The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

do less calories make you hungry?

i understand the idea or rather science behind calories IN vs calories BURNED in the sense that if you burn more calories than the amount of calories you eat, then you will loose weight.

but my questions is this.
    if i'm burning more calories than i'm taking in, won't i be hungry all the time?????

or maybe i'm miss understanding things
    H - 185cm (6'1") W - 85 kg (188 lbs) Age - 38

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

For them most part you will be hungry (depending on how your diet is constructed) but you can eat "filling" foods that are low in calories.

For example I can eat a huge salad and be stuffed.

Wannabebig Member
    There are supplements that can suppress hunger.

Intermittent fasting such as leangains can keep hunger suppressed too, something to do with ghrelin. I rarely feel hungry during my fasts.

EAT if you wanna get big

Eat way less and more often to lose weight.

But lower calories doesnt that mean less food?
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke1081 View Post
    EAT if you wanna get big

Eat way less and more often to lose weight.

But lower calories doesnt that mean less food?

Not necessarily. If you eat 400 grams of protein that's 1600 calories. But if you eat 400 grams of fat that's 3600 calories. You've eaten the same amount of food in each case but one contains more than double the amount of calories in the first one.

And the number of meals has nothing to do with gaining or losing weight. Calories in and calories out is what it comes down to be it three meals or six.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-19-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    And the number of meals has nothing to do with gaining or losing weight. Calories in and calories out is what it comes down to be it three meals or six.

sure, calories in and calories out is the main point BUT eating smaller and more meals during a day can speed up your metabolism meaning your burning more calories during the day as opposed to eating 3 HUGE meals.
    H - 185cm (6'1") W - 85 kg (188 lbs) Age - 38

^--Source?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
    sure, calories in and calories out is the main point BUT eating smaller and more meals during a day can speed up your metabolism meaning your burning more calories during the day as opposed to eating 3 HUGE meals.
    People are starting to put much less value in the 'eating smaller, more frequent meals' strategy - see this article which touches on it specifically - http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...ttent-fasting/

Yes, fewer calories do make you feel hungry.

When I was dieting, restricting my calories gave me feelings of being hungry and that in turn gave me some serious temptations to just go and nail a chinese buffet lol.

Thats what seperates the lean from the rest - the ability to consistently handle the hunger and resist the temptation to over-eat...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

WRONG.

100% Wrong.

The link Daniel gave is a great example. On Martin's site (www.leangains.com) he has a link to a recent study basically showing your metabolism is not affected at all by the amount of meals you have in a day. There are actually quite a few studies that show this.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

As everyone's echoed, it is wrong to think eating small meals will have any significant impact on your body's metabolism.

This myth is rooted in a little science, part of which stems from the thermic effect of food. The thinking is that since the digestion of food causes an increase in body temperature and energy expenditure, it was believed smaller meals would prompt this mechanism, meaning more total calories burned.

However, the increase in energy expenditure due to the thermic effect of food is relative to total amount of food consumed... so if you eat 1 huge meal as opposed to the same amount of food spread over many hours, the effects/calories are the same that regard.

There is something to said about intermittent fasting and its ability to recomp the body. If you think about structuring your feeding times to spike around training, and fasting to take place around times of low energy expenditure, it makes sense how it would allow for the build up of lean mass, while slightly decreasing fat mass.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

i understand the idea or rather science behind calories IN vs calories BURNED in the sense that if you burn more calories than the amount of calories you eat, then you will loose weight.

but my questions is this.
    if i'm burning more calories than i'm taking in, won't i be hungry all the time?????

or maybe i'm miss understanding things
    I eat 8 times a day and drink tons of ice cold water, I'm almost never hungry or full. When that full feeling goes back to being a treat then things are going great. The rest of the time I get to smell food and enjoy it, not want to throw up because I keep eating until I puke...

Codeguru

Eating more frequent doesn't increase ones metabolism it just balances insulin levels better throughout the day.

Also hunger is a fat burning signal so if you goal is to get lean thats just part of it. If it was easy everyone would be shredded.

I remember Chris telling me that when I was complaining about being hungry. He said you have to feel hungry if you want to lose weight
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Well.... I think its true...

The month i went from 196-162 I didnt eat really at all I felt sick on how hungry i was but hey i lost all my weight!

Now im bulking went from 162-178 in like 2 months with abs! But Im eating like 9 times a day full meals...

HMmmmmm idk maybe its different for everyone gotta see what works for yourself individually....
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

The month i went from 196-162 I didnt eat really at all I felt sick on how hungry i was but hey i lost all my weight!

Now im bulking went from 162-178 in like 2 months with abs! But Im eating like 9 times a day full meals...

HMmmmmm idk maybe its different for everyone gotta see what works for yourself individually....
    Aren't you 16? You may still be growing vertically.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Banned
    spreading your meals helps with hunger too
    Last edited by f=ma; 08-20-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

No. There is absolutely no solid (by solid I mean peer-reviewed, replicated and published in a schoolarly journal) research that shows this to be the case.

There is however actual research which shows that overall it really doesn't matter whether you eat six or three meals. I've posted links about this before...and no not the ones already referred to above. They are easily accesible on Google.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-20-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

However this is not applicable to the discussion at hand. There is no control group eating three meals a day. Plus there are countless other variables such as activity level, amount of calories, accuracy of record keeping....