The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Nope. Waste 'o money. I was megadosing it taking in 3-4g actual cla twice per day. Meaning about 10 caps a day (expensive quick over time). I took it from transitioning through bulking and into cutting. I didn't drop it until I think june when I simply didn't have the fat allotment in my macros to make any of it work. It was definetly a big waste of money over that time but I'm glad I was able to personally verify this over a serious run of it rather than just go off of other peoples word.

I've also used sesamin. Actually I'm using it right now too because it came free with the last order I placed. My first run of it in cutting (2g a day) I had all the signed of decreasing test and actually had no clue this was commonly reported with it until later and I dropped it and it felt better. Since I had the rest of that around and my new free bottle I've been using it again for the last 3 weeks or so with less worry of these effects since I'm not on a severe diet anymore. I can't vouch for any positive with this supp nor have I experienced any negatives like I did when using it when dieting. I'm definetly not going to buy this one again. I would reccomend neither of these two personally.

For the price though, I would reccommend chromium picolinate and green tea/hoodia mix I take from walmart.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

That's the kind of volume I'm used to seeing from you! I know you probably just couldn't handle workouts of that intensity while you were so far along in your diet. That was one positive of lowering my volume drastically for my contest prep-- I was able to put all of my energy and intensity into 10 total working sets.

I would definitely capitalize on the increased weight gains and put all of that energy into some serious workouts. You've killed these last few workouts. I definitely couldn't handle those types of workouts on my own, I would need a partner to keep me interested. I know that you have built up your endurance and training capacity over the years also.

Great job thus far. I see you have a new fire lit under your ass. I think this approach your taking is going to work out wonderful for you. The next time you decide to compete, I'm positive you'll continue through with it and you'll be very happy with whatever results stem from it. Looking forward to the next year of training from you.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Damn dude! That is some insane rowing. Your lifts are very impressive at your bw for sure.
    You don't even know my bodyweight though

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    That's the kind of volume I'm used to seeing from you! I know you probably just couldn't handle workouts of that intensity while you were so far along in your diet. That was one positive of lowering my volume drastically for my contest prep-- I was able to put all of my energy and intensity into 10 total working sets.

I would definitely capitalize on the increased weight gains and put all of that energy into some serious workouts. You've killed these last few workouts. I definitely couldn't handle those types of workouts on my own, I would need a partner to keep me interested. I know that you have built up your endurance and training capacity over the years also.

Great job thus far. I see you have a new fire lit under your ass. I think this approach your taking is going to work out wonderful for you. The next time you decide to compete, I'm positive you'll continue through with it and you'll be very happy with whatever results stem from it. Looking forward to the next year of training from you.
    Thanks for being here with me through it scott. I have a great deal of respect for you, you definetly speak softly with a big stick. This is very motiving and I'm definelty excited to follow your road to your next competition. We all know that road won't drive off a cliff like mine did. Do you have your show(s) picked. Assuming there in Ohio or a reasonable distance from me it will certainly be a made a point to see if I can make it there.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    You don't even know my bodyweight though

Thanks for being here with me through it scott. I have a great deal of respect for you, you definetly speak softly with a big stick. This is very motiving and I'm definelty excited to follow your road to your next competition. We all know that road won't drive off a cliff like mine did. Do you have your show(s) picked. Assuming there in Ohio or a reasonable distance from me it will certainly be a made a point to see if I can make it there.
    Don't be too hard on yourself Rory. You were working a VERY strenuous job on top of high-volume work, lots of cardio, and a serious caloric restriction. Give yourself a little credit.

Chest

Cable Internal Rotations / Cable External Rotations
    30x12 / 30x12
    40x10 / 40x10
    50x10 / 50x10
    70x10 / 60x8

IC DB Pres
    55x12
    75x6
    100x5

120x6 - blah
    120x6
    115x8 DS: 80x5
    105x7 DS: 70x4 Extra depth both sets

Cable Crossover
    60x8! - sloppy wanted progression so bad I was getting it at any cost
    55x6
    55x8
    50x9
    50x7
    50x7

Hammerstrength Isolateral IC Press
    260x6
    260x5
    250x6
    230x7.5 - All weight off and reset after every rep sytle
    230x6 - " " - rep #6 all of a 5 or 6 second grinder

Commentary
    There's two ways to look at this. Initially I was livid I regressed a rep on my IC press opener. No cause either, I was all there I just didn't have it in me. So pissed I fueled through the rest of my workout with rage. Complete mental focus another 110% workout. The depressing part was even this merited me very little progress. But I did everything in my power, that's most important.

