The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Ed coan deadlift cycle

I come here all the time but rarely post. I prefer to lay low and just absorb all of the good info. In april I competed in a tactical strength challenge. Max attempt deadlift, max reps on pullups and a 5 min kettlebell snatch test. I weighed in at 150. I pulled 405. Right now I'm getting ready for the next one in sept. If it works well I plan on another cycle to take me up to a meet in dec. I am in week 5 of the Coan/Phillipi deadlift cycle. So far its been brutally hard. Has anyone here used it before? If so, what were your results? Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

thats a great pull and congrats. TSC is something I'm looking to get into, could you post the ed coan deadlift cycle by any chance?

Good luck in your training
    Work hard. Stay humble.

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry dude. Here is the link for the calculator. Just input your current max and your desired max. It will give you a cycle.

http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/c...lipi_deadlift/

One my fellow PL team members just finished a cycle fo the Ed Coan routine to bring up his raw deadlift and it worked very well for him. He went from a 550 raw pull up to 573 during the cycle (weighing ~170), so I'd say it worked as before that his DL hadn't gone up in a year or more. And yes, it is brutally hard.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

When I used it, my deadlift did go up. My squat and bench didn't really move though, because the deadlift training was killing me. Since you only really care about deadlift, it should work.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks. So far, I've still been able to train the other power lifts. It seems o.k. as long as I keep the volume low and space things out. I really liked using 5/3/1 but it got to the point that I had trouble with recovery even at 3 days a week. I gradually moved towards more of a westside feel with the exception of the dl cycle. Seems to be working pretty good. All of my lifts are moving up. Right now this is my schedule:

Mon: Coan dl cycle
    Tues: rest
    Wed: ME upper body
    Thurs: DE lower body
    Fri: rest
    Sat: DE/RE upper body
    Sun: rest

I was curious if there are alot of warmups to this cycle. Can someone detail a typical deadlift day?

Wannabebig Member
    I just warm up like a regular DL day. Go to the link posted above, once you input your numbers, it will break down the complete workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by basbolstar View Post
    I was curious if there are alot of warmups to this cycle. Can someone detail a typical deadlift day?

Banned
    How are you training the other lifts? I've known people that have ran this before and they didnt squat (although squat was maintained by the coan program) but did smolov jr for bench training. Worked well for a lot of people i know.

This has got to be one of the most hellacious looking routines i've seen

Wannabebig Member
    I've tried a few things so far. I tried speed squats and they just wore my hips out. I tried power cleans and front squats and I couldn't recover. Then I tried high bar squats 5/3/1 style with heavy abs and that felt awesome. I was fully recovered by the next week. So far though, the thing that has helped the most has been my nutrition. I follow John Berardi's Precision Nutrition. It tends to be pretty low in complex carbs. The first couple of weeks just really sucked so I started carb loading 24 hrs before the deadlift day. I used Shelby Starne's recommendation for carb rotation. It has been working really well.