The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Katana vs. Super Katana

Can anyone give me some feedback on the differences in a Katana and Super Katana? I've benched a few times in a standard Katana and liked it. However, I see most are wearing a Super Katana. Does anyone have experience in both? Likes, dislikes? Difference in carryover?

Thanks!
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Can anyone give me some feedback on the differences in a Katana and Super Katana? I've benched a few times in a standard Katana and liked it. However, I see most are wearing a Super Katana. Does anyone have experience in both? Likes, dislikes? Difference in carryover?

Thanks!
    I have used both. I get about 10% more from the SK but I have issues getting it set the same each time so my touch point is all over the place. I went back to the regular Katana for USAPL bench nats this year.

The only diff is the collar. The SK has a re-inforced scoop neck that you can really jack down.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I don't remember your body type Adam, but beware the SK if you are long armed, or don't have much
    arch/belly. The big collar on the SK locks up like a mo-fo right at the bottom. I can 1-board LOTS of weight
    that I can never get to touch properly. Also, at some point, the Katana material changed to NXG super+. So,
    if you have a old Katana (say more than 18 months), it might be slightly thinner material (NXG+) vs. the
    current material.
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

Wannabebig Member
    Big difference in carryover IME.

I only got another 10lbs or so out of a regular Kat vs an F6.

In the super im currently getting an extra 30-35 lbs vs an F6 and i dont even jack the collar down much.

Quote Originally Posted by dammstrate View Post
    I don't remember your body type Adam, but beware the SK if you are long armed, or don't have much
    arch/belly. The big collar on the SK locks up like a mo-fo right at the bottom. I can 1-board LOTS of weight
    that I can never get to touch properly. Also, at some point, the Katana material changed to NXG super+. So,
    if you have a old Katana (say more than 18 months), it might be slightly thinner material (NXG+) vs. the
    current material.
    Thanks Greg, that's a good point on the material. I'm not sure how old the ones I've used are. They feel like the new material, but I'm not sure.

I usually don't have issues touching in shirts. I'm 6'1" and 250ish. Arms aren't super long, but I get a pretty decent arch b/c I have a fairly long torso compared to my legs (or at least this is what I'm told).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben F Burgess View Post
    Big difference in carryover IME.

I only got another 10lbs or so out of a regular Kat vs an F6.

In the super im currently getting an extra 30-35 lbs vs an F6 and i dont even jack the collar down much.
    Thanks Ben, good information.

Adam,
    Are you single or multi-ply? I've used the 1-ply SK and IMO its the best single-ply hands down!

However, in the 2-ply alot of guys have trouble touching at my gym. I love the Metal shirts in the 2-ply!
    RC

I am double ply--used both. I have a Super Katana with the neck made out of the F-6 material--Ken A did this for me. It took all the issues out of not touching. I am short armed, and still have trouble touching that last inch. But with the F-6 neck, it made it alot easier to touch, as it has some more stretch to it. I highly recommend going that route. Any questions get with me.

Smitty

I didnt mean neck--I meant the collar of the shirt is the F-6 material. Sorry--been setting up the Pro-Am all day, my mind aint right. lol

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    Adam,
    Are you single or multi-ply? I've used the 1-ply SK and IMO its the best single-ply hands down!

However, in the 2-ply alot of guys have trouble touching at my gym. I love the Metal shirts in the 2-ply!
    RC
    Robchris, I actually compete in both. I've done mostly multiply and wore a Rage-X with all the trimmings. I've done one single-ply meet (USAPL) and wore a single-ply Katana. I bombed in that meet, but it was because of me, not the shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
    I am double ply--used both. I have a Super Katana with the neck made out of the F-6 material--Ken A did this for me. It took all the issues out of not touching. I am short armed, and still have trouble touching that last inch. But with the F-6 neck, it made it alot easier to touch, as it has some more stretch to it. I highly recommend going that route. Any questions get with me.

Smitty
    Chris, thanks for that info. Luckily Ken is local here so I should be able to get exactly what I need.