House Lannister
    Do you look up when you do them? Not that 50s aren't good at your size/development but I only comment because I just changed this and somehow it made a huge difference. I always liked to watch myself in the mirror then about a month ago I did a set where I looked up and they felt crazy lighter. Done them since like that and they've gone great. I don't know if it's because more arch in my back or quite possibly sometimes watching myself lift motivates me sometimes it does the opposite. Don't know why.
    Hmmm. I do usually look straight ahead. I'll try this out in the next couple of days. I usually have a good arch in my back when I do miltary on a bench so who knows.

Just turn your head

Video

House Lannister
    I'd be careful with the leg training. Just go easy.

That HS press was pretty sweet. I wish my home gym and school gym had HS machines. We do have a prowler tho, which is kinda cool.

Banned
    did you mess up your liftoff on that first set? that can def sap you even if its relatively light for a work set

i never eat fruit. i should do that more often

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    did you mess up your liftoff on that first set? that can def sap you even if its relatively light for a work set

i never eat fruit. i should do that more often
    Actually yeah. I've switched from deadlifting them up and setting them onto my knees to a much easier method of hogging a second bench and placing it in front of me where I pretty much stand up, grab the DBs, and sit down and lift them to my knees saving a ton of energy on heavy sets. Only been doing this a few weeks and my first attempt one ended up too far up my thigh to get a good flip up so I rocked forward and reset. I was expecting a 10 rep set going into it, no way that little fluke was the culprit. Just weak.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-20-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Small workout this evening. Some rack pulls, hyperextensions and cable crunches. 21 total sets, about an hour and a quarter long. Nothing too exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I'm happy to see that you're going with the lesser restrictions when it comes to your eatting plan. I played around with IF dieting for 2 days to see if I would be able to do it, and I would definitely be able to do it , but I'm not sure if I'll implement it though.

I like the idea of just "eatting comfortably". I think that's the way to go during the off-season, as I don't think it's detrimental to your plans if you over eat a few hundred calories. What matters is if you start seeing some changes within your workout or in the mirror. I really love the mentality of Shawn Ray, whom goes a lot by instincts with everything. He's said that he doesn't count calories or weigh things, but that he just knows what he should be taking in.
    Not to mention being instinctual takes out a lot of stress of structuring things. When you have certain quotas you've placed upon yourself your day now revolves around those. Getting away from some of these parameters that have dictated my life for years now is my goal. While I definetly don't know my body like shawn ray does I can greatly relate. I definetly know if I'm in a surplus or not. I know I have had days eatting comfortably lately where I've come in under maintenance. Tracking meticulously could (and questionably should) removed from a great portion of ones bodybuilding I think. Tracking is necessary if you're at a roadblock, you can't gain or you can't lose. It's then that you need to know what specifically what youre consuming to adjust slightly from. Right now, I know I could super easily gain or lose 10lbs without tracking a gram of anything.

House Lannister
    Small workout this evening. Some rack pulls, hyperextensions and cable crunches. 21 total sets, about an hour and a quarter long. Nothing too exciting.
    Likin' those now, huh?

Light Biceps and Calves

Incline Curls strict (at least for a while)
    30x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x10
    40x12

Whole thing was actually pretty grueling, nasty lactic acid.

Straight Leg Rotary Calf Extensions
    40x20
    45x16
    50x12
    55x12
    60x10
    60x9
    55x12

Seated Calf
    90x10
    90x10
    90x10
    90x8
    90x12
    90x11

BB Preachers Upper arm held tight on pad, lower arm allowed to lockout with the weight on it. Would be really dangerous under real weight IMO but I was basically just killing time with light weight becase a was giving a friend some spots
    60x10
    70x10
    70x10

Commentary
    Nothing special. Forearms have still been doms'd 24/7 for what reason I don't know. Heavy DB preachers like I ususally do first for biceps wouldn't have been good. Knee wraps came today. Tried them out and my legs felt so good with them on (minus the crazy restriction) I went to the store and bought two braces to wear at work and such to help recovery. Wore them tonight for stabilization during calves. They're definetly still sketchy but I'm pretty sure improving.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-21-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Likin' those now, huh?
    Rather make like a redneck at the county fair and do full pulls
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-22-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Banned
    haha dude that is a comical amount of curling.

