Thread: Shorter training cycle?

Shorter training cycle?

I just finished a great training cycle for a bench meet this last Saturday. I had hit my opener or more 5 times during the training cycle, but bombed...couldn't lock out. Does anyone use shorter training cycles to avoid peaking too early. It seems I am strongest at about the 6 week point.

Dave, whats up homie? i am almost always strongest at 8 weeks but usually train for 12. i like to train. come meet time, i have always left weight in the gym. it sucks but training is more fun.

Sounds like you hit all your good benches in the gym. Save the big weights for the meet. If you feel a opener type lift is neccesary do it a few weeks out then start tapering down for a few easy weeks.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    I just finished a great training cycle for a bench meet this last Saturday. I had hit my opener or more 5 times during the training cycle, but bombed...couldn't lock out. Does anyone use shorter training cycles to avoid peaking too early. It seems I am strongest at about the 6 week point.
    David,
    Sorry to hear about the bomb... We've all been there bro!

Sounds like you peaked to early like Scott said. A couple of questions though.
    - are you geared or raw?
    - did you take the week of the meet off? (a must IMHO)

These two things can make a big difference in your training prep.

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    David,
    Sorry to hear about the bomb... We've all been there bro!

Sounds like you peaked to early like Scott said. A couple of questions though.
    - are you geared or raw?
    - did you take the week of the meet off? (a must IMHO)

These two things can make a big difference in your training prep.
    I was in a shirt for the meet. I did take the week of the meet off.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Sounds like you hit all your good benches in the gym. Save the big weights for the meet. If you feel a opener type lift is neccesary do it a few weeks out then start tapering down for a few easy weeks.
    4 weeks before the meet I did a 720 off the chest, at 2 weeks out I did 730 off the chest, the week before the meet I went to 715 for my opener and shut it down. I understand saving the big weights for the meet, but how do you increase strength without pushing it in training? Part of this may have been mental as I wanted to break into the top 10 single ply, but things didn't work out as planned....

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    Dave, whats up homie? i am almost always strongest at 8 weeks but usually train for 12. i like to train. come meet time, i have always left weight in the gym. it sucks but training is more fun.
    Hey Jeff,
    I am training right on the edge of where I can touch weight at 710 or so. This last session I did not want to have trouble touching like I did at Scotts meet this winter so I made sure I was touching every time I was in the shirt. After this cycle I thought I was dialed in...if I did miss a lift in training I would always comeback and get it....I'm just getting old

Train with lighter weight to hit heavier weight. Doing percentage work for reps works with periodization training. On the other hand changing exercises every week works with the Westside method. No offense, your program does not sound like much of a program at all. Taking straight weight to the chest week after week is just beating a dead horse. Follow a scientific approach that is proven to work and I bet you'll experience better results.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-10-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Train with lighter weight to hit heavier weight. Doing percentage work for reps works with periodization training. On the other hand changing exercises every week works with the Westside method. No offense, your program does not sound like much of a program at all. Taking straight weight to the chest week after week is just beating a dead horse. Follow a scientific approach that is proven to work and I bet you'll experience better results.
    Thanks for the input. I know that I need to make changes, I am just very limited during the week with equipment and no training partners. I will look into Westside. When I have trained raw I have always had good results with percentage programs.

If you are limited with partners, when are you taking all these shirted benches.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

I drive 2 hours every saturday to train with Twin Cities Barbell in MN. Otherwise during the week I have my wife and 2 kids around.

Wannabebig Member
    David,

If you are always stronger at the 6 week point then set up 6 week cycles and see how it goes. You asked if anyone uses shorter training cycles but that really doesn't matter. If it works for you then do it.

You should not have a problem training Westside or Block. I train alone with the exception of my ME or shirt bench with the guys once a week. You don't need a crew or fancy equipment for the other bench day.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    4 weeks before the meet I did a 720 off the chest, at 2 weeks out I did 730 off the chest, the week before the meet I went to 715 for my opener and shut it down. I understand saving the big weights for the meet, but how do you increase strength without pushing it in training? Part of this may have been mental as I wanted to break into the top 10 single ply, but things didn't work out as planned....
    David,
    I train w/ some very strong guys around your strength level and they hardly ever touch in the gym. Once we have a shirt dailed in and we're confident we can touch in it we save the touches for meet time...

We generally do 1-bd or 1/2 bds. the closer we get to a meet. The week before the meet, take a weight to a 1/2 bd. somewhere near your opener and shut it down. if your concerned w/ bombing as we all are, have a back-up shirt thats a little looser and you're sure you can touch in and open up w/ it... I did this my last meet to get on the board then went w/ my tight shirt on my 2nd & 3rd. attempts.
    Just my .02. Good luck next time bro!