Thread: HST- First cycle questions

HST- First cycle questions

Hi guys,
    I am in the week4 of my first HST cycle, and my goal of trying out the HST is to hold onto my leanbody mass as I try to lower my bodyfat. My diet is in check and I have seen really good results in my 3.5 weeks on HST than I did before with a traditional 4 day split workout.

My HST question is, if I should go back to 15RM's after 4 weeks and repeat 2 weeks of 15's and 2 weeks of 10's and then do a strategic deconditioning or if I should carry on and do the 5RM's for two weeks and then decondition and restart the cycle. . Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

Thalapathi

Not sure if i understand your question correctly...

You're on your fourth week of HST (this should be your last week of 10's). You want to know if you should go back to 15's? I would say no. The whole idea behind HST is that you continually increase in weight. If you drop back to the 15's now, you'll be dropping down in weight without doing SD. That will wind up hurting you in the end. If your goal is hold on to the muscle you have, keep going on the normal cycle and do your two weeks of 5's. This is where you'll really gain the most mass anyway. Then, do cardio on your off days to help whittle away the fat.

Most people on this board don't do HST. This seems to be more of a HIT board. You might get better response to HST-specific questions on www.hypertrophy-specific.com.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Cue-Ball- Thanks. I will be posting this on HST forums too. But I wanted to see what WBB members had to say. I remember reading B&I, FartBarker, Monstar are all using HST principles now.
    Last edited by thalapathi; 05-12-2002 at 07:12 PM.

I would also suggest sticking to the plan. Since one of the underlying concepts of HST is that hypertrophy is related to increasing load, I think it would be unwise to jump back to 15's(and its concommitant drop in poundages) I have commented that I got my best results in the 15's and 10's, but if you were going to skip the 5's and negatives I think it would be better to plan this from the beginning. Anyways, since this is your first time through HST I'd suggest following Haycock's principles and see how they work. Then make an assessment as to whether, in your case, dropping the 5's or negatives would benefit you and make those changes during your next cycle

Thanks B&I. Upon reading a lot of feedback on the HST boards, of people who were done with their HST cycles, I felt the consensus was that people felt that the 5RM's was not giving them enough of a workout initially. So I am just paranoid and feel I would be doing almost close to zero volume compared to 15's and 10's. Then I reread the articles and saw Bryan recommends doing warmup sets. So I guess I could use a one/two warm up sets for first exercise of each muscle group.
    Last edited by thalapathi; 05-12-2002 at 07:31 PM.

5's started killing my joints both times I tried it. I have come up with a modification of HST that I like:

1 week of 15's
    1 week of 10's
    1 week of 15's (5-10 more pounds than the first time)
    1 week of 10's (5-10 more pounds than the first time)
    1 week of 15's (5-10 more pounds than the second time)
    1 week of 10's (5-10 more pounds than the second time)
    maybe some deconditioning

delphi- thanks. As I earlier stated my main goal is to optimize my fatloss and consequently hold onto as much lean mass as possible. When I originally posted , i was thinking of a similar program, but the modification was
    1'st week 15RM's
    2'nd week 15 RM's
    3'rd week 10RM
    4'th week 10RM
    5'th week - 15RM (add 10lbs from week1)
    6'th week - 15RM
    7'th week 10RM (add 10lbs from week3)
    8'th week 10RM
    deconditioning.
    Delphi has the above HST modification you posted worked for you and could you please tell me what your goal were.

I like the way things are going. My main goal was to gain some weight. I only gained one pound the first time around- 2 weeks of 15s, 2 weeks of tens, one week of 5s. The reason I didn't gain more was because I didn't realize how much my BMR had increased by lifting 3x a week, full-body workouts. The 2nd time around I gained 4-5 pounds. I laid off last week to give my elbows and forearms a rest. I resumed doing 15s yesterday. Tonight I'm starting to feel DOMS. I haven't felt that in a long time.

The first cycle I zigzagged the weight. The second cycle I did linear progression. If you ever decide to do 5s I would suggest increasing the intervals to 5-10 pounds more than the intervals had been for 15s or 10s. Both times I tried 5s I was too close to my 5RMs to be lifting three times a week. This will necesarily mean you will be zigzagging. Zigzagging is becoming more accepted on the HST forum as trainees get into their 2nd and 3rd cycles and beyond.

There's lots more people on the HST forum who are doing weekly cycling these days. I'd say give it a go with two-week cycles to be as close to the original HST as you can, and then decide if you want to keep doing it that way.

I have finally gotten used to the idea of doing single sets per exercise per workout. If you think about it, the whole theory makes sense: You can lift every 48 hours if you haven't gone to failure and overtaxed your nervous system. I plan to continue doing it my way for a few more weeks, then I may switch to doing a push-pull-legs split. I gained 20 pounds last fall doing a push-pull split, and I'd like to compare the results from my version of HST to push-pull-legs.
    Last edited by Delphi; 05-12-2002 at 10:09 PM.

Originally posted by Delphi
    I have finally gotten used to the idea of doing single sets per exercise per workout. If you think about it, the whole theory makes sense: You can lift every 48 hours if you haven't gone to failure and overtaxed your nervous system. I plan to continue doing it my way for a few more weeks, then I may switch to doing a push-pull-legs split. I gained 20 pounds last fall doing a push-pull split, and I'd like to compare the results from my version of HST to push-pull-legs.
    I think this is the reason that many people end up overtraining or quitting HST before finishing a full cycle. People get used to doing the HIT style and always going to failure. You just can't do that when you're working your whole body three times per week. I think that more people would like the HST system if they would allow themselves to leave the gym when they're done with what needs to be done, instead of throwing in another set (or two) and trying to go to failure on every workout.

Agree with Cue-Ball.

Almost everyone that I have read about that has given HST a shot has gone straight from an HIT type of program. So they end up going all out to failure whether or not they believe they do. So like you said hitting your entire body 3x per week, going to failure, youre just asking for the program not to work. I mean the program is based on only going to failure once or twice in the course of a 2-week microcycle. This has to be taken into consideration! My 2nd week of each microcycle is always very hard but not all out to failure like the last workout is.

MS