Thread: How does this contest prep look?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

How does this contest prep look?

Day 1 back
    Carbs/protein/fat
    Moderate carb day 35/45/20
    HIIT 20mins

Day 2 Chest/tris
    Complex Training 20mins

Day 3 off
    Low carb day 10/60/30
    One hour LISS

Day 4 Legs
    High carb day 65/35/5
    20 minutes complex training
    30 minutes LISS

Day 5 Shoulders/bis
    HIIT 20mins

Day 6 off
    Low carb day 10/60/30
    LISS one hour

Day 7 off
    Low carb day 10/60/30
    LISS one hour

Opinions/suggestions? Thanks.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Id be more curious to see what your macros are in grams vs percentages. Also, depending on your leg workout, you may find it hard to do HIIT the day after leg day...I know I did. When you are down to contest prep cals, I found that you really have to plan well to aid in recovery since it will take you a little longer to recover. BCAAs supplementation helped with this. Do you plan to incorporate a no carb day or any refeeds?
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    Id be more curious to see what your macros are in grams vs percentages. Also, depending on your leg workout, you may find it hard to do HIIT the day after leg day...I know I did. When you are down to contest prep cals, I found that you really have to plan well to aid in recovery since it will take you a little longer to recover. BCAAs supplementation helped with this. Do you plan to incorporate a no carb day or any refeeds?
    This is not for me it is for a bikini competitor I'm training for the NPC show. This is my first cosmetic client. She loses weight very easily and has a hard time putting mass on so the 3 10% carbs days will suffice. Last time she dieted down on her own and low carb dieted all week she said she felt very depleted and came in too skinny. She does supplement with BCAAS and protein.

You make a good point on being able to do hiit after leg day I'll have to communicate with her on this and possibly change it closer to contest time.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

As recommended above I would track the grams of each macronutrient rather than just ratios, this will allow you to manipulate things and plan meals a bit more easily.

With regard to training I am curious what you will be doing in terms of complexes? Plyometrics are a great way to to train but performing them directly before or after the weight training may not be the best way to split them up (not sure if you were doing split sessions or not). You may want to devote one day to rest and eliminate one of the LISS days on the weekend to avoid over-training.

For supplements I have heard good things about BCAA's and a good fat burner would obviously be another nice addition. For foods I would see how she responds to things like lean stack or natural peanut butter since they can work great for some people but cause problems for others.

Since she is doing bikini she does not need to be overly lean or muscular, the main focus should be on aesthetics.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

We will get grams layed out I need to talk to her about what her maintenance level is if she knows. I'm pretty sure has a general Idea which will then I will be able to lay these out in grams.

As far as complexes tom I was thinking along the line of barbell and DB Complexes. 6 reps front squat/6reps clean press/6 reps RDL/6reps row. 4 sets rest 90 seconds between sets.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 08-17-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Day 1 back
    Carbs/protein/fat
    HIIT 20mins

Day 2 Chest/tris
    Complex Training 20mins

Day 3 off
    Low carb day 10/60/30
    One hour LISS

Day 4 Legs
    High carb day 65/35/5
    20 minutes complex training
    30 minutes LISS

Day 5 Shoulders/bis
    HIIT 20mins

Day 6 off
    Low carb day 10/60/30
    LISS one hour

Day 7 off
    Low carb day 10/60/30
    LISS one hour

Opinions/suggestions? Thanks.
    For the diet approach a carb cycle is not needed for a bikini competitor, and for the most part firgure as well unless they really have a hard time leaning out. The look of a bikini competitor is athletic with curves. If she looks like she could possibly be in figure then she will loose points.

If she has a hard time putting onb muscle but looses weight quickly there is something not right and you may need to dig a bit deeper to find out everyuthing she has been doing in detail. The diet approach needs to be just slightly below maintenance and kept the same all week. I would keep carbs around 30-35% and fat around 15%. If she does lose weight quickly the last thing you want to do is have fluctuations in her calorie intake. Bikini competitors need to be tight but not too conditioned and this should not require carb cycling, low carb, etc.... just a balanced approach slightly below maintenance and adjust accordingly as you go depending on her feedback. All this is general of course without knowing her and more background info.

