The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How do i gain weight without getting fat belly?

Sup all? I'm new here. I've started gomad and eating other foods to reach my target of 5700 kcal per day. I was 103lbs 5'10. After 2 weeks of gomad with no strength training i gained 12lbs on my stomach.so now i'm a stick with a fat belly. As it is not where i intend to gain weight so i got my self weights. Today i did 3sets 10reps squat 22lbs deadlift 3sets 10reps 22lbs overhead press 22lbs. Light weights because i'm a stick. Is 5700kcal too much or do i need to cut down as gomad states to intake 5000 kcal per day. I lift light weights so is it too much. Thanks in advance

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

are you tracking calories and are sure your eating 5700 calories a day as thats a hell of alot esepcialy for some one weighing 103 lbs or 115 lbs now. Either way if your gaining too much fat your eating to much try eating 500 calories over maintenance and see where that gets you, theres plenty of diet info in the stickies. You may also want to get on a tried and tested routine.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    are you tracking calories and are sure your eating 5700 calories a day as thats a hell of alot esepcialy for some one weighing 103 lbs or 115 lbs now. Either way if your gaining too much fat your eating to much try eating 500 calories over maintenance and see where that gets you, theres plenty of diet info in the stickies. You may also want to get on a tried and tested routine.
    so you are suggesting that im extremly underweight and 5700kcal will make me fat as i'm lifting light weights like 22lbs 10kg for squat deadlift overhead press. Thanks

Wannabestronger
    103 lbs at 5'10 is very thin. But it doesn't give you the go ahead to eat unhealthy. Start by telling us what it is that you're eating, how often you are lifting, whether or not you're using free weights etc. Also, google Starting Strength if you need a good workout program

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dare Devil View Post
    103 lbs at 5'10 is very thin. But it doesn't give you the go ahead to eat unhealthy. Start by telling us what it is that you're eating, how often you are lifting, whether or not you're using free weights etc. Also, google Starting Strength if you need a good workout program
    Thanks for your reply. My diet plan 1.gomad 4l whole milk 3000kcal 2.100g almond 578kcal 3.120g peanut 750kcal 4.100g cashew 550kcal 5.6eggs 420kcal 6.1l juice 600kcal. Started lifting weights today 10kg for squat, deadlifts and overhad press 3sets 10reps for all. Will be lifting once in 48hrs. I've no self esteem. I need your advice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa r View Post
    so you are suggesting that im extremly underweight and 5700kcal will make me fat
    yes.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Your diet looks absolutely horrible. All I see you're eating is fat and more fat. You need to cut down on the fats, eat enough carbs to give your body energy and to help with recovery, and as much protein as you can possibly consume.

Also, weighing 100 lbs, if you think you need 5000-5700 calories a day, you're absolutely crazy. You're setting yourself up for MASSIVE failure.

I hope you dont take offense to my post, I once was lost like you are when it comes to dieting. I fell into the trap of eating anything and everything and got fat as ****.

I'll try and lay out a starting point for you

-Shoot for 200 grams of protein, you only weigh 100 lbs, 200 grams is a very easy starting goal to accomplish. stick to meats (fish/beef/chicken/turkey), egg whites, and a high quality protein powder for your protein (nitrean is great, also check out trueprotein.com if nitrean is too expensive for you)

-I dont eat much added fat in my diets (fats from meats are my main source) but sometimes i'll add peanut butter or olive oil to my shakes or eat some nuts before bed, i'll show you some sample meals below

-As for carbs, its highly individualistic but i'd say 150-175 (maybe 200) should be plenty starting out (you dont want to get fat) things like oats, rice, bread, tortillas, etc. keep it simple

Heres some meals i eat everyday, you'll need to change the portions as i'm 2.25x bigger than you are

Meal 1- 1 cup oats and 3 scoops protein powder
    meal 2- 8-10 oz. fish/ground turkey/beef/chicken, 4-6oz. rice/bread
    meal 3- same as 2
    meal 4- same as 2
    meal 5- 2 scoops protein, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon natty peanut butter
    meal 6- 2 scoops protein, 12 almonds

Depending on how hungry I am I might eat another meal some where in there as well (same as meal 2).

Hopefully this helps. Dont over-complicate this, as much protein as possible, just enough carbs to keep you full and energized, and a little fat here and there. Try to keep it as clean as possible if you're not wanting to gain fat. If a little fat doesnt bother you, then eat some cheat foods here and there but dont overdo it. People make this much harder than it is.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Your diet looks absolutely horrible. All I see you're eating is fat and more fat. You need to cut down on the fats, eat enough carbs to give your body energy and to help with recovery, and as much protein as you can possibly consume.

Also, weighing 100 lbs, if you think you need 5000-5700 calories a day, you're absolutely crazy. You're setting yourself up for MASSIVE failure.

I hope you dont take offense to my post, I once was lost like you are when it comes to dieting. I fell into the trap of eating anything and everything and got fat as ****.