where in your knees do you feel iffy? pantella area? LCL or ACL? sorry if ive asked before, but did you have any serious knee injury in the past few years?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    haha dude that is a comical amount of curling.

where in your knees do you feel iffy? pantella area? LCL or ACL? sorry if ive asked before, but did you have any serious knee injury in the past few years?
    Hamstring tendons are strained for sure, those I definetly feel regular (though slow) improvement. The area that has me more concerned is on the sides of my knees. If I were to step out into a lunge movement and then have any twist in my knee (which yes, obviously one would not want to do this anyhow) but that would really bother them. Really any type of twist like that even when standing up and stepping up onto something and I'll feel it, as well as they're tender if I start pushing around and find the right arounds. My right leg on the inside is worst. I think it probably is the acl (at least on this leg) thats the majority of the discomfort. But I think it's more an all around thing with all the ligaments all the way around being taxed and strained to some extent.

It came about doing hiit two days after a really taxing leg day with brand new movements in it. I was an idiot. The reason I'm not seriously worried about it is beause there was no acute moment. They just felt really beatup almost comparable to doms you get after taking a layoff except this was in tendons. Additionally, I'm uninsured so I really don't have any other option but to be smart and take it day by day. I do 100% believe they'll make a full recovery on their own. It's just hard to not be impatient and want to do more than I should right now.

As far as past injury I had a really serious patella injury at 15 skateboarding. It was basically at the same time I found wbb and after nursing that injury (as well as the sprained ankle on the opposite leg I got at the same time) I decided I had enough with skateboarding and it was too much on my body to try and do both. Haha best decision ever. I also quit soccer a few months later for the same reason I wanted to focus on getting bigger.

I remember smith squatting just the counter balanced bar (basically just bw) after that injury and feeling discomfort. Eventually I put quarters on, then plates, then moved to free squatting. I've had zero problem with that in 8 years now even during heavy squats and lunges and leg x.

Things looking good B, hope the knees get to 100% man. Knee pain sucks.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Things looking good B, hope the knees get to 100% man. Knee pain sucks.
    Sucks for sure, not only do I want to train legs like hell. I actually want to do some cardio too. eeeks!

Shoulders, Tri's

Cable Internal Rotations / Cable External Rotations
    20x12 / 20x12
    25x12 / 25x12
    35x12 / 30x8

DB OH Press
    45x12
    65x6
    80x4

100x6! hell yeah
    100x6
    100x6.5
    90x10
    90x9

CG Bench
    135x12
    185x6
    255x6
    255x5+1
    245x6
    225x7

Standing Lateral Raises
    40x10
    50x8
    50x6
    45x8
    45x8

Angle Bar Pushdowns Should note these aren't v-bar. Angle is only about 160 degrees
    125x10!
    125x8
    125x7 DS: 95x4 DS: 65x4

Pec Deck Post Delts
    220x8!
    220x7.5
    220x6
    210x8
    210x9
    210x8

Comentary Even though I don't lift for strength, felt damn good getting that OH press. easy too. I used 100s about a year ago but they were at a different gym and inaccurate because when I would train at my others gyms (this one included) the 80s felt like the 100s at the other gym. So I'm calling this a legitmate lifetime PR.

Need more bicep. Want more traps.

Serious db shoulder pressing Rory, nice job throughout.

House Lannister
    Light Biceps and Calves
    That workout is nuts in terms of volume haha.

I definitely recommend just letting thing heal on their own. I'm a big believer that most things can be cured with a little rest and relaxtation. Whenever you brake a bone, it's just a simple set and rest. If you have the mental power to make sure you consciously think of the bodypart that you want to avoid you can do it, and that will be the needed time for rest.

I hope that heals up sooner than later.

p.s. you are a DB Military bastard! I'm like 25 pounds behind you, ughh.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Banned
    nice job on the oh pressing buddy. do you think all the volume you do plus the job may be part of the reason the wheels are shot right now? just a thought. and scotts def right. time off sometimes is necessary. im glad i changed it up on benching... taking the strain off my shoulder for a while let it heal up despite my stubborn refusal to rest entirely