For Training unless she has no muscle development at all I would not do a basic bodypart split. For females in general they should be on more of a hybrid type program combining traditional bodypart exercises with functional movements and some plyos integrated in to make a tri-plex or quad-plex to induce more metabolic demand along with some hypertrophy.

For exapmple one day may look like this:

1a) One Arm DB Snatch 3-4 Xs 6-8 EA
    1b) Alt. DB Seated Side Laterals 3-4 Xs 10-12 EA
    1c) SB Skiers 3-4 Xs 10-M ES
    1d) MB Alternate Side Reach Lunges with a push 3-4 Xs 10-12 ES

2a) BW Recline Pull Ups 3-4 Xs 10-15
    2b) Bent Alt. DB rows for speed 3-4 Xs 15 ES
    2b) Plyo Box/Bench Jumps (3 Rows) 3-4 Xs 4 times
    2d) Any Crunch Variation 3-4 Xs 15-20

3a) BB Deadlifts or One Arm DB Deadlift 3-4 Xs 8-10
    3b) Alt. DB Clean and Press 3-4 Xs 8-10
    3c) Inch Worms 3-4 Xs 8-12
    3d) Cable High to Low Chop 3-4 Xs 10-15 ES

Training females should be more athletic based to get better payoff. A bodypart split has its place if they don't have any muscle development but still then hybrid forms are better and less traditional cardio is needed. When it comes to steady stae cardio a bikini competitor or any for that matter should never dop more than 45 min at a time and max 2-3 days per week. If proper programing is done not even that is needed. Think outside the box .

What are your credentials to be precontest training somebody Thomas? To set up a program for somebody without discussing their basal needs first seems asanine to me. Additionally using a ratio with no regard to how many calories their taking in makes no sense either. Like the others said, establish macros that fit based off of her necessary requirments for each, not mere percentages of total intake.

Contest prep is nothing to be taken lightly. You can do serious physical, hormonal, psychological etc harm if you're not very attentive to everything that's going on. I worked with a very reputable wnbf pro and well respected coach this last summer. Yet stilll I'm only just now leveling out hormonally. Still suffering from beat up joints and ligaments from going too hard when I was too lean. And the I developed serious anxiety with very, very scary panic attacks deep into prep.

It's really nothing to be taken lightly. Best of luck and keep us updated oh she's doing/does!
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Ok I did jump the gun a little bit without talking to her about a her individual metabolic physiology. After talking with her and past experiences in dieting this is what I'm going to have her do in the meantime(She's 9weeks out) and will adjust accordingly.

1700cals

Protein=191G
    Carbs=148G
    Fat=37G

20 minutes LISS After weight training 3xweek
    Complex training Day 6-rest day.

Last time she did an extreme amount of cardio(stair stepper 30mins2xday 7x/week.) Which was why she probably came in to skinny.

She's 5'10 her current weight is 154 with tank top and workout shorts which is the most she's ever weighed and she is pretty lean you can see definition in her body. I'd guess she's anywhere from 15-19% I have a hard time guessing with females they all look so different at certain percentages as opposed to guys to me. Last time she came in too skinny at 127lbs(Allen I'll pm you her past contest photo) She has put on a good amount of muscle working with me.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 08-17-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I worked with a very reputable wnbf pro and well respected coach this last summer. Yet stilll I'm only just now leveling out hormonally. Still suffering from beat up joints and ligaments from going too hard when I was too lean. And the I developed serious anxiety with very, very scary panic attacks deep into prep.
    This is something many competitors need to watch out for. Just because someone is a pro or competes at high levels does not make them qualified to coah someone.

She did not come to me for nutrition coaching she came to me wanting to put on more muscle. I do know more than her about nutrition so I'm going to help her as best as I can. It's that or have her do it on her own. This is my first time preping someone so I am working hand in hand with other experienced trainers in this area.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er