Thread: CrossFit

CrossFit

So the new article got me interested in trying out our local CrossFit gym to see what the atmosphere and workouts are like. I called to get some information on memberships ect and drop in rates and they both seem pretty high if you want to attend on a pretty consistent basis.

Pretty Much comes down to x3 my regular gym membership, which I would need to keep.

What I am wondering is if
    A) if its worth the money?
    B.) is this standard for CrossFit gym's, being significantly more than a regular gym membership?

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

From what I've heard, yes it's standard.

Also depending on your goals, crossfit is either wonderful or horrible. Their goal isn't to make you stronger per se.....it's to make you more well rounded in terms of physical fitness.

There are ten recognized general physical skills. They are cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power,
    coordination, agility, balance, speed, and accuracy. (See “General Physical Skills”, pg. 4, for definitions.) You are as fit as you are competent
    in each of these ten skills. A regimen develops fitness to the extent that it improves each of these ten skills.

seK, check out this thread from crossfit.com: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...affiliate+fees (wfs)

Your question is probably one of the most valid and frequently asked. I CrossFit, but I do it on my own. Cost and schedule are definite factors. I did go to an affiliate for a brief amount of time and loved it. You can't put a price on the competition and camaraderie.

Mike
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Interesting

I am going to give it a try but I am 90% sure its not somethign I am interested in. I am pretty self motivated and most of the moments they incorporate in their workouts I either already do or can complete at my current gym. The competition would be a nice though.

From what I have seen most Crossfit gyms are quite expensive, but that is the case with any specialized training. Each class is essentially a group personal training session and with fewer members they need to charge higher monthly fees in order to cover the general expenses and cost of equipment.

Why do you still need to keep a regular gym membership? Many crossfit gyms have all of the equipment that you would need for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or general athletic training.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    From what I have seen most Crossfit gyms are quite expensive, but that is the case with any specialized training. Each class is essentially a group personal training session and with fewer members they need to charge higher monthly fees in order to cover the general expenses and cost of equipment.

Why do you still need to keep a regular gym membership? Many crossfit gyms have all of the equipment that you would need for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or general athletic training.
    I don't have access to the gym when I am not taking a class, they also do not have all of the equipment I use for my regular workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    I don't have access to the gym when I am not taking a class, they also do not have all of the equipment I use for my regular workouts.
    Do they sell day passes or single sessions?

That may make the most financial sense if you are just looking to come by and perform the WOD once every week or two. If they do not offer day passes perhaps you can work out an arrangement with the owner.

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Do they sell day passes or single sessions?

That may make the most financial sense if you are just looking to come by and perform the WOD once every week or two. If they do not offer day passes perhaps you can work out an arrangement with the owner.
    Yah they do have a drop in fee, thats what I am currently using to try out a couple of classes.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    Yah they do have a drop in fee, thats what I am currently using to try out a couple of classes.
    I would just stick with that; if the gym does not have general hours then you can drop in there for a few workouts and technique work while also performing some of the WOD's at your regular gym.

The only person that can decide whether it's "worth it" or not is you.

How cost compares to other gyms really depends on where you live and what gyms in your area are charging. Around here (midwest), compared to a fitness club (that has a weight facility), it's not really that expensive.

Affiliates can vary greatly in their training structure and the quality of instruction. They might let you try a week to see if it's a good fit for you and your needs - I would ask and see if they'll let you have a free or reduced fee trial period.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Bear in mind that you don't have to go to a crossfit gym to understand and apply the methodology.

In the last few years I have definately bought into the benefits of improving work capacity and being healthier, fitter and more mobile.

I do one crossfit style workout every week as part of my conditioning and it is helping improve my work capacity and helping me stay lean. Sometimes I follow a WOD and other times I just make up a circuit.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The only person that can decide whether it's "worth it" or not is you.

How cost compares to other gyms really depends on where you live and what gyms in your area are charging. Around here (midwest), compared to a fitness club (that has a weight facility), it's not really that expensive.
    Yah my regular gym with full weight area charges me $30/month while the crossfit classes vary from $75/month for 3 classes a week to $90/month for unlimited classes ($15 drop in fee). I realize the crossfit classes are relatively cheap compared to other gyms.

Bear in mind that you don't have to go to a crossfit gym to understand and apply the methodology.

In the last few years I have definately bought into the benefits of improving work capacity and being healthier, fitter and more mobile.

I do one crossfit style workout every week as part of my conditioning and it is helping improve my work capacity and helping me stay lean. Sometimes I follow a WOD and other times I just make up a circuit.

This is hopefully what I can work toward, there are some lifts and movements that are done on crossfit that I am not very experienced with so what I am hoping to do is take a couple of classes to work on form and get the basics of the program and move on and do my own thing. I will however keep an open mind and possibly continue to take the class’s even if it’s just for the competition. I do really like winning.. :P