The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - Tennis ball for tight muscles

by Riley Bestwick

What if I said you could get rid of aches and pains, smooth out sore muscles, and unlock muscle fibers to grow bigger and stronger all for less than a dollar?

I know what you're thinking: "Just how ugly is this masseuse?" Relax, Chief. I'm talking about using a tennis ball for soft-tissue work.

Imagine a muscle as a rubber band. Now tie a knot in it and pull it tight. You have dozens of these little knots (called "trigger points") all throughout your body and they're negatively affecting the way move and feel.

Imagine a muscle as a rubber band

Trigger points exist when the muscle fibers can't release from an active, contracted state. They can be very painful, or you may not even know you have them (until you touch them, that is).

The best way to become pain-free is to get rid of the knots and "release" the muscle by using a foam roller or tennis ball and then stretching the muscle to reestablish length.

We spend most of our day on our feet and ass so I thought it best to address the lower leg and the glutes since they'll need the most work. (Note: this is going to hurt a bit, but you'll thank me later when you're pain free.)

Peroneals

The peroneal muscles are located on the outside of the lower leg and run all the way down the fibula. Sit on the floor and place the tennis ball on the outside of your lower leg and roll on top of it. Make sure to go slow and put slightly more pressure on the tender spots. Spend one minute on each leg.

The Personeal Roll

Follow with a calf stretch and hold for 45 seconds on each side.

Calf Stretch

Piriformis

Take the ball and sit on one of your butt cheeks with a slight tilt. You'll know as soon you as hit a sore spot because it'll hurt like hell. Cross one leg over the other and apply some pressure working your way through any sore spots. Spend a minute or two on each butt cheek.

Piriformis Roll

Piriformis Roll 2

Follow with a piriformis stretch and hold for 45 seconds on each side.

Piriformis Stretch

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - August 27th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Interesting I haven't been doing foam rolling exercises because i don't have them so this should help. I'm just wondering tho when would be the best time to do this, before or after workout, or would i do it on my off days?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
    Interesting I haven't been doing foam rolling exercises because i don't have them so this should help. I'm just wondering tho when would be the best time to do this, before or after workout, or would i do it on my off days?
    you can do it everyday if you'd like. I find it to be most pleasant (not the right word) doing it after a training session. It's also a nice way to loosen up if you've been sitting all day long.
    Last edited by JCD; 08-27-2010 at 08:15 AM.

I like to stretch and rub out tension in my muscles between sets. I'll probably put a tennis ball in my gym bag to use during my workouts. I also use one on my back when I'm driving and when I'm sitting at my desk at work.

Quote Originally Posted by lawndarts View Post
    I also use one on my back when I'm driving and when I'm sitting at my desk at work.
    lol awesome

I use a softball. It works great. Excellent article.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo