Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of posts in the journal section

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Serious db shoulder pressing Rory, nice job throughout.
    Thanks! It was a great workout!

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    That workout is nuts in terms of volume haha.
    Average volume for biceps, low for calves. Light in weight all around. Light workout for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I definitely recommend just letting thing heal on their own. I'm a big believer that most things can be cured with a little rest and relaxtation. Whenever you brake a bone, it's just a simple set and rest. If you have the mental power to make sure you consciously think of the bodypart that you want to avoid you can do it, and that will be the needed time for rest.

I hope that heals up sooner than later.

p.s. you are a DB Military bastard! I'm like 25 pounds behind you, ughh.
    I agree. I've laid off of them completely for 4 or 5 weeks now. Light work will help them heal though, however I don't think they're ready for even that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    nice job on the oh pressing buddy. do you think all the volume you do plus the job may be part of the reason the wheels are shot right now? just a thought. and scotts def right. time off sometimes is necessary. im glad i changed it up on benching... taking the strain off my shoulder for a while let it heal up despite my stubborn refusal to rest entirely
    No. They're shot because I was 6% and did balls to the wall sprints on pavement 2 days after a serious leg workout with brand new movements in it. Or better stated; they're shot because I was stupid as ****.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Back, Biceps

BB Rows
    135x15
    135x15
    185x15

235x6
    275x6
    295x5
    295x4
    275x10 DS: 185x10
    235x12

Pulldowns
    210x10!
    230x6!!
    200x8 DS: 160x6
    200x6 DS: 140x6
    180x8 DS: 120x8 DS: 85x8

Seated Row

225x7.5!
    240x6!
    250x6! DS: 180x8 DS: 130x7
    225x6.5
    150x16

Seated DB Shrugs
    70x15
    85x15

100x16
    100x13
    100x9

BB Preachers
    70x10
    110x4.5
    110x3 +1
    90x7

Alt. DB Curls
    50x7

Commentary Was 5 minutes from walking out the door when my roomate came home with a mutual buddy who is his regular training partner. He had asked 2 weeks ago my exercise preference for back thickness, I told him to deadlift and BB row. Their back day and mine coincided so they talked me into training at the Y with them when I was preparing myself mentally today for my workout at my other gym. I was reluctant but said screw it, it's just one workout. On the BB rows opener I was suprised to find they were pretty much virgins in this movement despite having been lifting for years (not that there's anything wrong with that). So I was trying to show them form early, but they didn't really seem to make any effort... there was some terrible terrible rounding and humping going on @ 135 and 185. I guess they got frustrated because they ditched and went to do chest supported rows. I was pretty pissed because this was the reason I switched up the workout I was planning on doing at my other gym (even though it was going to be pretty similar) but it's principal. We rejoined up shortly after and things picked up, at least for me and my roomates regular workout partner. Though I think he'd have stopped 10-15 sets less than this workout normally. One excessive one (for him that is) will do him good no doubt.

I felt bad for my roomate. He's got a really messed up shoulder and always tries to hang with the other guy and today was no exception. It's frustrating because I'll try to gently tell him to take time off, strengthen his rotators, and work his post delts more but he won't take that advice. He does a few light sets of cable rotations for his rotators but doesn't make any effort to actually work the rotator. And then he goes and tries to military 185 or bench 315 and hurts and has to take a week or so off.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-24-2010 at 07:48 PM.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

House Lannister
    Man, I hate working out with other people. I usually go early to the gym (relatively) and do pretty well at staying focused (I mean, now I only have 15-20 sets to do anyways, and only 3 or so of them are real work sets), but if someone comes up to talk to me it just throws me off and I get into a conversation mood instead of an iron-killing mood. Ugh.

I can relate to trying to teach them a movement. The other day when I was in the gym there were some friends of mine doing some f'ed deads. We're talking just straight up (pun intended) back rounding. Looked horrible. I ALMOST said something, but I really do feel like a dick when I give unsolicited advice, so I stayed quiet.

Same thing happened later on in the same session. Some guy (a bit bigger than me, not as lean) was doing stiff deads with a rounded back. I had met him a few times at some frisbee practices and debated helping him out a bit, but decided against it.

Sometimes I think people just need to find out for themselves what they are doing wrong.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 08-24-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Banned
    rory youre a nice guy. my neighbor asked me if i wanted to partner up to train and i told him, "no i prefer going alone" LOL. im such a jerk

arent bb preachers rough as hell on your elbow/forearms? good stuff though. have you thought more about to what next years path may lead?

House Lannister
    What's DS mean?

Banned
    drop set

House Lannister
    drop set
    O.

der.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 08-25-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Back day is huge, like the way you changed gears in here...always rockin it no matter what.

Man, I hate working out with other people. I usually go early to the gym (relatively) and do pretty well at staying focused (I mean, now I only have 15-20 sets to do anyways, and only 3 or so of them are real work sets), but if someone comes up to talk to me it just throws me off and I get into a conversation mood instead of an iron-killing mood. Ugh.

I can relate to trying to teach them a movement. The other day when I was in the gym there were some friends of mine doing some f'ed deads. We're talking just straight up (pun intended) back rounding. Looked horrible. I ALMOST said something, but I really do feel like a dick when I give unsolicited advice, so I stayed quiet.

Same thing happened later on in the same session. Some guy (a bit bigger than me, not as lean) was doing stiff deads with a rounded back. I had met him a few times at some frisbee practices and debated helping him out a bit, but decided against it.

Sometimes I think people just need to find out for themselves what they are doing wrong.
    I pretty much NEVER workout with anybody. Maybe a few times a years I'll partner up in this sort of fashion. I really enjoyed it on tuesday but it would not work my extremely free spirit in every manor from rest days, to weight used, to how I feel like training that day to volume. I may make an effort to do a once in a while thing like this though as it was both fun and productive.

rory youre a nice guy. my neighbor asked me if i wanted to partner up to train and i told him, "no i prefer going alone" LOL. im such a jerk

arent bb preachers rough as hell on your elbow/forearms? good stuff though. have you thought more about to what next years path may lead?
    Not really, 99/100 times I'll basically so no, you can't hang with me, or at least my demanor does. Anybody who sees me work out pretty much knows this. It's arrogant but it's quite true.

BB preachers destroy my forearms in the worst way yes. I let them pick the biceps exercises, I didn't care what movement we did here.

All day and everyday. It's not something worth talking about at this time. Things like friends who actually bodybuild, not half ass lift and eat a subway would have to fall into place in my future. Other things also. I realize how unprepared I was going into my prep this year and will not make that mistake again. If the future holds something different only time will tell.

What's DS mean?
    drop set
    O.

der.
    Fail.

Back day is huge, like the way you changed gears in here...always rockin it no matter what.
    Thanks Terry. Was a good back day.

Chest, Abs

Cable Internal Rotations / Cable External Rotations
    40x12 / 40x12
    50x10 / 50x10
    60x10 / 50x10
    75x10! / 65x7!

With the direct shoulder work I'm doing these days I've decided it's in my best interest to switch my money maker from IC DB to flat DB. Took these very easy. I've used IC for years now but february 09 I tore a pec because I decided to switch it up for the day and blast out some flat presses with my IC weight. While it's an easier movement yes (with the same weight) I simply didn't have the neorological adaptions to control it. I wasn't making that mistake today.

Flat DB Press
    55x12
    55x12
    75x8
    75x8
    100x10
    105x10
    115x6
    115x6
    115x6 - No set up until this point was to failure. Something left in the tank on all of these, as well as simply being careful with it. After this I dropped the weight and trained in my more typical all out fashion -
    105x13
    105x11.5
    105x9
    100x8.5 - These were done letting the inside plates let rest on my pecs, then exploding them off, then lowering them slowly

Cable Crossover
    60x8
    60x6
    55x7
    55x6.5
    50x7.5
    50x6.5 DS: 40x2.5
    45x7.5
    45x7

Hammerstrength Incline Press
    260x5
    240x5.5
    240x4.999

Cable Crunches (Stack is 95)
    95x15
    150x15
    150x12
    150x10
    150x8
    150x8

