The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    I saw the new PT today and he was able to shed quite a bit of light on his experience with slap tears. He was actually the PT for the pitt pirates a while back and nobody suffers more slap tears than baseball players. It's a drive for me and I had initially only planned on seeing him once for his opinion and direction but he convinced me to follow up a few more times.

I'm going to work under his direction for a while and see if things improve. If the do, great. If they don't, I'm going forward with my lifting anyways. The reason I haven't pushed into more intense lifting is not because my shoulder has physically limited me, but simply out of fear because it doesn't feel like normal. I'm in no pain in day to day activities nor was I these last few months as I eased back into lifting. People opt out of slap tear surgery all the time. I know it will not repair on it's on without surgery if it is indeed disrupted, but the more opinions I get and the more research I continually do it seems that even if surgery has been performed successfully, never is there a case where an athlete at a high level performs like he did prior to, and maybe that's just where I'm at. If I can't perform at 100% then I would rather try my luck at 90% than just spin my wheels at 50% in a futile belief that I'll come around to 100%.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-16-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

...if I were a betting man...

http://web.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/72-B/2/314.pdf

Have the exact symptoms as well as the only way I can replicate my lingering discomfort (outside of lifting) is through forward flexion medial roatation and horizontal adduction... just as described in above article. Also

"...Coracoid impingement is a rare cause of anterior shoulder
    pain, which should be considered especially after the
    failure of previous surgery..."

From another article
    "Local anesthetic injection between the lesser tuberosity and coracoid eliminates symptoms in patients with coracoid impingment."

Time to sched another DR appt and have him shoot me up to find out...
    Last edited by Behemoth; 12-23-2011 at 04:19 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

fuuuuuu

Today I had my third opinion from the orth I've REALLY wanted to see since desiring a second opinion. He wasn't the easiest to get in with and it took an hour an half from when I signed in to even get taken back... which I found out shortly after is because he actually talked with me and didn't shuttle me in and out in 5 minutes like most docs.

Anyhow, he's ordered a follow up MRI for me but his suspicions are not good. He suspects my prior surgery was unsuccessful as well as potentially other issues. I think he said acromial impingement. The MRI will shed more light, but have to wait for the insurance to approve so it can be scheduled.

We briefly talked about surgery options IF the MRI is suggestive. He mentioned possibly doing a bicep tenodesis which I know of and have researched, but will have to REALLY research more in depth if it turns out I do need surgery and he wants to go that route. He also mentioned potentially shaving my acromion if there is indeed impingement.

This guy seems to have done a lot of follow up surgeries from other doctors. One of which was a college pitcher who had a type IV slap tear and was able to return to baseball and currently pitches in the 90s and is being scouted by the indians.... that's amazing.

Though I've been optomistic, I still don't believe my symptoms are going to be completely resolved through conservative measures. While I in no way shape or form want to need to have slap repair surgery again, I would honestly rather get news that I need some sort of minor surgery than be just told to go do more physical therapy. We will see what happens.

This opinion threw a monkey wrench into my plans for the year. I was going to go back to work at the nuc plant in the spring and forego spring classes (which I don't have the money whatsoever). But my insurance expires when I turn 26 in september. While if needed, I could probably still squeeze the surgery in after I get laid off in april-may I really don't like the idea of being uninsured so shortly after potentially being under the knife. So I'm planning for the worst and registered for spring classes (the first day of which I've already missed) and threw myself into debt I really don't want to be in. Really, my whole financial situation could get really ugly by opting out of work this spring, but I guess that's an easier fix than a injured shoulder without insurance...

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

He noted the strongest evidence was that I fail the obriens test.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-sTz...eature=related
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Had my new MRI this afternoon. Hurt like hell after the dye injection, didn't hurt much for my previous one. Maybe the doc just poorly placed the xylocaine? Follow up with the results isn't until the 30th.

Traded in my gas goblin truck in on a 6speed cts this evening as well. Depressing day to trade a 4x4 in on a rwd as we got several inches of snow and are getting a few more tomorrow. ghey. wanttoredline.jpg
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-19-2012 at 08:54 PM.

MRI results consisted of 2 conflicting opinions. The PA brought up the MRI in the room while I was waiting for the doctor. With 5 thumbnail shots showing I was pretty sure of what I was looking at. Doc came and read the report from the radiologist which stated no reinjury of the labrum, rotator or pretty much anything. No. Dr was surprised and says well then where are your symptoms coming from. We go through the tests again and he keeps his opinion. He then looks through the MRI images and as plainly as I thought I saw it notes the clearly evident leak of contrast dye from my shoulder. He basically said the radiologist must have been an idiot. He encouraged me to get a third opinion which I'm going to on thursday. I'm pretty confident of what it will be.

We talked for while about treatment if needed and it's pretty clear from what I've researched and what he's expressed that if a slap repair was unsuccessful the first time, it's far more unlikely that it will be successful trying a second time. The option is a bicep tenodesis which involves cutting the long head of the bicep off of the labrum where it is then shortened and anchored either into the humeral head or on the pec. The humeral head is where he said he would anchor in my situation no question about it.

I've been reading a lot of tenodesis the last few weeks and I still can't seem to get a clear answer on the shortcomings of them. They're apparently far more successful than slap repairs and from the many reports I've read everyone says it was a great decision. So I haven't been able to understand why they don't just do them instead of slap repairs. I asked the doc today and he kind of sighed with a somewhat agreeing nod and basically just said they always try to put the body back together in it's natural state before altering the anatomy.

What I haven't found yet (surprisingly) is reports from weightlifters who have had the procedure done. I keep finding 38 year old soccer mom reports on how much better life is now that they can carry the groceries in again or load their injured golden retriever into their suv. I found one report where a doctor told the patient they'd never throw with the same velocity if they had it done.

Anybody know anyone who's had one?

Additional note. My left shoulder is bothering me also.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    MRI results consisted of 2 conflicting opinions. The PA brought up the MRI in the room while I was waiting for the doctor. With 5 thumbnail shots showing I was pretty sure of what I was looking at. Doc came and read the report from the radiologist which stated no reinjury of the labrum, rotator or pretty much anything. No. Dr was surprised and says well then where are your symptoms coming from. We go through the tests again and he keeps his opinion. He then looks through the MRI images and as plainly as I thought I saw it notes the clearly evident leak of contrast dye from my shoulder. He basically said the radiologist must have been an idiot. He encouraged me to get a third opinion which I'm going to on thursday. I'm pretty confident of what it will be.

We talked for while about treatment if needed and it's pretty clear from what I've researched and what he's expressed that if a slap repair was unsuccessful the first time, it's far more unlikely that it will be successful trying a second time. The option is a bicep tenodesis which involves cutting the long head of the bicep off of the labrum where it is then shortened and anchored either into the humeral head or on the pec. The humeral head is where he said he would anchor in my situation no question about it.

I've been reading a lot of tenodesis the last few weeks and I still can't seem to get a clear answer on the shortcomings of them. They're apparently far more successful than slap repairs and from the many reports I've read everyone says it was a great decision. So I haven't been able to understand why they don't just do them instead of slap repairs. I asked the doc today and he kind of sighed with a somewhat agreeing nod and basically just said they always try to put the body back together in it's natural state before altering the anatomy.

What I haven't found yet (surprisingly) is reports from weightlifters who have had the procedure done. I keep finding 38 year old soccer mom reports on how much better life is now that they can carry the groceries in again or load their injured golden retriever into their suv. I found one report where a doctor told the patient they'd never throw with the same velocity if they had it done.

Anybody know anyone who's had one?

Additional note. My left shoulder is bothering me also.
    You are making me never want to bb press again. This, and another thread on IM talking about shoulder issues has me scared shitless.

