The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
    Looking pimp, bro.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Nice cut, man. What did you lose 20 lbs in 2 months? What were your calories at vs your maintenance? Can you post your workout and cardio during the cut?

No counting. Cardio... not even once. workout 3x per week push/pull/legs about 90 minutes per workout. Eat what I want. 90% of my protein is from nitrean (serious). Other than that I eat a fair amount of frosted mini wheats, results post workout, and then just a hodge podge of whatever else I want. Beer is probably my #3 source of calories behind nitrean and cereal (serious again).

This diet has been very unique for me in that there has been no targetted goals (calories/day, weight, bodyfat). I intermittent fast and have just played my 1-2 meals at night by feel to where I'm losing. Calories on days have no doubt been as low as 1000. 1500 has probably been a rough average. I'll have days where I've be in a surplus for the "24 hour day" I'm sure. With regards to where that's at in relation to maintenance - I'll maintain weight in the vicinity of 1800-2100/day without much activity. I don't really view diet in 24 hour blocks these days though.

UUU ONLYYYA EIGHT 1000 CALOREES YESTEER BRO???S U MUSSTAA LOOSED MUSCLESEL AND CANATABOLIZED!11
    No bro. I ate like 3000 the night before, I'll survive.

[IF RANT]About 5 or 6 gym people have jumped on the IF wagon since I've told them about it. By far the most annoying thing is spending 10 or 15 minutes explaining my belief that I benefit from it entirely for behavioral reasons and that my results with it have 0% to do with any hypothesized calorie partitioning, metabolic enhancing, lean body preserving blah blah mumjbo jumbo.... and then them asking "how long do until you think I'll start seeing results"... depends how much less you're eating BRO!!! [/IF RANT]
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-24-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

[IF RANT]About 5 or 6 gym people have jumped on the IF wagon since I've told them about it. By far the most annoying thing is spending 10 or 15 minutes explaining my belief that I benefit from it entirely for behavioral reasons and that my results with it have 0% to do with any hypothesized calorie partitioning, metabolic enhancing, lean body preserving blah blah mumjbo jumbo.... and then them asking "how long do until you think I'll start seeing results"... depends how much less you're eating BRO!!! [/IF RANT]
    Hey bro, this doesn't make sense. I read that when you don't eat for 14 hours you get a 1,245% rise in growth hormone, which causes your muscles to switch to ketones otherwise you get about six times the ghrelin levels of a horcrux bro.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Just look at it as all those bros wanting to be you. That's sweet.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Great to see IF working for you, man. I've given up trying to convince people that meal frequency doesn't matter, I just keep my mouth shut and let people think what they want.

haha thanks for the reply man. Do you stick with compound exercises or throw some isolation in there too?

compounds come first in my workouts but i have more isolation movements by far -- hammer curls, cable curls, lateral raises, post delts on peck deck, cable crossovers, cable pushdowns, cable crunches, leg press calf raises, seated calf raises

compounds are pulldowns, seated row, db presses, leg press, walking lunges, bb thrusts

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

no squats or deads?

i dont feel comfortable doing either with my shoulder. squats i couldn't care less about -- lunges, leg presses and thrusts are more than adequate. deads i do miss however
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Fuck squats.

cool to see someone holding onto a lot of muscle on IF. I feel like normally people get ripped, but they just get really small and skinny.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Muscle loss has been had big time. Much more a product of my injury however.

Banned
    beast mode. you have awesome arms and chest development. no homers

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Fuck squats.
    agrd

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    beast mode. you have awesome arms and chest development. no homers
    agrd
    Yeah my upper anterior certainly trumps the rest of me. Last few weeks my diets been "meh" and has caused me to fill out mostly (as well as gain some fat) but my legs are looking some of the best in proportion to upper that they ever have (exception is auschwitz calves). do wish i had your leg aesthetics though tim, they'll definitely always trump my wheels

Your legs look good man.

Is the cut over?

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Your legs look good man.

Is the cut over?
    Who knows. There never really was a cut, or at least any determined goals to get to any certain point. Just started eating less. I saw a dehyrdated 166 tuesday and wednesday morning. Crazy. Never thought I'd weigh that little. I pseudo-refed yesterday and was 170 this morning and looked a lot better as well. I'll likely float around this condition 8-9%ish for the rest of the summer. What becomes of me after that I have no clue.

And this is for Alex if he stops in. Thought about buying dragons milk but it was $85/case so settled on the dogfish head.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 07-12-2012 at 07:31 PM.

The Raison d'etre does, indeed, live up to its name. Good call, mate.

Biggest 166 I've ever seen.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Oh to guys like me who have never been as lean as you, eating less is a cut lol.

I concur, biggest 166 I have ever seen. Maybe get the scale calibrated or something lol.

I really like dogfish head. I like their 90 minute ipa...Also really a fan of golden monkey. I like my beer strong. I did beerfest in the AC convention center one year. They had both of those there...needless to say, it was a good thing we rode the train in from Philly. I highly recommend going to that if they still do it...it was like $40 or something insanely cheap and they had over 150 beers that you can drink endlessly. Then again, you are pretty fucking far away.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 07-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

This is gonna become the journal of beer and every now and then lifting update! I stopped by a bar after my night class that I was just told sells beer by the bottle. Grabbed a long wanted breakfast stout on draft and looked through their selection of 400. Settled on these to sample...

Now that I'm home and trying to decide on which one to try first I realize I have the buzz equivalent to 6 or 7 standard light beers with food in your stomach. 23 hours without eating + just 12oz of 8.3% beer =

Banned
    Yeah my upper anterior certainly trumps the rest of me. Last few weeks my diets been "meh" and has caused me to fill out mostly (as well as gain some fat) but my legs are looking some of the best in proportion to upper that they ever have (exception is auschwitz calves). do wish i had your leg aesthetics though tim, they'll definitely always trump my wheels

youd laugh at my tiny upper body atm. im like 3-4 wks from your level of conditioning...

Thanks for the kind words guys!

This is gonna become the journal of beer and every now and then lifting update! I stopped by a bar after my night class that I was just told sells beer by the bottle. Grabbed a long wanted breakfast stout on draft and looked through their selection of 400. Settled on these to sample...

Now that I'm home and trying to decide on which one to try first I realize I have the buzz equivalent to 6 or 7 standard light beers with food in your stomach. 23 hours without eating + just 12oz of 8.3% beer =
    are those all local micros? there is a place nearby that has its own storefront. you can get any 4 12oz/$6 which is actually a really good price from a micro imo. if i actually drank beer regularly, i would be a fatty

So my lat appears to be fuarked up. Trained back on tuesday and never felt anything. But yesterday morning I wokeup with an extremely painful burning in my right lat at times. If I do a lat spread or reach way out in front of me in a horizontal plane spreading my shoulder blades it's there. Tried foam rolling it and it was excruciating. Didn't really bother me for leg day yesterday including db split squats and lunges but I'm not sure what my push day today is going to feel like.

It feels like I'm being stabbed with a soldering iron when it comes about, and is pretty high up and wide fairly close to my post delt. Doesn't feel like it's deep in my back but more just below the surface a half inch or so. Don't know if it's a pinched nerve, or something pulled or what. Never had a burning pain like this before. Fuck my body.