Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Exactly does "RAW" Mean?

Wannabebig Member

What Exactly does "RAW" Mean?

I know this is a super dumb question, but I am slightly confused...

I've read here and there that RAW means, basically, you do your lifts with no special equipment. I assumed this meant no lifting shirts, squat suits, wraps, straps, and so on,

However (this is where I got confused) I see videos of guys doing RAW lifts who seem to be wearing wearing suits and wraps and gloves and straps out the ying yang.

So, just to clear things up, what does RAW mean? And what exactly is considered "Special Equipment"?

I'm new to the whole powerlifting competition thing, so any help understanding this stuff is much appreciated.

Thanks

Raw means what ever you think it does. Some feds allow just a belt, some allow a belt and wrist wraps, Some feds allow a belt and wrist and knee wraps. Just lift in the feds you agree with as you have choices.

In no fed is theyre raw division allowing any type of brief suit or shirt though.
    Last edited by ScottYard; 08-15-2010 at 05:41 AM.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Almost forgot........some feds allow neoprene sleeves while some feds allow heavy cloth sleeves. So again raw is what you want it to be lol.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Wannabebig New Member
    You didn't see suits, you saw singlets.

Wannabebig Member

The Raw Deal

Right now raw is one of two things, with or without knee wraps. That's how the records read. A belt is a given . Wrist wraps don't add any weight to your lifts nor do knee sleeves. Both serve as a "comfort" thing for the lifter. Knee wraps can add plenty weight to a squat that is why knee wrap meets have much higher numbers than non knee wrap meets.

I've seen guys get 30 lbs from elite and apt sleeves.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

SCott, do you really think those knee sleeves give you that much? or is it more of a mental thing? I know that some sleeves provide more support then others and in my own training the better ones feel like more support. This helps me to feel more comfortable with heavier weight. But is it really helping the body or just the mind?

I've seen the knee sleeves he is talking about and yes they could easily add 30 lbs. They are very heavy material and some people wear them so tight they can barely get them on. They are not what most people would typically think of as "knee sleeves".
    With the neoprene knee sleeves I think you are correct. They keep the joint warm but don't offer much, if any, actual physical support.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I've seen guys get 30 lbs from elite and apt sleeves.
    Scott, I'd argue with you on that one, especially with "single ply" sleeves. I think the mental factor is giving the lifters as much of a boost if not more than the sleeves are.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Wannabebig Member
    So, basically, RAW can be with or without knee wraps and everyone wears a belt? And then wrist wraps and knee sleeves are optional to the lifter, depending on the competition?

Quote Originally Posted by kendals View Post
    So, basically, RAW can be with or without knee wraps and everyone wears a belt? And then wrist wraps and knee sleeves are optional to the lifter, depending on the competition?
    Hey Kendals! I'll go a little further and get into the 'philosophy' of it. What I think most want to do by lifting raw is compare them selves to the 'old school' lifters of the 60's-70's etc. Many are too young to remember that they wore wraps of some sort from the beginning, as well as belts. Both me and Jon Grove and some others feel that this form of lifting should be called 'classic' instead of raw to illiminate this confusion. 'Raw' was never a powerlifting term until recently (last 10-12 years or so I guess). I assume the term is used because it also means 'naked' LOL!

So, 'Raw' is really a new and different type of competition; not lifting like the original stars of powerlifting. People keep pointing out the isolated videos of old school lifters without wraps but they were lifters who for whatever reason choice not to use wraps. They had the option to use them, except for a very brief time when they tried taking them out of the meet and soon put them back in due to the obvious lack of safety. And that's basically the underlying reason for belts and wraps. It is the minimal common sense safety. I've always advocated adopting a 2 meter wrap limit and belts across the board for all feds who have 'Raw' meets. Wheather it's called raw or classic really wouldn't matter. Just no shirts, suits, or briefs.