Damn man sounds terrible. Really hope you get things taken care of eventually.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    You are making me never want to bb press again. This, and another thread on IM talking about shoulder issues has me scared shitless.
    I never bb pressed to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Damn man sounds terrible. Really hope you get things taken care of eventually.
    Thanks Nick, so do I

House Lannister
    I know. It makes me want to avoid any remotely shoulder-unhealthy training.

I did a search on bb.com for a tenodesis report, but nothing concrete came up.

I know. It makes me want to avoid any remotely shoulder-unhealthy training.

I did a search on bb.com for a tenodesis report, but nothing concrete came up.
    There's a lot of info on them on slaptear.com but it's all non-lifters to casual lifters at best.

The doc I'm seeing mentioned in passing during my first appt that he worked and trained under dr james andrews in AL. He mentioned him again today and also noted that he for the most part was the first doctor to even recognize and treat labral tears in the early 80s. Googled the guy tonight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_A...28physician%29

He's the doc that put like 15 anchors in drew brees's labrum a few years before winning the superbowl, that's insane.

Hopefully it rubbed off well on his students, fourth guy down (Waltrip) is the doctor I'm being seen by now and will likely return to after my additional opinion on thursday.
    http://www.ehow.com/list_6053103_ort...nsylvania.html
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-31-2012 at 09:52 PM.

House Lannister
    I've had a bicep tonodesis also, roughly 7 weeks ago. From what I was told by my OS and by sniffing around the net aesthetically you look the same, as it is screwed using a interference screw or anchored into the groove. Meaning it tracks still through the bicipital groove just obviously doesn't continue and attach into the supraglenoid tubercle.

There is another method of attaching near the musculotendinous junction of the LHB, near the inferior border of the pectoralis major tendon but I havn't found or looked at much info on this method yet.

As for function and strength, it works as before, the tendon atttachment is just as strong if not stronger i am told then originally. One thing you do lose is anywhere from 5-10% of throwing power. This is due to the long head of bicep tendon works for flexion in the shoulder, but this really is only really an issue for serious throwing athletes.

Cheers,
    Sharpy.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0575993&page=1

House Lannister
    I got a complete tear of one of my proximal bicep tendon from doing pullups. I head a few snapping sounds and felt pain in my shoulder.

For me, i went ahead with my surgery because i wanted to lift again and my future job in the fitness industry required me to do it, so i got it repaired.

Well, the MRI revealed i had a complete tear of my proximal bicep tendon(long head) and also a small labrum tear. Both of these were caused when i changed my grip while hanging from a pullup bar, a freak injury.

Anyway, the doc said if i wanted to continue lifting the torn bi had to be repaired however for the labral tear, it would heal by itself over time as long as i refrain form lifting for a few months. Fixing the labral would be complicated and there was a risk that i may end up worse if i operated on the labral. Therefore i went ahead with just the bi.

The surgery for my bi is known as Bicep Tenodesis, more info here: http://orthopedics.about.com/od/shou.../tenodesis.htm

The operation lasted for an hour and a half and after surgery, i awoke to find my arm in a sling but surprisingly I felt minimal pain. I was told to to move my arm and especially not to extend my arm for fear of tearing the repaired tendon.

I was discharged the next day and i was in the sling for 6 weeks. I did physiotherapy at home as the exercises were simple and didn't need any equipment other than my other arm to do.

After 6 weeks i removed my sling to find myself with a stiff shoulder. I'm currently 8 weeks post op, and so far the stiff shoulder is getting better day by day. I have petty good ROM in my shoulder and i'm walking pretty normal. There is difficulty in scratching my back with that arm though, as any behind the back movement is limited because of lack of ROM and pain. The shape of the bicep even though repaired, still doesn't seem right when i do a front bicep pose but when its hanging down, looks pretty good.

The doctor said i would get 10%-15% of my strength back with the repair and not more because i took too long a time between the day the injury occurred and the day i went for surgery. The layoff was 4 months to be exact. As a result my tendon is degenerated.

Well, good luck to you and hope for the best!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4155671&page=1

I've had a bicep tonodesis also, roughly 7 weeks ago. From what I was told by my OS and by sniffing around the net aesthetically you look the same, as it is screwed using a interference screw or anchored into the groove. Meaning it tracks still through the bicipital groove just obviously doesn't continue and attach into the supraglenoid tubercle.

