He agreed it is still the most "dangerous" position to be in even moreso than an OH or military but he was basically saying be careful. Regardless I don't plan to press off a bench for quite some time yet and when I do they will start pretty shallow, but I feel a lot more confident in upping some weight on the DB floor presses. I also asked about bicep limitations and he told me I shouldn't really have to worry about it by this point. Obviously I'm not going to jump from the 30s I've been using to 60s or anything but it's nice to know that I may be able to start upping the intensity more than I have.

Still waiting for "lifting" to actually feel like lifting again before I start that new journal.
    Nice to hear there's progress. I know you went through surgery, but sounds like where I was a couple of months ago. I took it easy, but I wish I had taken it even easier. The doctor told me the same thing after about 6 weeks, but I could've waited longer before upping intesity. DB floor presses sound like a perfect idea. Funny enough though standing BB presses and seated DB presses are what really made my shoulders healthy.

Looking forward to your next journal, bro, they're like a guidebook into weightlifting.

House Lannister

Thought you would like this

I was literally just reading that on Martins page yesterday and lol'd at the jpeg

House Lannister
    I was literally just reading that on Martins page yesterday and lol'd at the jpeg
    Is your opinion on IF still along the lines of it being a behavioral convenience and has little to do with partitioning?

No way in hell could I eat all my food in 8 hours. I would have to sit at the table and eat all day.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Is your opinion on IF still along the lines of it being a behavioral convenience and has little to do with partitioning?

No way in hell could I eat all my food in 8 hours. I would have to sit at the table and eat all day.
    I believe that the psychological benefits are the meat of it yeah. If it does have tangible physiological advantages I don't think they're substantial enough to make eating in an IF style worth adopting unless it's equally as practicable (or more so) than a traditional eating style.

Having said that even though I don't do "IF" to a T, I do on most occasions not eat for the majority early hours of my day. Quite often not until pre-workout or around 5-7 pm. In which case I can usually eat casually and end up +/- a few hundred of maintenance. When I say casually I mean casually. As in yesterday my first meal was a 60g protein shake at 6pm and then my second meal was out with friends eating buffalo chicken fingers and beer. In said instance I don't even bother making an attempt to count where I'm at calorically because I know it's not possible to be way off. Had I ate 4 meals prior that day I may have wound up +1500 calories over maintenance. While I can't tell you exactly where I was I'm sure I was at best 400 or 500 over. I think if I counted I would have been near on the nose though.

I'm training pull and legs at 90% intensity. Push is 50-60. I'm waiting for some mad doms to go away to see what my labrum feels like. If it feels recovered and not stretched or achy by the time my doms go away I'll probably continue to up the intensity on push. Then again it could already be torn since when I tore it I never even really noticed and couldn't tell you when it happened.

Glad you are pushing it on most things now.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Good news on the shoulder dude.

House Lannister
    I'm training pull and legs at 90% intensity. Push is 50-60. I'm waiting for some mad doms to go away to see what my labrum feels like. If it feels recovered and not stretched or achy by the time my doms go away I'll probably continue to up the intensity on push. Then again it could already be torn since when I tore it I never even really noticed and couldn't tell you when it happened.
    60% is pretty solid. I look forward to the new journal when it happenz.

glad to hear your back is coming along nicely.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Might as well update. I've lifted consistently since my last update two months ago but nothing crazy. I've had days where I feel like I'm improving and days where I feel like I'm worse off than before surgery. If I had to wager then my unfortunate consensus would be that most likely my shoulder is not fixed, but I could be wrong.

I've spent some time researching more ortho's in my area because I want a follow up (and hopefully MRI) opinion from more docs. Docs wouldn't schedule me for a second/follow up opinion until 6 months post OP (which was yesterday). I bugged the hell out of one of the practices I wanted to see and got them to schedule me for an appt two weeks ago, however the appt isn't until early Dec. The second doc I want to see wouldn't schedule me until I could fax over my medical records pertinent to my injury... which after requesting weeks ago also just came yesterday. So tomorrow I fax them and try to get a second follow up opinion before I either start to push things... or prepare for round two.

Todays workout was one of those good days. During my workouts I've been lightly stretching my shoulder into the spots that are still tight. The two places that really still feel impinged are when an extreme overhead stretch and a pseudo post-delt pec-deck motion stretch. Both of which have been consistently progressing but I still have the unstable feeling that initially prompted me to see a doc.

I'm staying optomistic that tightnes I feel is normal post op (the tightness has consistently imroved) may be normal, but really still want that MRI so I know know one way or the other. I will surely update when I find out what's what.

It's crazy how much lifting has meant to me, I have no confidence without a streak of killer workouts. I am determined to rectify all that has been lost given the chance.

Schools kicked my ass but I've kicked it back. Really I should look at it as a blessing that training hasn't been in the forefront at this time. I studied probably 30 cumulative hours for a chemistry test last weekend and was LIVID when I only got a 83%... until I learned the mean score was 61%. My other classes I've been able to keep all A's.

I got a new place and it's been great living on my own without roommates for the first time since I moved out 6 years ago.

I really look forward to the time when I can post completely positive updates. I know it's more fun to follow a journal when it's on the up and up but just figured I might as well post something since it's been months. I will certainly update again when I know one way or another with where my shoulders at.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 11-04-2011 at 04:30 AM.

This has definitely been a mixed blessing for you, school should come first anyways at this point.

I can understand and appreciate your desire to get a second opinion, all you can do now is hold on another month to hear what they have to say.

Wish you the best!! Lifting is a big part of all of our lives, it would be great to see you back to normal. No doubt the healing process would take some time, hopefully it's not too much longer.

Had my LONG awaited second opinion today. New docs wouldn't see me until 6 months post op and then getting in with a reputable one took another month.

First off his PA was a dick. Stops mid sentence in some preliminary questions to pull his vibrating blackberry out of his pocket and goes "oh this is a colleague of mine I gotta take this". Steps outside the door and lets it SLAM. Talks on the phone right outside the room and it was no professional call, it was a friend and he was making social plans. Unbelievably unprofessional IMO.

Anyhow. After asshat left the Doc saw me. What I really wanted is to have a follow up MRI to simply confirm or rule out reinjury. Doc wasn't having it though. Did all range of motion tests and felt up the scap as I moved about. He says my right scap is about 1cm higher than my left and I still have limited range of motion compared to my left. He said first thing was quit the lifting until that was corrected and restored. Had me do a stretch that my PT's never had me do months ago and he said should have been very important. He wrote me a scrip for a PT he highly reccomended and he's far from me but I'm going to see him on thurs. I won't be able to see him regularly but I'm hoping can get a good assessment/opinion and routine of what to work on that I can do myself.

The Doc said [in essence] that this could very well be both the cause for the initial injury, and the reason I don't feel recovered. Though I have reservations that there may not have been an injury re-sustained, it's worth a shot to work on for 4-6 weeks. It's not like I was getting anywhere with my training that there's really anything to lose.

I'm locking this because at this point I don't like discussing this or anything about what the future holds for me. It's frustrating to no end when I'm asked things like "how long until you're better" or "how hard are you able to train right now". The answers are "I don't know/ever?" and "not like I want to be able to, it sucks so don't bring it up because it's extremely disheartening to be stripped of".

I'll update and maybe unlock if it the near future holds optimistic outlooks that don't pain me so much to bring up.