Thread: More Stupid Questions

Wannabebig Member

More Stupid Questions

I have a problem, I have almost always benched raw, I have used, on occasion, a single ply inzer that seemed to help me by about 35 pounds (505 raw to 540 in the basic shirt) so I ordered an Inzer Phenom 2-3 years ago, had back surgery and never used it. SInce I am now trying to be all strong and stuff I busted it out of my closet 2 days ago and tried it on, I am still fat so it still fit so I took it to the gym this AM. After squeezing my sausage arms into it and having a relative stranger secure the velcro I tried to bench in it, I say tried because nothing was touching my chest, 465 was about 4 inches away, 495 was about the same, what's the deal, is it too tight? Is it too much shirt for me? I am hoping to put up 600 in December in Buffalo (if that show is still on) which for me would be huge, but I probably need advice on using the shirt or buying a different one, I work out in a very fitness-y club (no squat rack but 3 aerobics rooms) so I have access to no experts in real life. Help would be appreciated

Im no master, but seeing as no one else has replied yet. Im sure the shirt needs to be broken in.
    If your not used to benching in the shirt your form may be off also. Make sure to keep your elbows tucked in real tight.
    also setting the shirt makes a big difference, if your by yourself and cant get the sleeves up all the way its going to be much harder to get it down.
    I would keep taking reps, and just trying to get lower. Some like to work down on boards.
    Just make sure you have a spotter because it gets unpredictable sometimes and its easy to dump weight on yourself.
    I hope that makes sense and is some sort of help
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

So you can bench 505 raw correct? Then why would you want to be able to touch less than your raw max in the shirt. I'm not surprised in the least that 465 and 495 won't touch. Just keep upping the weight a bit at a time and see what will touch.

Otherwise, without seeing the form you are using it's very difficult to say why you can't touch.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Shirt sounds to loose to me if 495 almost touches.

Did you have it jacked down?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    "Then why would you want to be able to touch less than your raw max in the shirt. I'm not surprised in the least that 465 and 495 won't touch."

Should I not be using the shirt until I get past my raw max? I guess I am a bit clueless about that part, I was a bit worried that the weight would just fall over and crush my face since it's a very weird feeling to use a shirt since I've always been a flare type bencher. I am going to try and load a video of me "benching" with the shirt, maybe it's something really simple or maybe I just need to practice a bit.

"Shirt sounds to loose to me if 495 almost touches."

It may be loose but it really feels tight (which is probably relative I know). As far as having it all cinched up and positioned, I would say not really, the velcros were on (but not cranked) and the shirt was riding up a bit on my paunch but I had no idea what instructions to give to make it better.

TY for the help, maybe a video will make it more clear

Video would indeed be helpful

On a side note, training in a shirt with strangers is a very poor idea. Especially when they have zero experience with powerlifters or shirted benching

Just my 2 cents

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Find experienced gear whores to help you. It's the fastest and best way to learn. Plus, you need good spotters for shirt work anyway.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    Travis and Marcus,

I guess I need a new gym : It is about as far away from a powerlifting gym as possible anyway, I believe I could get Zumba certified there before I could find someone who has used a bench shirt, or a squat rack (they don't have one). As far as shirt benching with strangers, you are probably 100% correct on that, I felt very vulnerable on the bench with a friendly 50 year old (just a guess) spotting/teabagging me while pointing out that he would "run and get help" if something went wrong.

Anybody on this board know of any decent powerlifting type gyms in the Syracuse NY area?

Tyler Tucker
    Try searching on PowerliftingWatch.com
    --------Bench----DL----
    Meet: 425------550----
    Gym: 405------565----

Yeah, powerlifting watch is how most people find my gym. You can also try google with powerlifting and the city name. People find us that way too. Powerlifting watch also has a section for meets. If there's a meet near you, that's another place to meet lifters and find out where they train.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    well thanks for that advice, went to powerlifting watch. com and found Hercules Gym about 15 minutes from my home there website says "EVERY THING YOU NEED FOR POWERLIFTING. CHAINS,BOARDS,LOW BOX,HIGH BOX. 2 POWER RACKS,DEADLIFT PLATFORM, UP TO 200 LBS DUMBELLS, AND MUCH MORE" thanks for the advice

Wannabebig Member
    505 raw bench is pretty impressive regardless of bodyweight....How much you weigh?

Wannabebig Member
    Miska,

It would be more impressive if I didn't weigh 312 lbs at a whopping 6 feet tall. On the more impressive side (for me anyway) is that I am 42 and super lazy plus I eat like absolute garbage. I spend most of my day fending off jimmy punches from my 5 year old, otherwise I would be stronger and more fit : ).

Wannabebig Member
    ScottYard,

I think I now see what you mean about being too loose, I was focused on the arms being super tight but I didn't notice the gap at the top of the chest, does that mean that the extra space is what's causing the weight to stop so far from my chest? Also just so I know with how the shirt SHOULD fit, should the arm seam be below my shoulders or fit like a regular shirt and be above them? At the moment they are below when I put on the shirt, just wondering so I don't do something even dumber. Thanks.

Bigboy,
    I've never used a phenom but most shirts are the same in that the lower the collar the harder it will be to touch. When they say "jacked shirt" they are refering to pulling the collar & /or sleeves down... And yes the seams should be low behind the triceps, not up on the shoulders.

When first breaking in a shirt dont "jack" it down until you're able to touch in it. let the collar ride high at first until its broken in a little. This may take a long time and depends on a lot of variables... Best thing to do is get w/ some experienced PL'er at the new gym you found and workout with them weekly. Be patient and dont give up... Gear is a lot of fun but can be frustrating & dangerous if you dont know what you're doing. good luck,
    RC