There is another method of attaching near the musculotendinous junction of the LHB, near the inferior border of the pectoralis major tendon but I havn't found or looked at much info on this method yet.

As for function and strength, it works as before, the tendon atttachment is just as strong if not stronger i am told then originally. One thing you do lose is anywhere from 5-10% of throwing power. This is due to the long head of bicep tendon works for flexion in the shoulder, but this really is only really an issue for serious throwing athletes.

Cheers,
    Sharpy.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0575993&page=1
    I got a complete tear of one of my proximal bicep tendon from doing pullups. I head a few snapping sounds and felt pain in my shoulder.

For me, i went ahead with my surgery because i wanted to lift again and my future job in the fitness industry required me to do it, so i got it repaired.

Well, the MRI revealed i had a complete tear of my proximal bicep tendon(long head) and also a small labrum tear. Both of these were caused when i changed my grip while hanging from a pullup bar, a freak injury.

Anyway, the doc said if i wanted to continue lifting the torn bi had to be repaired however for the labral tear, it would heal by itself over time as long as i refrain form lifting for a few months. Fixing the labral would be complicated and there was a risk that i may end up worse if i operated on the labral. Therefore i went ahead with just the bi.

The surgery for my bi is known as Bicep Tenodesis, more info here: http://orthopedics.about.com/od/shou.../tenodesis.htm

The operation lasted for an hour and a half and after surgery, i awoke to find my arm in a sling but surprisingly I felt minimal pain. I was told to to move my arm and especially not to extend my arm for fear of tearing the repaired tendon.

I was discharged the next day and i was in the sling for 6 weeks. I did physiotherapy at home as the exercises were simple and didn't need any equipment other than my other arm to do.

After 6 weeks i removed my sling to find myself with a stiff shoulder. I'm currently 8 weeks post op, and so far the stiff shoulder is getting better day by day. I have petty good ROM in my shoulder and i'm walking pretty normal. There is difficulty in scratching my back with that arm though, as any behind the back movement is limited because of lack of ROM and pain. The shape of the bicep even though repaired, still doesn't seem right when i do a front bicep pose but when its hanging down, looks pretty good.

The doctor said i would get 10%-15% of my strength back with the repair and not more because i took too long a time between the day the injury occurred and the day i went for surgery. The layoff was 4 months to be exact. As a result my tendon is degenerated.

Well, good luck to you and hope for the best!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4155671&page=1

I've come across those already, but thanks. They're basically just stating that they had the recently underwent the procedure and they're just sharing their read knowledge on the topic. I'm looking for lifters who had it done years prior and can report on what the long term effects and/or limitations would be.

Since surgery I've seen three docs and one radiologist who don't seem to agree on my shoulder.

Got shot with cortisone today. This doctor says while yes there may still be evidence some separation of the labrum from the GH joint there isn't necessarily reason to necessarily worry about it. He said based on my strength and range of motion that it's not indicative of a standard labal issues. Which is VERY true, I don't exhibit standard labrum symptoms. BUT... neither did I before surgery and when the doc opened me up sure enough there was a type two slap lesion.

We'll see what the steroid implicates or doesn't within the next few days to a week. He told me once it sets in to be cognizant of it, but go ahead and use it and see what happens and what I feel in the shoulder as oppose to before it. Any change or not.

Additionally I really didn't like this doctor. I don't know if he was about to eat lunch or what but he came in and did the shoulder articulations and evaluation, answered a couple questions and as I was still asking kept trying to walk out the door. I still had more questions for him but he'd get another step out the door in between every one until he was talking to me from in the hall barely leaning into the doorway. I really don't understand DR's who conduct themselves this way. You could be the most brilliant and talented doctor at your discipline but ruin your credence and look like a shitty doctor when you can't even spend a few minutes to discuss with the patient.

House Lannister
    i'm a little confused. Is surgery absolutely necessary again or are they seeing what the cortizone shots do for ya?

Doctor sounds like an ass. You must hate the show House.

i'm a little confused. Is surgery absolutely necessary again or are they seeing what the cortizone shots do for ya?

Doctor sounds like an ass. You must hate the show House.
    You're confused? I'm confused, every doctor tells me something different. The shot is like this -- If it works it doesn't mean I don't have an issue or that surgery wouldn't attempt to solve the issue. It means that if it relieves my symptoms, along with my shoulder stability and range of motion, that the issues may be something that can just be managed.

In all likelihood I'm skeptical of even getting anything out of the shot. My symptoms are not deep within the shoulder where the injection went, but fairly shallow in the front of the delt from the coracoid process and out a few inches. If this shot doesn't reduce discomfort then it's more indicative of bicep issues.

This is just a why-the-hell-not-at-this-point-shot-in-the-dark before I jump back to the other doctor for more discussion on surgery.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-02-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Went ahead and trained push today to see what the shoulder would feel like. First workout in 3 months since the doc I saw at that time told me to stop. One says stop, one says go, one say surgery, one says coritsone, one implicates nerve issues, two say scapular winging, one says tight posterior capsule, one says re-tear, one says may be a normal abnormality

Trained push. Don't really feel like the shot put the goods on the spot of issue. Said F-it and trained at a high intensity (all things considered) carefully. The only pressing I have done in the last year has been some db floor presses up to 80s. Tried some DB pressing off a bench up to a few sets of 90x7 which was about 1 rep from failure with my slow deliberate cadence. Didn't really bother it but then again I could still DB press right up until surgery without it really bothering it, just that same feeling of being on the verge of disaster.

Few other movements. Nothing exciting. Not sure where to go from here. Follow up with the doctor that gave me the shot is in a week and a half. Maybe continue to train with an increasing intensity up until then. I was about a breath away from signing my shoulder away into another surgery just a week ago (and in all likelihood will still happen) so what do I have to lose. Maybe I'll find my shoulder is safely capable of progressively overloading, though I don't count on it.

edit - post #6k
    Last edited by Behemoth; 02-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.

House Lannister
    Regardless, it is good to see you move some weight around. Also, lol at you being able to push around the 90s while being injured. From what you were saying, I thought the strength was much, much worse than that.

Since surgery I've seen three docs and one radiologist who don't seem to agree on my shoulder.

Got shot with cortisone today. This doctor says while yes there may still be evidence some separation of the labrum from the GH joint there isn't necessarily reason to necessarily worry about it. He said based on my strength and range of motion that it's not indicative of a standard labal issues. Which is VERY true, I don't exhibit standard labrum symptoms. BUT... neither did I before surgery and when the doc opened me up sure enough there was a type two slap lesion.

We'll see what the steroid implicates or doesn't within the next few days to a week. He told me once it sets in to be cognizant of it, but go ahead and use it and see what happens and what I feel in the shoulder as oppose to before it. Any change or not.

Additionally I really didn't like this doctor. I don't know if he was about to eat lunch or what but he came in and did the shoulder articulations and evaluation, answered a couple questions and as I was still asking kept trying to walk out the door. I still had more questions for him but he'd get another step out the door in between every one until he was talking to me from in the hall barely leaning into the doorway. I really don't understand DR's who conduct themselves this way. You could be the most brilliant and talented doctor at your discipline but ruin your credence and look like a shitty doctor when you can't even spend a few minutes to discuss with the patient.
    Trust me, those guys don't get it and I don't think they ever will. I've spent some afternoons shadowing some emergy docs and whatnot with some pretty bad experiences. But, one general surgeon really took the cake. He would spend, on average, 30 seconds with his patients post-op. I had to go to the nurse and ask her to fill my presence form because he hadn't spoken a word to me the whole time which was about 1 hour.