Commentary: Good Workout. Mid cable crossovers I took off the headphones to say hi to a gym acquitance I hadn't seen in a while. At one point in the conversation I declared to him "no, I will stay natural for life" he laughed. And genuinely. At first completely confused as to what was funny then it dawned on me as I was saying "what?" he just replied with something like nah I know you are man or something like that. But he woudln't have laughed like that if he "knew I was". ****ing *******. I did a little one laugh ha as I turned around putting on my headphones and shaking my head pissed off. So if I seem it, this is why. People think they work hard. Work my ****ing job, learn about nutrition, get your ass to bed so you can train like an animal the next day and do this for over 8 years then come accuse me of being a ****ing cheater. Wouldn't make it one week in my shoes much less the time I've put in.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-26-2010 at 08:08 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

Commentary: Good Workout. Mid cable crossovers I took off the headphones to say hi to a gym acquitance I hadn't seen in a while. At one point in the conversation I declared to him "no, I will stay natural for life" he laughed. And genuinely. At first completely confused as to what was funny then it dawned on me as I was saying "what?" he just replied with something like nah I know you are man or something like that. But he woudln't have laughed like that if he "knew I was". ****ing *******. I did a little one laugh ha as I turned around putting on my headphones and shaking my head pissed off. So if I seem it, this is why. People think they work hard. Work my ****ing job, learn about nutrition, get your ass to bed so you can train like an animal the next day and do this for over 8 years then come accuse me of being a ****ing cheater. Wouldn't make it one week in my shoes much less the time I've put in.
    That's why you leave the headphones in until you leave the gym.

I think it'd be cool if you could find some guys at one of your gyms that are as into bodybuilding as you are. I think that would help a lot. Forniskyping only goes so far.

It is what it is, folks do tend to make certain and specific judgment calls against others no matter what, and the haters do it more often than not...pay it no mind, the last man standing will be you anyways, lol.
    Last edited by Coke; 08-27-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Banned
    very strong benching rory. your db numbers are wicked. it is no wonder you have such good chest dev.

nonsense like you commented on is the reason i avoid lifting during afternoon/peak hours. i dont like to listen to anyones BS ... really i dont like to talk to anyone at all in the gym beyond a hi or a nod. but ya dont take that personally at all as its really the ultimate backhanded compliment for a natural lifter. he (he being said gym chump) looks at you and feels what you have is unattainable without drugs.. which says a lot about how advanced you are in the eyes of a layman.

Banned
    rory hows IF going so far?

That's why you leave the headphones in until you leave the gym.

I think it'd be cool if you could find some guys at one of your gyms that are as into bodybuilding as you are. I think that would help a lot. Forniskyping only goes so far.
    I should leave them on more often.

- There aren't any. Actually there's one. Seriously, I live in a dead area of lifting knowledge and commitment. While I only lift in certain time frames during the day I cannot say this definitively because there may be very dedicated bodybuilders that come at other times. But at my primary gym I'm no doubt #1, I'm looked to as the guy at least between 5-8pm I am. At my secondary gym (the Y) there's others with quality training and commitment, but when I'm lean in the summer I definetly shine there also as questionably the best all around built bodybuilder. There are guys much bigger there but I never see get lean. And there are guys there who are always mad ripped but have never changed much in the last few years. I know of 4 competitive bodybuilders between the two gyms. 3 I watched compete at above 8% which they should just be embarassed at. The 4th was legtimately leaner than I've ever been. An honest to God 4.5-5% but he has 0 legs. Probably couldn't squat 2plates. I'm not being arrogant, I just don't know of anybody on my level (except for the one guy I alluded to, but he goes away to school so trying to strike up a bodybuilding friendship there is a moot point). I'm really not even on that advanced of a level, it's just my surroundings are pathetic. I wish I had natural pro's training in my area that I could get in the groove with and take my bodybuilding to the next level. Honestly I'm sure there are more dedicated folk around, just not that I happen to know of. Maybe I should check out a few more gyms in the area as well as throw in some training at other times and additionally be more friendly.