I'll try and lay out a starting point for you

-Shoot for 200 grams of protein, you only weigh 100 lbs, 200 grams is a very easy starting goal to accomplish. stick to meats (fish/beef/chicken/turkey), egg whites, and a high quality protein powder for your protein (nitrean is great, also check out trueprotein.com if nitrean is too expensive for you)

-I dont eat much added fat in my diets (fats from meats are my main source) but sometimes i'll add peanut butter or olive oil to my shakes or eat some nuts before bed, i'll show you some sample meals below

-As for carbs, its highly individualistic but i'd say 150-175 (maybe 200) should be plenty starting out (you dont want to get fat) things like oats, rice, bread, tortillas, etc. keep it simple

Heres some meals i eat everyday, you'll need to change the portions as i'm 2.25x bigger than you are

Meal 1- 1 cup oats and 3 scoops protein powder
    meal 2- 8-10 oz. fish/ground turkey/beef/chicken, 4-6oz. rice/bread
    meal 3- same as 2
    meal 4- same as 2
    meal 5- 2 scoops protein, 1 banana, 1 tablespoon natty peanut butter
    meal 6- 2 scoops protein, 12 almonds

Depending on how hungry I am I might eat another meal some where in there as well (same as meal 2).

Hopefully this helps. Dont over-complicate this, as much protein as possible, just enough carbs to keep you full and energized, and a little fat here and there. Try to keep it as clean as possible if you're not wanting to gain fat. If a little fat doesnt bother you, then eat some cheat foods here and there but dont overdo it. People make this much harder than it is.
    thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right. For the past 3 months i've failed because of my unrealistic goals. Please tell me how much weight should i be lifting so that i get bigger arms legs shoulders chest as i only gain on my stomach because of maybe genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa r View Post
    thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right. For the past 3 months i've failed because of my unrealistic goals. Please tell me how much weight should i be lifting so that i get bigger arms legs shoulders chest as i only gain on my stomach because of maybe genetics.
    How much weight you should be lifting? Again, thats completely individualistic, there are no set numbers. Pick a routine and stick with it. WBB has plenty of good routines, start with something like WBB routine 1. heres the link http://www.wannabebig.com/training/t...ginal-routine/ Go complete balls to the wall on every working set. Write down your lifts each week and make up your mind that you'll beat those numbers the following week. Dont pussy foot around in the gym, go in, get **** done and get out. Dont stand around and talk to others, thats for the small guys who never make progress. You should feel like you got hit by a mack truck when you leave. You shouldn't be comfortable at the gym either, making yourself grow is not a comfortable thing to put your body through. Your body wants to stay small, and to get it bigger, you're gonna have to do a lot of uncomfortable things to it. It sure as hell isn't going to be a painless process.

I feel like I'm preaching here, but damn, I see so many guys at the gym constantly making no progress. If you want muscle, eat smart while keeping it simple, train hard, and make it happen!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Clean up your diet and eat enough to gain 2-5lbs a week. Eat high protein.

Find a tried and true program that has you doing compound lifts 2-4 times a week.

Start light, try to add weight to the bar every time you are in the gym. For now, stick in the 4-8 rep range.

Don't kill yourself in the gym. Just aim to get a little bit better each time.

Be consistent.

Don't get discouraged or compare yourself to others.

Recognize this strength game is a lifestyle and takes a long time to see significant progress.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 08-08-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Clean up your diet and eat enough to gain 2-5lbs a week. Eat high protein.

Find a tried and true program that has you doing compound lifts 2-4 times a week.

Start light, try to add weight to the bar every time you are in the gym. For now, stick in the 4-8 rep range.

Don't kill yourself in the gym. Just aim to get a little bit better each time.

Be consistent.

Don't get discouraged or compare yourself to others.

Recognize this strength game is a lifestyle and takes a long time to see significant progress.
    I like it...sums it up nicely.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2-5 lbs per week? That's 8-20 lbs per month.

And you guys think this aligns with the OP's goal of putting on lean weight?

Well, I prefer 1 or 2 lbs per week myself. But as a beginner, faster lean gains are very possible. He just needs to keep an eye on his fat levels.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2-5 lbs per week? That's 8-20 lbs per month.

And you guys think this aligns with the OP's goal of putting on lean weight?
    You're right. But hes also 115lbs and 5'10''.

With a solid program, he should be able to put on 45-70lbs and still look like an average male. 115lbs is emaciated. If he can gain 8-20lbs a month while he's squatting, dead lifting and pressing 2-4x, he will put on significant lean mass
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 08-08-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

Slow and steady eat enough to gain without getting fat and youll fill out nicely remember this sport takes longer than over night to make a difference!

Be patient!!!!
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Why would drink a gallon of milk without weighlifting???

I would lose the 12lbs of belly first personally, which shouldn't take too much time.

Then, I would buy a York 300lbs set if I couldn't join a gym. If possible, I'd get a power rack and an adjustable bench. Heck, a home made bench and home made oly style squat stand would be more than enough.

