The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    I don't like programs. And one would be impossible right now, for instance I wanted to lift tonight but ended up getting forced on a 14, the latter 9 being straight through stuck in containment no food no water no pissing. Hopefully I lift tomorrow. Hct 12 is also definetly not a prorgram I would consider. Not that any are going to happen anytime soon/ever.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I don't like programs. And one would be impossible right now, for instance I wanted to lift tonight but ended up getting forced on a 14, the latter 9 being straight through stuck in containment no food no water no pissing. Hopefully I lift tomorrow. Hct 12 is also definetly not a prorgram I would consider. Not that any are going to happen anytime soon/ever.
    Gotcha. Not an HCT-12 fan?

How's the workouts going?

You can get an easy 15 - 25 pounds more out of your bench if you work on a bigger arch + tucking your elbows.

If you're looking for hypertrophy heavy bench is actually pretty damn good, just depends on your grip. Try some heavy sets with a really wide grip. I know people will say it's hard on your shoulders, but I haven't had any problems.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Gotcha. Not an HCT-12 fan?

How's the workouts going?
    I would also like to know why you are against HCT-12.

Good looking sessions btw, really been enjoying your journal.

Alas... wide grip bench really bothers my shoulders, even very light it does.

My contention on programs in general is that they make people push themselves when they're not willing. Everyone raves about this one or that one, or this style of training or that style. In reality I believe there is little advantage from one drastic training protocol to the next. One sees there best gains (and in turn becomes a staunch advocate of) whatever program keeps them mentally interested in the most and in turn the most focused with.

I'm going to make a thread in bb section here shortly because I don't want to share this view/discuss this more in depth.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

You're flexible approach to training is definitely refreshing. and interesting

Having said that, I still think the majority of people will get the best results from following a proven program as it just takes out the guess work related to progression, rest, recovery, exercise selection etc.

Your dedication to train through those hard work days is pretty inspiring too, goo job!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    You're flexible approach to training is definitely refreshing. and interesting

Having said that, I still think the majority of people will get the best results from following a proven program as it just takes out the guess work related to progression, rest, recovery, exercise selection etc.

Your dedication to train through those hard work days is pretty inspiring too, goo job!
    Completely agree. I should clarify that I'm not stated structure to be bad, and that I believe most people progress best within most/all of the predetermined paramteres you listed. I'm just strange, and simply enjoy my time with the iron the most when I listen to my body and do the best and most I can.

You have the more instinctive style of training which is great, also you are an advocate of strict form.

I'm far from either a form nazi or a form poster boy...

Completely agree. I should clarify that I'm not stated structure to be bad, and that I believe most people progress best within most/all of the predetermined paramteres you listed. I'm just strange, and simply enjoy my time with the iron the most when I listen to my body and do the best and most I can.
    You know I may try a similar type of approach later down the line. I think if you have a sound understanding of the key principles then you can get away with a more instinctive style of training. And then I can bench every session ha ha.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Backs been whack for weeks. Knees been bothing me, now 100% confident its a meniscus tear. I dont know what that means for my future of squats and deads (or even any leg lifts, even calf stabilization it still bothers me). Not confident with my shoulders either. I haven't even been lifting anything heavy.

I hate how my body is thrashed and none of my injuries are lifting induced. I always wonder where I'd be if I could have ever worked up to some serious squat and deadlift numbers had I never swung that plywood onto the deck. I hope my knee doesn't plague me now forever like my back has.

For now, hooked up an order from APT for some new equipment. Im going to start working with bands signifigantly. Also got some ankle harness's hopefully I can make leg curls work because deadlifts arent an (smart) option.

I made a big order from ALN that arrived here today. I may go all liquid diet for a while when I'm off OT. Just because. Thats why.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 10-20-2010 at 07:59 PM.

House Lannister
    Backs been whack for weeks. Knees been bothing me, now 100% confident its a meniscus tear. I dont know what that means for my future of squats and deads (or even any leg lifts, even calf stabilization it still bothers me). Not confident with my shoulders either. I haven't even been lifting anything heavy.

