The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: CrossFit

Hybrid View

CrossFit

So the new article got me interested in trying out our local CrossFit gym to see what the atmosphere and workouts are like. I called to get some information on memberships ect and drop in rates and they both seem pretty high if you want to attend on a pretty consistent basis.

Pretty Much comes down to x3 my regular gym membership, which I would need to keep.

What I am wondering is if
    A) if its worth the money?
    B.) is this standard for CrossFit gym's, being significantly more than a regular gym membership?

Any Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

From what I've heard, yes it's standard.

Also depending on your goals, crossfit is either wonderful or horrible. Their goal isn't to make you stronger per se.....it's to make you more well rounded in terms of physical fitness.

There are ten recognized general physical skills. They are cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power,
    coordination, agility, balance, speed, and accuracy. (See “General Physical Skills”, pg. 4, for definitions.) You are as fit as you are competent
    in each of these ten skills. A regimen develops fitness to the extent that it improves each of these ten skills.

seK, check out this thread from crossfit.com: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...affiliate+fees (wfs)

Your question is probably one of the most valid and frequently asked. I CrossFit, but I do it on my own. Cost and schedule are definite factors. I did go to an affiliate for a brief amount of time and loved it. You can't put a price on the competition and camaraderie.

Mike
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Interesting

I am going to give it a try but I am 90% sure its not somethign I am interested in. I am pretty self motivated and most of the moments they incorporate in their workouts I either already do or can complete at my current gym. The competition would be a nice though.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    From what I have seen most Crossfit gyms are quite expensive, but that is the case with any specialized training. Each class is essentially a group personal training session and with fewer members they need to charge higher monthly fees in order to cover the general expenses and cost of equipment.

Why do you still need to keep a regular gym membership? Many crossfit gyms have all of the equipment that you would need for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or general athletic training.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    From what I have seen most Crossfit gyms are quite expensive, but that is the case with any specialized training. Each class is essentially a group personal training session and with fewer members they need to charge higher monthly fees in order to cover the general expenses and cost of equipment.

Why do you still need to keep a regular gym membership? Many crossfit gyms have all of the equipment that you would need for bodybuilding, powerlifting, or general athletic training.
    I don't have access to the gym when I am not taking a class, they also do not have all of the equipment I use for my regular workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    I don't have access to the gym when I am not taking a class, they also do not have all of the equipment I use for my regular workouts.
    Do they sell day passes or single sessions?

That may make the most financial sense if you are just looking to come by and perform the WOD once every week or two. If they do not offer day passes perhaps you can work out an arrangement with the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Do they sell day passes or single sessions?

That may make the most financial sense if you are just looking to come by and perform the WOD once every week or two. If they do not offer day passes perhaps you can work out an arrangement with the owner.
    Yah they do have a drop in fee, thats what I am currently using to try out a couple of classes.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    Yah they do have a drop in fee, thats what I am currently using to try out a couple of classes.
    I would just stick with that; if the gym does not have general hours then you can drop in there for a few workouts and technique work while also performing some of the WOD's at your regular gym.