It is what it is, folks do tend to make certain and specific judgment calls against others no matter what, and the haters do it more often than not...pay it no mind, the last man standing will be you anyways, lol.
    Well chosen words, I love it. Thanks Terry.

very strong benching rory. your db numbers are wicked. it is no wonder you have such good chest dev.

nonsense like you commented on is the reason i avoid lifting during afternoon/peak hours. i dont like to listen to anyones BS ... really i dont like to talk to anyone at all in the gym beyond a hi or a nod. but ya dont take that personally at all as its really the ultimate backhanded compliment for a natural lifter. he (he being said gym chump) looks at you and feels what you have is unattainable without drugs.. which says a lot about how advanced you are in the eyes of a layman.
    It is a compliment in ways yes. I'd rather be respected for the time and effort I've put in than have it written off as drugs or genetics. But oh well. I wish there was some type of natural affiliated organization I was a part of that I could wear the shirts to train in. A big driving factor in my aspirations to compete this last year that I never shared was the credibility to prove I was natural. I wanted so bad to be able to wear an OCB or NGA natty tshirt from a show I competed in. Oh well, that's only myself to blame.

rory hows IF going so far?
    I'm not on IF per se. As I've said I've been fasting through breakfast until noon, then 4pm preworkout meal, then post workout meal. I haven't been counting and I haven't been forcefeeding nor starving. Enstilling in myself some healthy normal eating instincts rather than the borderline eating disorder traits I've known for years now. Huge headway has been made and I think this was one of the smartest things I've done in years with lifting. I'm no doubt eatting about maintenance and settled in with a presentable setpoint of 12-13%. I'm 196-197 consistently. I know my body very well and just like when Alberto jacked my carbs up while lowering my protein the first 2 weeks working with him and I knew my metabolism was really improving. I feel the same right now. I'm sitting very pretty right now with regard to what I can do with my diet. With very, very minor diet adjustments and tracking I could probably drop to 10% in 3 weeks. As well as I have a HUGE window of gaining opportunity. I could put myself to 210 in probably 5-6 weeks. If you've been here you can understand the feeling of just knowing. I basically have the ability to fill out and feel very anabolic just like one would feel the first few weeks coming off of an extreme diet. The stellar part is I feel my metabolism and hormones are not nearly as wrecked and if I were to force that I could have a presentable composition of lean : non-lean gain. As well as the healthy metabolism and hormones to easily shed some.

Right now I'm not going to either extreme though. I do very much want to experiment with a "mini cut" at some point. And to be honest, I feel my maintenance is so elevated that it would hardly be a task right now. But I've held off from that because I want my legs to continue to heal. Additionally I start at the nuclear plant the day after labor day and I need to settle into some eating habits to accomodate that first. I'll probably get nightshift again come october so that will be another twist. Likely there won't be any hypo-caloric eating until I'm off of 72hr/weeks.

With regard to my legs they're feeling great. I've been moving all weekend and the place I moved out of was upstairs and the place I moved into was up several flights of steep stairs. 3 peoples worth of dressers, beds, boxes and tvs for 2 and half days now and they haven't given me any trouble. In fact, they feel better than ever. I may do some AM walks and stretching or hit the gym for light spinbike and stretching this week because it seems the active recoverys been very good for them. Right now, I'm shooting for my first leg day back on this friday and am stoked!

I don't have internet at my new place yet, I just happened to log in at my moms house while I was dropping some stuff off I didn't need. So I may not have any updates for a while. I can post from my phone but workouts and long posts like this are too tedious.

****s going really good and I feel very healthy physically and mentally after these extreme rigers I put myself through dieting!
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-29-2010 at 11:09 AM.

House Lannister
    Nice man. Good to hear everything's going well and that you're feeling better than ever.

****s going really good and I feel very healthy physically and mentally after these extreme rigers I put myself through dieting!
    After a few long posts, this is the **** that I want to be reading.

Keep that fire blazing. Your workouts are stellar as always, and full of volume that would make me pass out, LOL.

If you saw my last workout, it's completely night and day comparing it to yours. But it goes to show that people can progress on different protocols.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Scott, Ryan - Thank you men

I got the internet today but after setting up my computer I started getting blue screens. Its doing a system restore right now from safe mode (I'm at my moms again) hopefully that sorts itself out. Good workouts this week, Noteable mentions are a solid, clean set of low incline curls 55x8 on tuesday and some killer sets of flat db pressing with 115s and 120s where I let the outside plates rest on the side of my chest again between reps. Still shooting for my first leg day back tomorrow night!

Noteable mentions are a solid, clean set of low incline curls 55x8 on tuesday and some killer sets of flat db pressing with 115s and 120s
    I really love low incline curls, the stretch and pump you get is insane!!!!

And damn you and those 120's. I hope to be there some day.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Still getting blue screens. Anybody any good at analyzing hijack this logs?

Going to attempt to log last nights workout. probably get almost done with it and comp will freeze and my monitor will end up in the yard.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    So this is that secret place on WBB where all the bodybuilders hang out at.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Delts, Triceps

Cable internal rotations / Cable external rotations
    20x12 / 20x12
    25x12 / 25x12
    35x10 / 30x6

DB OH
    45x12
    65x6
    80x4

100x8!
    100x6
    100x6 DS: 70x5
    90x7
    90x6

I was reallybombing my setup on every set. Consequently without the initial low starting rep I probably should have had +2 reps on every set here.

CG Bench
    135x8
    185x4
    225x2

265x4
    265x4
    275x3.5
    265x4

Standing lateral raises
    45x10
    55x7!
    55x6
    55x5
    55x5.5
    50x7
    50x6
    45x10

Angle Bar PDs
    140x7! (stack +45)
    140x5
    140x4
    120x8
    120x6

Post delt on pec deck
    230x8!
    230x7
    230x7
    230x7
    230x7
    230x5

Commentary: Pretty good workout. Absolute monster showed up out the woodwork at the Y. Probably the most impressive build I've seen working out at either of my gyms. Strong as **** too, really motivated me.

Some training notes - I'm going to make a shift into a little lower rep ranges. 3-5 on the first few sets of my money maker exercises. I trained legs on friday but it was a bust. did a bunch of 1 plate sets of low box squats. Could feel the tendons so didn't push it. A guy asked me if I was on tren during because he wanted help with his cycle. Told him I was natural, this didn't bother me because he simply asked. Didn't just believe that I was like my last run in which still infuriates me. Blah

Some physique notes - Good. Sucks to watch my already ahead upper widen the gap between my lower body though. I'll make up for it when I'm fully healthy though make no mistake. Delt/chest tie in is sharp as hell. Makes me look lean as **** if I wear a sleevless and roll in it a little exposing some chest. Post delt/tricep tie in also looks nasty. I had veins all over my traps, delts and neck doing the lateral raises. All 8 abs are visible if flexed. Still very happy with how I'm gaining. Actually of the last week I consistently weighed in at 194-195 which was a rogue drop from consistent 196-197 the week before. I started adding extra carbs post workout after wednesdays chest day due to this.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 09-06-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Weathers changing, it's becoming sweatshirt weather aronud here. Staying one step ahead of the game and killing it in a tee

Last edited by Behemoth; 09-06-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Banned
    wait so youve gained 20lbs including bloat and still have 8 visible abs? hate

anyways though, nice work. i'm a big fan of the OH pressing. what an exercise and youre clearly killing it. is your eating pretty much as described above still? i'm overwhelmingly curious about what martin the leangains guy can really do. do you think that guy who was at the Y was natty? i feel like i could explode if i did a few 12-15 week cycles of test.. but being really big isnt practical. dunno. clearly you would truly be a behemoth if you ran test. from what i can see, the new apartment looks great. nice wallmount lcd!

edit: the above paragraph looks like ramblings of a 8 year old. i like it.
    Last edited by f=ma; 09-06-2010 at 12:13 PM.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    So this is that secret place on WBB where all the bodybuilders hang out at.
    mhmm.