The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A different aproach

Looking for something different to try? How about ultra-abreviated training?

The next time you are in a rut or feel like you want to specialize on a lift or body part, give this a try. Take a few of your best lifts, make sure they will cover a majority of the muscle groups (balance), and really focus on them for a cycle or two. You might be suprised at the extra progress you can squeeze out of a lift when you don't have a lot of other things interfering with it. I've done this in the past and really liked the results.

An example routine:

Monday
    Trap Bar Deadlift - work up to a heavy set of 5 reps
    Trap Bar Deadlift - drop some weight and do 1x20
    Push Press - 2x6

Thursday
    Bar Dips - 2x6
    Barbell Rows - 2x8

Note:
    This is not a long term plan, but can be very effective for short runs.

Discuss and comment...
    Last edited by Off Road; 08-24-2010 at 07:23 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Off Road, that is some good advice. I know in the past I have had days when I just go in and do nothing but deadlifts, or bench press. Just to change up and really focus on an individual movement.

On a side note. I am really interested in 5/3/1. Can you point me to some information? I read an article in T Mag, and have seen references to the book (I plan on buying it today). I really like the built in progression and that it is strength based. Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by TXFatboy; 08-24-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Banned
    Yup, that approach got my bench up 45 pounds in a couple of months while I couldnt squat or DL due to injury. Basically trained twice a week and rested A LOT.

This approach is very similar to what I do during the week.

Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday I have very limited time to work out in the morning, about 45 minutes.

Tuesday:
    Bench
    OH press

Wednesday:
    Deadlift
    Pullups

Thursday:
    Squats

---

Short,sweet, and to the point. On weekends I do a push pull routine... I can't say I've seen massive jumps, but I can feel a difference when I go on weekend, plus I like the increased rest period.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TXFatboy View Post
    On a side note. I am really interested in 5/3/1. Can you point me to some information?.
    The e-book is really the best way to go. It makes everything clear, straight from the creator, and Wendler will get his $$$ from it. There is much more in the book than just the routines.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm glad some of you have tried similar kinds of routines. It's really about busting your butt on the essentials and spending the rest of the time recovering and growing. Wendler calls it the "Not Doing Jack SH** Routine." McRoberts calls it an Ultra-Hardgainer routine. McCallum would call it a specialization routine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Just on a side note ( a little of topic)- I usually do my major lifts first, but recently I've tried to move them closer to the end of my workouts to mix things up a little. I've had some pretty good results. Maybe I wasn't warming up enough before, or maybe I'm jumping out of an oncoming rut.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    The e-book is really the best way to go. It makes everything clear, straight from the creator, and Wendler will get his $$$ from it. There is much more in the book than just the routines.
    I downloaded it today. I'm 25 pages in already. It's getting good now.