Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest visual impact

Biggest visual impact

Just because it's a little slow in here right now...

What muscle group do you think makes the biggest visual impact (clothed or unclothed)?

I'm going with shoulders. You just can't hide a big set of shoulders. It can make the whole body look broader and really sends a message of power. Men used to wear suits with shoulder pads to get that look. Without a doubt, shoulders.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Just because it's a little slow in here right now...

What muscle group do you think makes the biggest visual impact (clothed or unclothed)?

I'm going with shoulders. You just can't hide a big set of shoulders. It can make the whole body look broader and really sends a message of power. Men used to wear suits with shoulder pads to get that look. Without a doubt, shoulders.
    Shoulders are good, the guy that has them is impossible to miss in a crowd.

How about a thick back? A lot of casual lifters seem to completely ignore their backs, so a really thick back stands out when you see it.

This isn't really related to weight lifting or anything but by far, I always seem to be noticing guys' forearms ~ not that they're a big muscle group or anything, it's just that it's easy to compare them when you're shaking hands, etc. Charlie Strong (Louisville Head Football Coach) ~ always comes to mind when I think about big forearms.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

House Lannister
    Hmm.. Shoulders probably for clothed. That and traps/chest. I think a big chest is very noticeable in a t-shirt and has a great visual impact.

In a swimsuit, I'd probably go with calves.

A big thick v shaped back i always thought stands out realy well, that and a monster pair of traps and people are going to notice you.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Wannabebig Member
    Probably a good size neck.

Banned
    Shoulders and back for sure

I think the back ranks right up there with shoulders, I was torn between the two.

Odd observation I've had...I've been watching fake wrestling since I was a small lad and Pat Patterson was all the rage, that makes me old. But it's interesting to see the builds of the wrestlers. For instance, last night I watched The Mis wrestle John Cena. From the front, they both have impressive builds; the shoulders, chest, and arms are all very well developed. But, John Cena is a much more impressive looking guy. Why? His back!!! From the rear, The Mis looks kind of normal, while Cena has a massive back. And that makes him appear to be the much larger guy. Okay, I'm done.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It depends on the clothing but I would say either shoulders or arms are probably the most noticeable bodyparts. In a t-shirt large/vascular arms (biceps/triceps/forearms) seem to jump out, but in other clothing such as thermals or even shirtless then shoulders can have the most impact.

Unfortunately it seems that big legs only make it hard to find pants that fit...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Unfortunately it seems that big legs only make it hard to find pants that fit...
    Too funny
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I'd have to go with forearms or shoulders. I'd be more inclined to go with shoulders because since I've started working out my shoulders have made a huge improvement, and I've had a few people that know I work out say "You're still working out right? Your shoulders/arms are getting big" Of course I can't see the difference but if other people do then those areas must be a pretty big visual impact.

Garage Lifter
    Yoke, hands down. Doesn't matter what you're wearing.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Definitely shoulders. One of my wife's friends complimented how I looked the other day and the part she specifically singled out was my shoulders

Personally though I enjoy the transformation of my thighs. Seeing them change from ill-defined thighs to defined muscle groups is rewarding for me, although they don't get much exposure in the work/social environment.

While I still think that a strong back and broad shoulders have the biggest impact on the casual observer, I tend to look eslewhere. There are certain muscle groups that just scream raw power, and when you see them you know you are looking at somebody that handles big weights. Those are the forearms and calves. Think Bill Kazmier...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    True, but there's an almost indefinable look about people with big legs and a thick trunk. A look of power that comes from having a big base. It's not immediately noticeable like the arms, but oly lifters, football players, power athletes, throwing athletes and the like just have an overall effect that screams power, and I'm betting that comes from unconsciously noticing how they hold themselves. Maybe that comes from having strong legs and a thick, strong trunk instead of a narrow waist?

Gonna say that to turn Joe Bloggs head it has to be Shoulders, with them seems to make all of you look bigger.

However as someone who works out i would have to say it would be thighs that make me realise someone is massive. A lot of people have a big upper body but unless they be squattin....
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

I would say arms, including shoulders (sleeveless t-shirt weather). Forearms specifically with sleeved t-shirt or polo. Neck when wearing a suit. My favorite is a broad back though. I worked in a factory for a while, and through hours of repetitive reaching motions I built a thick back that won't go away. I love it.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Abs.

As the center of your body a well developed six pack draws draws most everyone's eyes. And it's the one thing that doesn't look out of place on BOTH on a man and a woman's body even to Joe Public.

Remember the original question did not specify gender...
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-25-2010 at 11:26 PM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Clothed arms. Not clothed chest.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Clothed - shoulders and back (People see you walk and either are in awe or are afraid)
    Un-clothed - chest and abs (The ladies want to lick you, and the guys want to be you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    Clothed - shoulders and back (People see you walk and either are in awe or are afraid)
    Un-clothed - chest and abs (The ladies want to lick you, and the guys want to be you.)
    haha well put my friend i'd agree with that
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

Banned
    unless you have shoulders and you are lean.. then you get the best of both worlds

It depends on the clothing but I would say either shoulders or arms are probably the most noticeable bodyparts. In a t-shirt large/vascular arms (biceps/triceps/forearms) seem to jump out, but in other clothing such as thermals or even shirtless then shoulders can have the most impact.

Thats my problem!! My squat flew up and i went to go out and tried on a pair of jeans i only wear on good nights and man my waist was loose and my ass and legs were STRETCHING them!
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Yoke, hands down. Doesn't matter what you're wearing.
    yep, nothing says power like a thick yoke.

Great Thread Offroad!

I'm wanting to up the stakes though. Let's talk real people.

B. H. Obama: This guy needs access to the WBB site, and 6 weeks of 20 rep squats in the worst way.... My nickname for him is: "The slim shouldered, no yoke, head way too big for his body President."

The funny part is that the press seems to think that the President is actually physically fit......

Now this guy, on the other hand, screams chest and shoulders.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iplan; 08-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Arms without a doubt tho....
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!