The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Good shit man, I am sure you will grow just as well...and even if you grow slightly slower, who cares? As long as you don't have to take long layoffs due to injury. Then after a few months of injury free training, you can post some update pics that Ryan can fap to.

As for being depressed about the worthless smut, if a guy says that never happened to him in his life, he is lying.
    I actually thought about an update pic last night. My diet is shit when I can't train but the last 2 or 3 weeks has been solid, couple that with muscles that haven't been filled out in 2 or 3 months and maybe a small drop in bodyfat and I feel like a boss. But in reality I'm pretty sloppy and considering where I used to be any "update" pics would be probably be a shock at how small and fat I am these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    So what's the diet like at the moment? Have you started tracking cals/macros since you started lifting again? Or did you never stop doing that?
    My diet is about 2300-2500. 50% shakes, 25% frosted mini wheats with PB2, 25% misc. Weight is up from 190 to 195 as of the last two weeks but bodyfat is probably silghtly down. Mostly just more hydrated muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Hack Squats definitely can make you feel weak. If I use the normal stance, back to the pad, I am much weaker. It places much more stress on your quads and doesn't allow as much posterior work.

I should start doing that so I can slow down my back-side hypertrophy.
    Ya, my quads > my hams my hacks are that much more pathetic. I didn't use it last week and won't be this week either. Last week was a whole bunch of lunges and leg curls and that's pretty much what it'll likely consist mostly of this week also.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Came in to post this. 9/10 on POF, this is not real life.
    Ya, was not srs.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I think there are more people than Ryan who want updates, but the fapping might be all him.

I am shamelessly guilty of being "heartbroken" over a girl before.

Is the shoulder still mad from you handling 110's a few days back?

I know I'm mad that you handled 110's without a great deal of training. I'm stuck at 85's
    That girl was satan incarnate. I lol'd hard just a few days ago when I read her facebook status bitching about her dude that she's been married to for TWO FUCKING WEEKS. lmao, good luck with life honey.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I read her facebook status bitching about her dude that she's been married to for TWO FUCKING WEEKS. lmao, good luck with life honey.
    wow talk about shameless. if my newly wed wife was bitching about me on facebook publicly, much less after two weeks, i would kick her the fuck out and change the locks immediately. of course this is a prime example of why marriage is dumb

at 195, theres no way youre small rory. all mental

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    wow talk about shameless. if my newly wed wife was bitching about me on facebook publicly, much less after two weeks, i would kick her the fuck out and change the locks immediately. of course this is a prime example of why marriage is dumb

at 195, theres no way youre small rory. all mental
    Only if you marry a cunty one, like the one Rory speaks of. Of course, from my experience, most girls are cunty.

Sooo strength/size coming up? Injury ok? Need update na0w.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Sooo strength/size coming up? Injury ok? Need update na0w.
    Some size/composition/conditioning has been reclaimed yes but I'm still much smaller than I was a year ago, and much less lean. Okay fat.

Strength not so much. The push day that I tested the waters a bit a few weeks back still has my shoulder achier than prior to it. I've since been modeling my workouts after Scotts (time+patience) with lighter weight and big volume sets rest paused up to 20-25 reps. I never cared about strength and still don't. At the very least I think I could probably maintain the size I currently have with my shoulder as is. To what extent I may or may not be able to get back to where I was before I got hurt and/or beyond time will tell.

I still have very, very little actual meat and potatoes lifting to gauge things off of. For my upper push and upper pull day I'm probably in the gym an hour and 15 minutes and 3/4 of it I'm doing warmup and rehab oriented work. To the point that when I get to a lift like DB presses or pullups I don't feel comfortable doing the volume that my chest or back could handle because my shoulder is prefatigued. Each workout has only had a handful of compound sets like those. Following them I've been trying to dabble around in other exercises to see what may accommodate me best. However there is very little time between feeling warmed up enough and not feeling too fatigued in shoulder that I'm comfortable subjecting my labrum to. It may be purely mental and it may well hold out for much more, I'm just being very gradual at this point.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 03-15-2012 at 12:20 AM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Thanks for the update Rory. So on the same note, how much size do you think one can gain without gaining a good amount of strength?
    Consistency
    My Journal

Thanks for the update Rory. So on the same note, how much size do you think one can gain without gaining a good amount of strength?
    I don't know, or know how to answer that to be honest.

Couple shots from the gym tonight. Still pretty unsure what to make of shoulder. Sometimes it feels better, sometimes not. Last two days I had a new "pain" in it though I hadn't done anything really involving it for 5 or so days. Took it even lighter tonight. Strength is comical but I dngaf. In the over 2 hours I was in tonight the heaviest things I lifted was 2 sets of DB presses @ 70lbs.

Weights around 189-191, 13ish%. Abs starting to come in a bit last week or so.
    2nd shot is hands on hips relaxed

Last edited by Behemoth; 03-25-2012 at 12:46 AM.

House Lannister
    cutting?

pics look good. u never hit the hands clasped MM. just saiyan.

So you basically took the year off and you look like that already. Fuck man, that is fantastic.

Nah I've trained the majority of the 11 months since surgery, Dec-Jan I was told to stop by a doc and dropped the ball. Those pics are also damn good light and i'm still significantly smaller and less lean than right before I got hurt. But yeah things could be worse and I do appreciate the positive stop in brother

<3 training instinctively. Upper pull was up but I just felt the shoulder needed more time to be safe so postponed. Then it dawned on me that despite being just 4 days since my last leg day, the doms were long gone and they felt good and ready. Went in blew the workout from a few days back out of the water.

More importantly, however, is that orville redenbackers "simply salted" popcorn is my favorite vegetable. Don't be deceived by it's pussy ass description, stuff is bad, in a good way.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 03-26-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anspfirst View Post
    Congratulations on taking one step ahead and opening a trades journal.Not only i like your username but avtar too.There is no power parallel or even comparable to power of knowledge.Learning is the way through which we get this power.

kolachi
    Thanks phaggot

Banned
    Looking damn good Rory don't be so hard on yourself

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Looking damn good Rory don't be so hard on yourself
    Ya seriously....

I like taking peaks at your older journal from time to time for training ideas. (no I am not on Ryan's stalk level)

The difference from 2007 to now is ridiculous. It looks like you made more progress 2007-2012 than 2003 - 2007, which is outstanding for a lifetime natural.

Ya seriously....

I like taking peaks at your older journal from time to time for training ideas. (no I am not on Ryan's stalk level)

The difference from 2007 to now is ridiculous. It looks like you made more progress 2007-2012 than 2003 - 2007, which is outstanding for a lifetime natural.
    I made a lot of progress my first year or two as all do then things were just steady. 2008 is when my volume pretty much doubled or more and things took off again.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 03-27-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Some size/composition/conditioning has been reclaimed yes but I'm still much smaller than I was a year ago, and much less lean. Okay fat.
    It may be purely mental and it may well hold out for much more, I'm just being very gradual at this point.
    I don't think you'll be able to shake the mental side of taking it easy on the shoulder for some time.

Great to hear that you're on the right track now.

I haven't instinctively trained in a while. I think I might've fogotten how to do that?!?

I loved doing it when I did it. I'm sure you really are extra cautious with regards to rest and feel when it comes to the shoulder.

BTW, you look pretty damn good. I know you aren't training how you are accustomed to, and love to train. Looking great given the circumstances.

Then it dawned on me that despite being just 4 days since my last leg day, the doms were long gone and they felt good and ready. Went in blew the workout from a few days back out of the water.
    Always amazes me when you hit a previous workout again and then you smoke it. I always wonder if I just wasn't hitting it as hard that last time around.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 03-27-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

(no I am not on Ryan's stalk level)
    Impossible to achieve.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Wannabebig Member
    Take care with that shoulder. I had my shoulder operated on roughly 7 years ago. I still have the occasional twinge in the front of it, usually during any kind of bench pressing or overhead pressing. But anymore, it usually doesn't bother me much anymore.

My mistake is I never took my rehabilitation seriously. I would blow off band work and stretching. It took me years before my shoulder felt good enough to even do a pullup or pushups. That was my own doing.

Just keep after the issue and have patience and I'm sure you'll find the stability in the joint you're looking for. Athletes can and do recover from injury!

For where you are at with the shoulder you are well ahead of the curve Rory. Do what you can and just be patient. Things will fall into place.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Even among the setback, you are still among the top 5 physiques on here, make no mistake!

Awesome seeing you pull through to prevail no matter what.

Thanks guys.

Ryan asked if I was gonna start logging soon. Told him my workout are so lame there really is no point, but told him I'd take a vid of something.

I have zero time for anything right now so despite DESPISING training in the early am I had to do so today. Unbelievably I had a really great workout which may well be my very first quality morning workout ever. Still nothing exciting but here's some feet up slow(ish) DB presses. Shoulder felt pretty damn throughout this session all things considered.

In before your reps are shallow bro.
    In before someone bigger than me like Alex awares me I'm an arrogant douche in the gym.

90s x whatever
    Last edited by Behemoth; 04-04-2012 at 08:27 AM.

In before someone bigger than me like Alex awares me I'm an arrogant douche in the gym.
    If I did say this, it would only be to welcome you to the club.

Damn good news you can DB press like that with the injury- Kinda finding the same thing, as long as I'm careful with it and avoid sudden out of groove movements, the power is still there.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Rest pausing, I like it. I think that is exactly what you need to be doing given the state of your shoulder. High reps but rest paused so you can go to failure in a safer manner.

House Lannister
    lol, you look like you haven't lost any size at all.