I hate how my body is thrashed and none of my injuries are lifting induced. I always wonder where I'd be if I could have ever worked up to some serious squat and deadlift numbers had I never swung that plywood onto the deck. I hope my knee doesn't plague me now forever like my back has.

For now, hooked up an order from APT for some new equipment. Im going to start working with bands signifigantly. Also got some ankle harness's hopefully I can make leg curls work because deadlifts arent an (smart) option.

I made a big order from ALN that arrived here today. I may go all liquid diet for a while when I'm off OT. Just because. Thats why.
    All liquid diet? You crazy *****.

What are your goals right now? Still lean bulk/maintaining?

I feel ya on the injuries man. I can't imagine what that must be like. I don't mean to critique so don't take this the wrong way or anything, but have you ever tried a lower volume routine? Maybe a little less work in the gym would be easier on your back and knees? I'm sorry to hear about that knee man, that really, really sucks.

Get better brory.

Thanks for the order!

I remember Chase did a liquid diet for like 3 months at one point - it did the job but I reckon from a will power perspective it would be crazy hard not to eat and taste real food.

hey also what do you mean by when you're OT?

Overtime. Yeah I remember chase doing that, I think he was precontest dieting too.

Ryan, lower volume may have been a good idea during my last cut yeah. Although it was still the intense cardio that wrecked me and its backwards to scale back training to allow for cardio, yes... overall physical volume was too much and I have myself to blame.

Banned
    how are the tendons feeling?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Bands huh? Should be interesting to see a bb style routine with bands in it. I actually made a thread about bbers using bands. Chris Mason said he was writing and article on it.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Hamstrings tendons are better. Meniscus was doing very well but degraded during work. Needs lots of rest. Lifts dont bother it, its that ackward twist up stairs or step while under load in normal less form conscious life that are keeping it from recovering. I still think I can make a full recovery. I'll be done with overtime between wednesday and saturday (TBA). Really, I hate to admit defeat. But six 12's + trying to manage normal life responsibilities has gotten the better of me again. /lose

My reasoning for bands is so I can lower the tangible weight I'm using and make it up the difference with band resistance allowing somewhat of a less taxing workout on my joints and tendons, but also requiring more stabilization work. Nothing to do with speed or sticking points or technique. I've used regular aerobic stretch bands on BB rows before and it was exactly this. I was able to get the same workout with less weight and better, more rigid form. I'm hoping I can do this on other exercises like squats and presses.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 10-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Hamstrings tendons are better. Meniscus was doing very well but degraded during work. Needs lots of rest. Lifts dont bother it, its that ackward twist up stairs or step while under load in normal less form conscious life that are keeping it from recovering. I still think I can make a full recovery. I'll be done with overtime between wednesday and saturday (TBA). Really, I hate to admit defeat. But six 12's + trying to manage normal life responsibilities has gotten the better of me again. /lose

My reasoning for bands is so I can lower the tangible weight I'm using and make it up the difference with band resistance allowing somewhat of a less taxing workout on my joints and tendons, but also requiring more stabilization work. Nothing to do with speed or sticking points or technique. I've used regular aerobic stretch bands on BB rows before and it was exactly this. I was able to get the same workout with less weight and better, more rigid form. I'm hoping I can do this on other exercises like squats and presses.
    I would be cautious with that. Lots of band work tend to beat me up. Mini's not so much but the biggers bands I can only cycle in so often. But I'm talking heavy single doubles and triples with bands. I'm not sure what your definite plan is.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

no I don't plan on any low reps, 8+ sets with the 5-50's. Think of it like doing db prsses on a ball. Less weight, but still a good workout. At least it was when I rowed

Last edited by Behemoth; 11-21-2010 at 08:37 PM.

House Lannister
    Video
    Holy embed batman!

Do the video option instead of the youtube option for uploads. The video option always works.

oh hi

Last edited by Behemoth; 11-24-2010 at 09:42 PM.

House Lannister
    Yo I'ma let you finish but Rory Parker had the greatest training vid of all time! Of all time!

Looking beastly man.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif