Thread: making a power rack?

making a power rack?

has anyone here mad a power rack? there are a bunch of metal scrap yards down here that i could go to and get stuff for cheap as hell and then i know a guy that can weld. Ive found a bunch of website where guys made it out of scaffolding equipment and it turned out decent. just wondering if anyone else here as built their own power rack and how they it turned out.

There's a place in town where I live that for work we print out drawings we make in autoCAD and then they fabricate the parts. I was thinking of taking a power rack and drawing it up and getting a bid from them, I imagine it will be cheaper and nicer than buying one but won't be really cheap. The way you are suggesting would probably be fairly cheap and could be pretty decent.

Will that have the holes the right size and spacing? I think drilling those is the most time consuming part plus you need them to all be even.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Will that have the holes the right size and spacing? I think drilling those is the most time consuming part plus you need them to all be even.
    Yep most important part, you would need access to a nice drill press.

Hijacking the thread, I drew up some plans today for a power rack, although I'm debating making some changes before I get a quote from these local guys. I guess I should draw up the jcups and pins to go with it, and bad pegs, not sure what else I would want, has two overhead supports one doubles as a pull up bar.

Hey SEOINAGE, are your drawings something you want to make money off of? If not, I have AutoCAD and would love to see what you did. I was thinking of designing my equipment too.

It depends on if these people can make it cheaply enough to resell, would be kind of cool to sell weight equipment on the side. Honestly though there isn't anything too unique about it, so I could probably share it with you once I know more. Now if I had designed some piece of fancy equipment that was worthy of getting a patent i would care, but this rack is just the basics any power lifter would want in their garage.

I got my rack used off of craigslist for $150 and its been fine for me. I i wonder if its worth the hassle to make your own considering how cheap you can get a used one for if you keep your eyes open. Mind you, if you made your own you could add some cool features.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I got my rack used off of craigslist for $150 and its been fine for me. I i wonder if its worth the hassle to make your own considering how cheap you can get a used one for if you keep your eyes open. Mind you, if you made your own you could add some cool features.
    Its sometimes hard to find one that has the sumo bottom, cross members raised off the floor. Decent hole spacing is hard to find too. I'm sure you could drill new holes in a used rack though, and add band pegs and things easily.