Thread: Need clarification

Wannabebig Member

Need clarification

Hi,
    I am just getting back into working out. I studied a little and find it hard to believe that this is supposed to be the way to do things.
    Basically I work out one day, miss the next and so on. I repeat this process the next week. So each exercise I do once a week. Then after two weeks I increase my weights. So I do my sets once a week, then again the next week, then I am ready to increase?
    I am not lifting a lot yet so it is not very serious, but I would like to approach this properly this time.
    Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Hello Mr. Jackimo,

I do not understand how you are working things here. You exercise one day, rest, and then exercise the next. But you only work an exercise once per week. I do not comprehend.

You could do a whole workout, with basic exercises twice per week, using two exercise days, or you could do a whole workout three times per week. Then you would be doing the basic compound exercises two or three times per week.

Wannabebig Member
    OK well with any luck, the information I gathered is either incorrect or I misunderstood it. Yes, as far as I knew I was supposed to do each exercise once per week, so I have been spreading it out into small sessions with a few exercises each second day.
    So you are telling me I could do all my exercises in one session - and do this two or three times a week?
    If we take a bench press as an example, I would do 3 x 6 with my hands touching the weights, two days later my hands between eye and shoulder width, then the third day my hands close together. If I was to do this in one session I would fatigue too early. Any ideas on this?
    Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Read this: HCT-12
    And this: Starting Strength

Those should get you on the right track.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Read this: HCT-12
    And this: Starting Strength

Those should get you on the right track.
    Thanks mate I will have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackimo View Post
    OK well with any luck, the information I gathered is either incorrect or I misunderstood it. Yes, as far as I knew I was supposed to do each exercise once per week, so I have been spreading it out into small sessions with a few exercises each second day.
    So you are telling me I could do all my exercises in one session - and do this two or three times a week?
    If we take a bench press as an example, I would do 3 x 6 with my hands touching the weights, two days later my hands between eye and shoulder width, then the third day my hands close together. If I was to do this in one session I would fatigue too early. Any ideas on this?
    Thanks for taking the time to help me.
    Hmm, I had the idea that you were beginning to use weights. So, a routine with basic exercises would be a good start, such as press, squat, pullover, row, deadlift, shrug, bench press, calf raise, doing one or two sets, twice or thrice weekly, for several weeks. Then you could move on to more sets.

However, you seem to have a different kind of plan. You do bench presses three days per week. When do you work your legs or back?

There are many articles on this site. That book "Starting Strength" is designed to take a fellow and make him strong, teaching several basic exercises. That is one good place to start. Or, now this site has a new programme, which I haven't read yet. I am going to download it now that I am at a faster connexion.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for your replies, I obviously found a good site.
    I will definately check out the book, and let you know how I get on.