Sorry for the extended history but I thought it might help you understand why we have the confusion and debates. Like Scott said, as it stands now; just pick the fed that does it how you what to lift. Fortunately or unfortunately (however you see it) there are certainly a lot of choices out there. Good luck whichever you choose!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Wrist wraps make a big difference to my bench, not sure how much really but maybe 20lb.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Scott, I'd argue with you on that one, especially with "single ply" sleeves. I think the mental factor is giving the lifters as much of a boost if not more than the sleeves are.
    Scott said: "ive seen"....... so i dont know how you can argue that. i believe that one could get 30lb's out of certian sleeves.
    1813@181

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Impastato View Post
    Right now raw is one of two things, with or without knee wraps. That's how the records read. A belt is a given . Wrist wraps don't add any weight to your lifts nor do knee sleeves. Both serve as a "comfort" thing for the lifter. Knee wraps can add plenty weight to a squat that is why knee wrap meets have much higher numbers than non knee wrap meets.
    This is your opinion, not a certainty. Wrist wraps definitely add to my lift. It's not comfort. i cannot bench as much without wrist wraps.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    Sorry for the extended history but I thought it might help you understand why we have the confusion and debates. Like Scott said, as it stands now; just pick the fed that does it how you what to lift. Fortunately or unfortunately (however you see it) there are certainly a lot of choices out there. Good luck whichever you choose!
    Lol that's alright, the history major in me enjoys "extended historys"

Thank you guys for your help! Makes alot more sense now!

My own personal logic regarding which equipment should be counted as "Raw" or not:

If you had to draw a force diagram, would the equipment contribute any force to the movement of the barbell?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

At one point, I learned to get a good 30lbs out of my rehbands. Simply because it limited rom and when when you squat to an atg/bounce rather than parallel that can mean a difference of 3-5"

Personally, raw to me is no no no. No belt or wraps or nothing. But realistically, a belt, wrist wraps and knee sleeves are 'raw'.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1400total View Post
    SCott, do you really think those knee sleeves give you that much? or is it more of a mental thing? I know that some sleeves provide more support then others and in my own training the better ones feel like more support. This helps me to feel more comfortable with heavier weight. But is it really helping the body or just the mind?
    I do.

If they didnt people wouldnt buy them.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    Scott said: "ive seen"....... so i dont know how you can argue that. i believe that one could get 30lb's out of certian sleeves.
    Oh good grief... Do you count the hairs on your chest too and get upset and start plucking if there's more than 41.7?

I said I think that the mental boost from the sleeves is giving the individual as much as the actual assistance of the sleeve. THAT was my point of discussion, not arguing with the semantics of his post.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Just a quick note.. Since "Raw" isn't an acronym, there's no need to capitalize the whole thing.

Thanks.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    My own personal logic regarding which equipment should be counted as "Raw" or not:

If you had to draw a force diagram, would the equipment contribute any force to the movement of the barbell?
    If this is meant to only exclude bench shirts and squat suits, I´m afraid you´re mistaken. Remember the normal force, i.e. stability.

But, to the OP, as this thread clearly shows there is no one set criteria for raw lifting. usually its just a meet criteria, which varies depending on what fed you´re in.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by jk1 View Post
    oh good grief... Do you count the hairs on your chest too and get upset and start plucking if there's more than 41.7?

I said i think that the mental boost from the sleeves is giving the individual as much as the actual assistance of the sleeve. That was my point of discussion, not arguing with the semantics of his post.
    good one! I feel like an idiot now!
    1813@181

To me raw is lifting completely naked. Never know how much a pair of tighty whities might add.

Just be very careful deadlifting!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    To me raw is lifting completely naked. Never know how much a pair of tighty whities might add.

Just be very careful deadlifting!
    I once did an Oly session in loose boxers because of the heat. My second rep with 40kg I clipped my cock and wanted to cry. Now I always train with tight underwear under my clothes to keep things out of the way... but I'm afraid this adds weight to my lifts.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    lol @ clipping cock.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB