Thread: Does anyone here use the Pendlay bushing bar?

Does anyone here use the Pendlay bushing bar?

The nexgen bar, that is what I am asking about. On Roguefitness, which is one official outlet for the Pendlay bars, it is described as being fairly stiff, with some flex. On the Pendlay site it is described as having 'moderate whip', but still having stiffness. Therefore, it sounds like it is akin to the B&R bar. However, someone who had to do with the Pendlay bar says that the B&R bar was created to be a powerlift competition bar, and so the Pendlay bar is different.

I saw an Aussie site on youtube that had a short plug/review of this bushing bar.

All of these bars get fine reviews. But none of them are to be found around my neck of the woods.

So if anyone has used these bars I would be interested to hear how you like them. Thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    we have the pendlay bushing bar at my gym.
    this one
    http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/...ympic-bar.html

It's NOT a good bar for powerlifts. the rings are in the wrong place for benching ( set wider for snatch ), their is no centre knurling for squat, and the knurling is too fine for deadlifting.

But for olympic lifts it's good. I'm not an oly lifter, so can't compare to a certified oly br like Eleiko, but it doesn't have as much flex as a texas deadlift bar.

Wannabebig Member
    I like mine alot. As mentioned, the rings are out wider, but this doesn't bother me when I bench. I wrapped a layer of athletic tape where the center knurling would be, and have never had a squat slip at all on my back. The collars rotate great, and I like the knurling, I love the feel of it. Never had the bar slip out of my hands as long as I got chalk. I've been beating the hell out of it for about 20 months now, and no problems yet loading it up into the 5's, it's never seen 600+ though, so I can't comment on how it holds up at those weights. Basically, for the price, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by kittenSmash View Post
    I like mine alot. As mentioned, the rings are out wider, but this doesn't bother me when I bench. I wrapped a layer of athletic tape where the center knurling would be, and have never had a squat slip at all on my back. The collars rotate great, and I like the knurling, I love the feel of it. Never had the bar slip out of my hands as long as I got chalk. I've been beating the hell out of it for about 20 months now, and no problems yet loading it up into the 5's, it's never seen 600+ though, so I can't comment on how it holds up at those weights. Basically, for the price, I love it.
    There is a happy weight lifter. Thanks for the report on how you like the bar. I am getting anxious to get a bar that will accommodate Olympic weights, I have standard bar and plates now. Thanks for noting that you have used over 500 pounds with the bar, and have seen no problem. That is something I was curious about.

Quote Originally Posted by macmad View Post
    we have the pendlay bushing bar at my gym.
    this one
    http://www.kettlebells.com.au/store/...ympic-bar.html

It's NOT a good bar for powerlifts. the rings are in the wrong place for benching ( set wider for snatch ), their is no centre knurling for squat, and the knurling is too fine for deadlifting.

But for olympic lifts it's good. I'm not an oly lifter, so can't compare to a certified oly br like Eleiko, but it doesn't have as much flex as a texas deadlift bar.
    Thanks for the honest reply. Do you have a B&R bar there, and how do you like that? It has centre knurling, and was originally a competitive powerlifting bar, I think.

Wannabebig Member
    I have never used a B&R, but have heard great things about it from buddies. It has markings for both PL and OL, supposed to be good for either. They all love the feeling of the knurling too. I'm pretty sure it's made by York, and from hearing how picky Rippetoe is about bars, I would imagine one with his name on it is quality. I have heard of those bars taking some pretty heavy abuse. It's the next on my list as I get stronger, then I'll retire my Pendlay to just Oly lifting.

Thanks for the reply. I have this hankering for an Olympic bar(I mean one that will work well for the Olympic sort of lifts). I like to clean and press or jerk, no technique here, just doing power cleans, although most of what I do is strength lifts like press, squat, row, etc.

I just wanted to get some feedback from folks who have used these bars, how they really liked them. I know lots of people like the B&R bar, Rogue has so many bars, I can't keep track of them, but the folks who use them seem to like them. I think York makes a lot of those bars, that B&R bar they do.

Pendlay is made in America, so that has attraction for me. If there were some of these bars around here I would like to try them. I called a gym 40 miles away, but the person there didn't know what kind of bars they had.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Pendlay is made in America, so that has attraction for me. If there were some of these bars around here I would like to try them. I called a gym 40 miles away, but the person there didn't know what kind of bars they had.
    York is american too.

Not sure who told you that the B&R bar is made for competitive powerlifting....its far from that. If you are doing mostly squats, deadifts, etc, with some power cleans mixed in on occasion, the B&R bar is prob your best bet

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Thanks for the honest reply. Do you have a B&R bar there, and how do you like that? It has centre knurling, and was originally a competitive powerlifting bar, I think.
    I've never heard of a B&R bar before. We also have Ivanko, Leoko, Texas, Australian barbelll models of powerlifting bars. If I lived in the USA and budget was a concern I'd buy a Texas powerbar for general strength use.

If crossfit was your main thing then i suppose the Pendlay would be a good option.

Personally I spent my own money on an Eleiko powerlifting bar which was worth every cent.

Quote Originally Posted by macmad View Post
    I've never heard of a B&R bar before. We also have Ivanko, Leoko, Texas, Australian barbelll models of powerlifting bars. If I lived in the USA and budget was a concern I'd buy a Texas powerbar for general strength use.

If crossfit was your main thing then i suppose the Pendlay would be a good option.

Personally I spent my own money on an Eleiko powerlifting bar which was worth every cent.
    B&R stands for Burgener and Rippetoe. They placed their approval upon this bushing bar, which is 29mm thick, and is quite a strong bar. It is made by York, from Ohio made steel, which is then brought up to Canada, and manufactured into the B&R bar, which has the old York knurling so far as I can learh.

Such things are not to be seen around here, neither have I heard of any Rogue bars around here, nor Leoko. I asked the folks at Rogue if they shipped any of their goods up here in to the north of Wisconsin, and they did not recall doing that.

So I have asked questions heŽe and theŽe abou† whĺ† do people like for bars.

I elected to get a Rogue bar, one of those 'bare steel' bars, no black coating, nor zinc, no chrome. I read on a crossfit board that the Rogue bar and the Pendlay bushing bar are the same steel bar. Different knurling, different bushings, it sounds like, they are manufactured in different states.

This Rogue bar is supposed to have a little more action(spring) than the B&R bar. But since I have never seen nor held any of these, I have to go by others' reports. This should make for a good all round bar that has strength.

Thanks for your replies. Good to hear how people like products.