If I was too lazy to try to find a cheap way to get a squat stand, I'd do the following: clean and jerks, clean and presses, muscle snatches, close grip muscle snatches, clean and push presses, clean and front squats, deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, snatches, power snatches, power cleans, bent over rows, pull ups, dips, barbell curls, clean - push presses - good mornings. That would be enough to last me a long time.

If I had a squat stand, I'd do Starting Strength.

If you're feeling hungry, it's time to eat more. If you're not gaining strength, it's time to deload and eat more. This can last a long time. I think if you lose the belly, you can easily gain 50lbs this year just doing this.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 08-08-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Well, I prefer 1 or 2 lbs per week myself. But as a beginner, faster lean gains are very possible. He just needs to keep an eye on his fat levels.
    Ok, I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    You're right. But hes also 115lbs and 5'10''.

With a solid program, he should be able to put on 45-70lbs and still look like an average male. 115lbs is emaciated. If he can gain 8-20lbs a month while he's squatting, dead lifting and pressing 2-4x, he will put on significant lean mass
    Significant mass? Yes. Lean? No...

Maybe the first month 10 lbs is realistic, but newbie gains fade real fast.

Imagine if he ate a clean diet, lifted heavy progressive weight each week, and stuck with it for a year. If he gained a solid 1-1.5 lbs a week, thats 4-6 lbs a month. Thats an easy 50 lbs after one year. That would be some amazing progress.

You said it yourself, it "takes a long time to see significant progress."
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 08-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Ok, I agree with this.

Significant mass? Yes. Lean? No...

Maybe the first month 10 lbs is realistic, but newbie gains fade real fast.

Imagine if he ate a clean diet, lifted heavy progressive weight each week, and stuck with it for a year. If he gained a solid 1-1.5 lbs a week, thats 4-6 lbs a month. Thats an easy 50 lbs after one year. That would be some amazing progress.

You said it yourself, it "takes a long time to see significant progress."
    I think we are getting a little ticky-tacky trying to get too precise with specific numbers...

I am going to assume, since he's so underweight, he has a very hard time eating or has some type of endocrine problem. It may be a good idea for him to go see a doctor and see if he has a thyroid or other glandular problem.

To me, it's much better to get on the right path and make forward progress, rather then getting distracted by details and suffering from paralysis by analysis.

The bottom line is he needs to eat much more than he is now and strength train properly with heavy compound lifts.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 08-09-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

Drinking a gallon of milk every day, while effective, is really not a good idea.

Trade out the milk for something like a Maximus which is made up of a lot higher quality calories and is much more balanced.

Do this in addition to cleaning up your diet

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I want to comment on something jay dubb stated, but am on my phone and it is a pain just to quote the one line. True Protein is a great company and they allow you to pretty much make any blend of protein you want. I have purchased from them numerous times. There are many things you have to consider when ordering from them. Shipping can be very expensive if you don't live on the west coast, as they are located out of California. If you live on the east coast, you pay a good amount for that and are looking at a week plus until you get your supplements. You can get cheaper protein there, but if you make a blend the equivalent of Nitrean, you will spend more. So if you want to buy 10 lbs of whey concentrate, you will save, but with blends Nitrean is the way to go. It is a time tested proven formula that is effective and has proven efficacy. Finally, purchasing supplements from AtLarge Nutrition ensures this site continues to provide the great content it currently does. There are few reasons not to get you supplements from AtLarge if you are a regular visitor to this site. I wouldn't go so far to say it is one's responsibility to, but I look at it that way, and is why I am a paying customer.
    Last edited by joey54; 08-09-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    1) Please do not bulk. It's pointless. Any fat you gain means extra calories that you're NOT using to built muscle. Simple as that. Increase your caloric intake from your original (not the GOMAD) one by 500 per day. Aim for lots of protein and carbs with little fat on training days and a slightly lower caloric intake of more fat and less carbs, keeping protein constant, on rest days.

2) GOMAD is not something I would recommend. Please increase your caloric intake slowly. When you find you're starting to get fat, PLEASE decrease calories. Cutting after a bulk is no fun and can be avoided by simply not bulking.

3) Get a good, solid lifting programme like stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength or Muscle Gaining Secrets by Jay Ferruggia.

Wannabebig Member
    To clarify, I meant increase your daily caloric intake from your maintenance calories by 500. Every week, increase it by another 500 until you find you're getting fat. And please, take pictures every two weeks. It will really help you gauge your progress.

Wannabebig Member
    Wow dude thats way to many calories. Im assuming your a small cut dude so you probs will still need a bit of calories, but 5700?? Youll put on 20kgs in a few months for sure, but definitly wont be muscle. Cut the fats, up the protein. Try and get your calories around 3500 or so. Gauge your own self, but for some to be putting in 5700 kals and expecting to be fat is either a mammoth of a man of an intense athlete who trains all day and will burn it off.

Banned
    At your weight, I would imagine a normal 2000-2500 calorie diet will make you gain weight.