The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Question about German Volume Training

I started it last week and i did my chest and back. I got all the reps for my back but after my 4th set for my chest, i felt extremely weak and could only get on avg lik 7 reps.

Is it because i did my back 1st cuz i sure as heck was sore. Cuz if thats the case i can do whichever needs more work first. OR could i just superset a chest and back movement instead of doing them seperately

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    I started it last week and i did my chest and back. I got all the reps for my back but after my 4th set for my chest, i felt extremely weak and could only get on avg lik 7 reps.

Is it because i did my back 1st cuz i sure as heck was sore. Cuz if thats the case i can do whichever needs more work first. OR could i just superset a chest and back movement instead of doing them seperately
    Next time you do your chest/back workout, do chest first. and see what happens. If you're still struggling, after the 4th or 5th set (instead of the 8-10th set), reduce the weight on your chest exercises next time around.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Plan accordingly and drop the weight used.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I trained like that too once, but i kinda stepped away from it. You have to understand that those are two major muscle groups and i think, especially, when you are doing GVT you shouldn't do both on the same day. You have already drained alot of your energy when you start on your second muscle group.

So like Iplan said, you can either switch them up every week, so one week starting back, the next chest etc, or yuo could do back/ biceps - chest/triceps, which also seem a better combination when doing GVT, but that's just my personal opinion.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Or you could do back/ biceps - chest/triceps, which also seem a better combination when doing GVT, but that's just my personal opinion.
    I agree totally, but GVT has them grouped that way:
    Day 1: Chest/ Back
    Day 2: Legs/ Abs
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: Arms/ Shoulders

I did GVT several times, and it works. That said, I think that you can get the same growth with a lot less sets (work), using SS, Texas Method, 5x5, etc ~ just make sure your're eating and sucking down protein shakes 3x per day, and your body will respond.

One thing about GVT, and this may be just me, but I found the workouts get mentally taxing really quick.... 26 sets is not bad for a workout, but that represents 260 reps in GVT..... that's a lot of wear and tear (especially when it's only spread over 4 or 5 exercises). All I know is that about the third week, I dreaded going out to my garage to a workout, and any excuse not to lift was a good excuse....

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Wannabebig Member
    Well i might jus keep the same split or switch it to

legs/shoulders
    chest/tris
    back/bis

^^im kinda skeptical about messing with the fomula so ill try some different things out

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    Well i might switch it to

legs/shoulders
    chest/tris
    back/bis

Regardless of what you decide to do, eating for two people, and lots of rest (even when it's not a rest day) are crucial with the GVT program.

Finally, 6-weeks and you're on to something else. This is not a long term program.
    Last edited by Iplan; 08-16-2010 at 09:00 PM.