I've come across those already, but thanks. They're basically just stating that they had the recently underwent the procedure and they're just sharing their read knowledge on the topic. I'm looking for lifters who had it done years prior and can report on what the long term effects and/or limitations would be.
    I quickly looked at some info on tenodesis but didn't find anything interesting. I can't promise anything, but I have a friend who's working in orthopedics right now, so maybe he can give me a heads up on the surgery. I'll put it on my calendar and try to get back to you with the info this week.

EDIT: Worst case scenario, go to your University's med school and ask for up to date info at the library, you should get some interesting sources there. I'm doing orthopedics in three months, which will be too late obviously.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 02-05-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quit bein a puss. No one hurts themselves with 225.

Rory, have you tried BB movements instead? How do those feel? I have something in my posterior capsule that flairs up from time to time, and doing DB movements aggravates it way worse than BB movements.

I feel you on the Dr stuff though. Back in highschool I had one doctor tell me I would be lucky to be able to pitch past that level. Then I saw another Dr who had a good reputation (much like Andrews) and I was able to go on and pitch another 5 years in D1 relatively pain free with no issue.

Can you actually make your injury WORSE? Or at this point, is there not much to lose? If it is the latter, I say just work in a higher rep range for anything that may put pressure on your injury. You can still grow fine from that.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-06-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Quit bein a puss. No one hurts themselves with 225.
    haha

Rory, have you tried BB movements instead? How do those feel? I have something in my posterior capsule that flairs up from time to time, and doing DB movements aggravates it way worse than BB movements.
    Apart from BB hip thrusts no I don't think I've touched a barbell since my injury

I feel you on the Dr stuff though. Back in highschool I had one doctor tell me I would be lucky to be able to pitch past that level. Then I saw another Dr who had a good reputation (much like Andrews) and I was able to go on and pitch another 5 years in D1 relatively pain free with no issue. Pitcher eh? Intrigued. What was the complication you were having and what was the reputable drs solution?

Can you actually make your injury WORSE? Or at this point, is there not much to lose? If it is the latter, I say just work in a higher rep range for anything that may put pressure on your injury. You can still grow fine from that.
    This is what I really don't know. If I can't make it worse them I'm all for making an attempt to train at a high intensity, if pain or discomfort never exceeded my current level then I could certainly live with it. I didn't stop training when I initially got the injury because it inhibited me. I stopped out of caution.
    space

My issue in highschool was a high degree of laxity (my shoulder would pop, crack, and grind like crazy just moving it around...it was really painful) and a ridiculously tight posterior capsule. I didn't get an MRI, but I most likely had an issue with my labrum. I also had what they call a sick scapula...my shoulder was drooping way below my other one. The solution for that was the blackburn movements and doing the sleeper stretch 5-6 times daily.

I wish the solution was something you aren't most likely already doing, but it was just your basic run of the mill rotator cuff stuff.

The thing is, MOST pitchers don't have healthy shoulders. Do an MRI on any D1/pro pitcher, and he most likely has a tear/some other type of damage. They can go on to pitch years because of their ability to mitigate the pain by just being consistent with the prehab/rehab stuff. I know that is how I got through college relatively pain free. But if I slacked, I really paid the price. Oh and my fastball was in the 90-94 range even though I was told "you won't pitch without pain again".

The labrum can be really tricky. Many of the pitchers I met who had this injury put off surgery and just pitched with the tear. Only if the pain got unbearable, or their fastball dropped considerably, did they have the surgery.

I haven't seen the extent of your injury, but based on how you describe it, if I were in your shoes and had the passion you have about BBing, I would just bust my ass on the rehab stuff (which I am sure you are already doing) and continue lifting. I would just find safer movements to use for my shoulders/chest...probably hammer strength stuff in a 12-15 rep range. I know you love DB stuff, but when I think of labrum tears I think of instability, and to me it seems that it is a higher risk trying to stabilize a heavy ass DB over your head with a shoulder that is already unstable.

http://orthodoc.aaos.org/JamesDavidsonMD/SLAPiii.pdf

All the way at the bottom are the blackburns...they really helped me.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-06-2012 at 09:06 AM.