The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Help with workout routine.

Currently I don't have any time btw, school and work is kicking my ass. Hi I am Arvin, btw. I am new here. I have a few questions about my work out. I am 5'9 at 157lbs, my goal is to build muscle, I have been lifting on and off for about three years and never seem to get anywhere except for minor muscle growth. I think it's because I don't keep with it. I don't have that much time. I want to see if you guys can help me improve on it. I also need a place to add Abs. And tell me if I have any adjustments to make to this routine. THanks.

Monday - Chest and Triceps and Delts/Traps
    INCL Barbell Bench- 105lbs 3 x 5
    DECL Barbell Bench- 135lbs 3 x 5
    FLAT Bench - 135lbs 3 x 5

Pull Down Triceps EXT - 30lbs 3 x 10-12
    TATE - 30lbs 3 x 5 JMs- 30 3 x 5 (Alternating)
    Close Grip Bench Press - 60lbs 3 x 10

Shoulder Shrugs - 100lbs 3 x 10
    Military Press - 50lbs 3 x 5
    Upright Rows - 50lbs 3 x 5

Wednesday - Back/Biceps Posterior Delts.

Dumbbell Rows - (30lbs x 2) 3 x 8
    Lat Rows (Pulley) - 115lbs 3 x 8
    Lat Rows(Plated Lever) - 90lbs 3 x 8

Double-Arm Single DB Preacher Curls - 50lbs 3 x 8
    Toweled One Arm Bicep Curls - 15lbs 3 x 8
    Toweled Barbell BCs - 50lbs 3 x 8

Saturdays - Legs/Back

Dead lifts - 135lbs 3 x 5
    Squats - 135lbs 3 x 5
    Dumbbell Lunges - 30lbs x 2 3 x 5
    Machine Leg Press - 135lbs 3 x 5

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Stick with a premade program designed for beginning lifters like Starting Strength or Hardgainer. Making up your own routine is folly.

If it hasn't worked for the last three years, I doubt it will suddenly work this time. It might be time to try something different. Give abreviated strength training a try.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Don't be afraid to lift more than 135 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If it hasn't worked for the last three years, I doubt it will suddenly work this time. .
    This is the key point. Because the program is irrelevant if you don't keep it up over the long term. So, figure this out first and worry about the details of the routine later.

When I was younger I tried to get into training many times but never was able to stick with it. I'd go for a while. Get hot and heavy and burn out quick. Or, I'd go for a couple weeks and just stop. This time around I've been training consistently without any significant breaks for about 18 months. Why did it work this time?

When I started training this time I didn't go in with a routine, or to try to get massive guns, etc. In fact my only goal for the first month was to show up every day that I was supposed to. Even if I didn't do much. As long as I showed up it was a success. Then once going to the gym was a habit I began adding in some consistent work. The stuff I was doing 18 months ago was laughable, embarrassing even. But, I built the habit. And because I wasn't breaking my back I didn't burn out. It's fine to want to train "hardcore" but you need a base of fitness and recovery to do that. If you try to go "hardcore" when you are an out of the box newbie I guarantee you won't make it eight weeks.

Over time I sought out training partners. Having a training partner makes it alot harder to bail out. But, get a partner who is consistent. Otherwise, they'll just drag you down with them. After a while, my training partner did eventually bail on me. So, I found someone who wouldn't bail on me.....a group. Think about it. A single person can flake out on you, or get sick, injured, etc. But, if you train in a group you can guarantee that someone will be there. Even if you don't train with the group three or four days per week you can still get the benefit. I usually train with my group once, maybe twice per week. But, because I know that I need to keep up with the group I consistently hit all my sessions.

Figure this out. Then the routine will follow. But, the best routine will fail if you don't show up to do it.
    Last edited by chaddukes; 08-26-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Also, doing less (not more) will help you to stay consistant. It is much easier to drag yourself to the gym to do Squats and Presses than it is to get geared up to do a whole laundry list of exercises. Much easier to track successes too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

In response to "not having time" sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. You do have time, you just choose to do other things with it. Instead of watching TV, go work out. Instead of going out Friday night, go work out. Instead of sleeping in on Saturday morning, wake up and go work out. Everyone is busy, some people just decide to make sacrifices to exercise and some people don't.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Not going to have any success until you commit.

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If it hasn't worked for the last three years, I doubt it will suddenly work this time. It might be time to try something different. Give abreviated strength training a try.
    This routine is relatively new. At the end of highschool I was 130lbs I tried rippetoe and some basic stuff back in the day. Thanks ppl.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chan4059 View Post
    This routine is relatively new. At the end of highschool I was 130lbs I tried rippetoe and some basic stuff back in the day. Thanks ppl.
    Rippetoe's SS is exactly what you need. Should have stuck with it.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    In response to "not having time" sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. You do have time, you just choose to do other things with it. Instead of watching TV, go work out. Instead of going out Friday night, go work out. Instead of sleeping in on Saturday morning, wake up and go work out. Everyone is busy, some people just decide to make sacrifices to exercise and some people don't.
    QFT

fadsfaddddd

Quote Originally Posted by chan4059 View Post
    I'm not sure why this would matter. How does a routine being new having anything to do with your ability to stick with something consistently?