Thread: New Place, Limited Equipment

Wannabebig New Member

New Place, Limited Equipment

First of all, I'm a newbie. I'm not someone who has worked out for years. Last year over the summer I followed Starting Strength and put on 25lb in 12 weeks (I started out underweight, obviously). I won't make excuses for why I stopped when I got back to school after the summer (senior year of college) because they would be just that: excuses.

Anyway, now I've moved to a new city and have settled in and want to start working out again. My apartment has a fitness center which I would like to use for the convenience. It appears as though there isn't a good gym close by, so I would have to rely on a bus to get to a gym, and I don't think I'm willing to put that much travel time in just to get to the gym.

The problem is that the fitness center doesn't have much (for whatever reason, not a single apartment complex I looked at had a barbell...). The equipment I have to work with is the Magnum MST500 Multi-Gym ( http://www.magnumfitness.com/templat...m&sub=&prod=85 ) and a set of dumbbells up to 50lb (with a bench). As I said before, my only workout experience prior to now is Starting Strength, so I do not know any exercises OTHER than ones that involve a barbell, so I'm 100% new to this equipment right now. I read a lot before doing Starting Strength about how machines aren't suited for beginners, so I'm guessing I should be using the dumbbells mostly, but I don't know any exercises.

Is there any way I can put together a decent beginner routine with just the MST500 and the set of dumbbells?

Look harder for a gym. That machine is useless and you are going to progress past 50lb dumbells very quickly.

Wannabebig New Member
    If that's the case, what is the feasibility of putting a squat rack and bench (or power rack or whatever) in an apartment? I'm alone in a 1 bedroom and have a pretty good deal of free floorspace (and can shift things around to make more if need be). What kind of area do you need to put something like that? What kind of consideration do I need to make for the floors/noise (I have to assume doing deadlifts isn't great for your floors)? I live on the 18th floor of a high rise, btw, and the whole apartment (minus the kitchen and bathroom) is carpeted. What kind of total cost (rack, weights, and whatever floor protection) would I be looking at for something like this? I realize it wouldn't be cheap, but the huge convenience of having it right here combined with no membership fees might be worth it for me.