Thread: Rack Pulls

Rack Pulls in HCT?

I tried them today however the lowest setting in the powercage left the bar right at my knee cap (not below like it says to from everywhere I read.) I still tried them and boy my back felt them but is it pointless to continue doing these since the bar cannot be placed lower then knee caps?

Or should i just stand on something to make me tall enough to where the bar is just below my knee caps? I ask this because I want to make sure I'm not losing any power through the heels when I'm standing on something something other then solid ground.

Also, can I substitute rack pulls for lat pull downs?
    Last edited by HomelessTrainer; 08-26-2010 at 10:53 PM.

If you felt the exercise it's not pointless, it might be pointless in terms of improving your deadlift lockout but in terms of tension on the target muscle which is what we're after, then mission accomplished. Somewhere very close to the knee (either above or below) is fine. The lower the bar the harder it'll be, so if you want to put a few plates, a reebok step whatever to raise yourself then go for it.

Also, can I substitute rack pulls for lat pull downs?
    You mean rack pulls and not rack chins? Well the lat pull downs (or even pull-ups/chin-ups) are a vertical pulling movement, traditionally thought of as a 'back width' exercise, whereas the rack pull/deadlift etc (in terms of back work) and rowing movements are 'back thickness'.

If you're intention is to use a rack pull on back day I'd swap out one of the horizontal pulling not vertical pulling movements and be aware of the potential for a fatigued lower back and how it may affect your lower body work.