The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Weight Lifting programme and diet... some guidance please

Hi, this is my first post.
    For the last few months I've been trying to increase muscle mass mainly in my upper body, but not succeding very well... I would say i'm deffo a hard gainer. I suffered from stress couple of years back and lost 3 stone in 3 months, then gradually put the weight back on. However after I became ill I started working from home and still currently do, this has had a big effect on my metabolism as i'm sitting at my desk pretty much all day. Because my metabolism is very slow I put on weight around my chest and belly VERY easily. So trying to bulk up was worrying for me as I dont want to get FAT. I understand you have to pile on the pounds to bulk, but i'm not interested in becoming a 'body builder' as such just want to increase chest and arms to be honest.

My current stats are;
    height - 6ft
    weight - 83 kilograms (182.983678 pounds)
    arms - 14 inches
    chest - 42 inches
    waist - 37 inches

This is my typical diet:

Morning
    Bowl of fruit 'n' fibre with semi skimmed milk and a banana
    35 grams of Sci-MX ULTRAGEN WHEY PROTEIN

Mid-Morning
    2 poached eggs on wholemeal toast

*** on workout days ***
    35 grams of Sci-MX ULTRAGEN WHEY PROTEIN - before workout
    35 grams of Sci-MX ULTRAGEN WHEY PROTEIN - after workout
    Lunch
    Can of tuna and some salad
    (on rest days - 35 grams of Sci-MX ULTRAGEN WHEY PROTEIN)

Afternoon
    handful of mixed un-salted nuts
    2 slices of cooked chicken breast or a carrot
    (on rest days - 35 grams of Sci-MX ULTRAGEN WHEY PROTEIN)

Early Evening (7pm)
    Chicken Breast, veg and brown rice or chicken stir fry with brown rice

Evening
    Cup of tea and biscuit (yeah yeah i know...)
    35 grams of Sci-MX ULTRAGEN WHEY PROTEIN

My training programme has been that on the Scoobysworkshop website http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/schedintermediate.htm

Have been following this for nearly 4 months (was lifting before then, but not properly as I found out!)

I've definately increased strength and have toned, but i'm not seeing any results in my arms they just dont seem to be growing!!!!!!!!

I have just started taking Sci-MX GRS-5 PROTEIN SYSTEM instead and it does say 2-3 doses maximum a day, as I was on 4 of the previous protein i'm not sure whether to cut back or ignore the message on the tub... Does anyone else take this protein? It does contain more calories, carbs and fat than my previous one... but I dunno what else to try, so many forums say different things, I just hoe someone can give me the answer...

Cheers.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Forgot to mention I also take Sci-MX creatine with breakfast and evening meal

Wannabebig Member
    What does your current workout routine look like?

You seem to be taking a HUGE amount of protein via supplements. Now, if your body is using this, great. However, I think you might benefit by replacing a serving or two with real food. Supplements are great, but they are just that; supplements.

I can say that at 6 foot and 182 lbs, you're not fat, and don't run the risk of getting fat unless you have a caloric surplus and aren't exercising.

You also only really need 5g of creatine per day. Some people like to do a 20g/day load for the first week or 2, but it doesn't make that much of an impact.
    Last edited by wags; 08-20-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    my routine is this one here, as i work from home and have 2 kids getting to the gym isnt an option, so found a nice home workout plan.

www.scoobysworkshop.com/schedintermediate.htm

I find it hard to eat more than that shown above hence the extra shake. But will try.

Do you know much above this protein supplement Sci-MX GRS-5 PROTEIN SYSTEM?
    Im quite new to this and the instructions arent great "2-3 servings a day", I presume morning, after workout and evening???
    This along with some extra food do you think would be enough to see results?

Your current "Scooby" workout isn't very good. It has too many exercises for your upper body and it only has lunges for your lower body. That's not a good balance and your upper body is probably having a hard time recovering from that much volume. I know you don't want to hear it, and you'll probably ignore it, but not working your lower body with exercises like squats and deadlifts will slow down the progress in your upper body. I'd invite you to read more articles and posts on Wanna Be Big. You need a good abbreviated and balanced routine with a focus on increased strength.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I have actually switched programmes to a 2 exercises per muscles group (monday-bicep/tricep, wednesday-chest/back, friday-shoulders/legs), 5 sets of 8 reps. As I did wonder if the 'Scooby' one wasn't good enough. I hear you about legs and will fit squats and deadlifts into my routine.

So cutting back to 3 shakes on workout days and 2 on off days, plus and eat more protein based foods. Is this the way forward to seeing results? Just amazes me nothing has changed much in 3-4 months

Quote Originally Posted by dukeofhazard69 View Post
    Just amazes me nothing has changed much in 3-4 months
    What new personal records in your lifts have you set in the last 3-4 months?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I have actually switched programmes to a 2 exercises per muscles group (monday-bicep/tricep, wednesday-chest/back, friday-shoulders/legs), 5 sets of 8 reps.
    I'd invite you to read the HCT-12 articles found here:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...er-Training-12

This will explain a lot better than I can in a short post.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

So cutting back to 3 shakes on workout days and 2 on off days, plus and eat more protein based foods
    I'm not sure where you live, but At Large Nutrition sells the best quality protein powders anywhere. They have won awards for their quality, taste, and mixablity.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    If you're set on not going to the gym, you might want to check out the recent 'no gym home warrior' (or something like that) article that WBB recently published. However, you really need to either a) buy equipment for your home gym or b) get a gym membership. Personally, I've found that working out at home is great, but it's hard to get motivated and easy to slack off. When I go to the gym, I pound out my lifts and get s**t done.

Wannabebig Member
    Dude if i could get to a gym a would, trust me... but with 2 babies to take care of it's not an option. I have all the equipment pretty much here at home and am very good at motivating myself, mainly cause ive spent years trying to get in shape and now im as determined as ever.

Going back to my original post, my diet and protein supplements (taken on board WAGS advice and stripping a shake out of my daily intake) is this enough to see gains? I dont believe its my routine as I push myself every week to up the weight on each exercise. The only reason why I havent noticed mass must be down to the level of protein im taking in or calories consumed. (I did take on an extra protein shake purely cause its an easy calorie/protien fix, rather than cooking up some chicken)

Wannabebig Member
    You're not seeing gains because a) your routine sucks b) you're not actually doing it 100% or b) you're not eating enough (or a combination).

Are you tracking your calories? How many are you getting per day on average?

Wannabebig Member
    on average i worked out about 2642 - 2800 consumed a day

Wannabebig Member
    That'd be my first guess - you're not eating enough to see any real mass (or strength) gains. It's been said that there are no hard gainer, just undereaters. While this isa generalization, it is true enough in most cases. Try upping your intake by 500 cals, get your routine in order, and come back in 8 weeks and let us know how it goes.

I always thought I was a hardgainer myself. For reference, I started lifting when I was 5'-10" and 160lbs; I'm now at ~188 and leaner than when I started. I didn't see real mass gains till I was consistently eating 3600 cals/day. YMMV of course.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok will do thanks for your help.

Wannabebig Member
    Eat more.