Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I did Off Road's 20-rep squat last night...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Many of us have spent a lot of time convincing new(ish) lifters that squatting is not dangerous, then they read crap like this and suddenly they feel vindicated.
    As have I...again, I am a huge believer in squats. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. And I really don't see how what I am saying is "crap" if Mark Rippetoe himself does not recommend it for beginners. It is pretty damn clear that I wasn't arguing against squats as an exercise.

We can just agree to disagree. Every guy will have to make up his own mind. You will find just as many "Gurus" that recomend 20 reppers as you will those who dissaprove. I guess as long as guys are squatting, I'm happy
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    We can just agree to disagree. Every guy will have to make up his own mind. You will find just as many "Gurus" that recomend 20 reppers as you will those who dissaprove. I guess as long as guys are squatting, I'm happy
    Agreed lol.

Wannabebig Member
    I've done 20 rep squats a couple times in the past and the thing I remember is that it feels like my lower back is getting worked more than my legs. By the end of the workout my lowerback is so pumped up and can hardly stand up, but my legs usually don't feel like they've gotten worked that much.

Anyone else notice this?

I guess it depends on your technique and form. My quads, hams, low back, and shoulders are ALL fried at the end.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Can I ask a question kind of off topic?
    How do you ramp up, or warm up to a 20 rep set?

Quote Originally Posted by Dallen Hall View Post
    Can I ask a question kind of off topic?
    How do you ramp up, or warm up to a 20 rep set?

My favorite way is sets of five. Build up to a heavy-ish set of five (nowhere near failure), then drop the weight for your 20 rep set.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    My favorite way is sets of five. Build up to a heavy-ish set of five (nowhere near failure), then drop the weight for your 20 rep set.
    Sounds good, Thanks Off Road.
    Never really sure how to do this as I have always read to warm up with the same number of reps that your working set(s) were going to be, but I knew that couldnt be right.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallen Hall View Post
    Sounds good, Thanks Off Road.
    Never really sure how to do this as I have always read to warm up with the same number of reps that your working set(s) were going to be, but I knew that couldnt be right.
    Don't burn yourself out by warming up too much though....Remember a 20 rep squat set is not really meant to be 20RM set. Its really a 10-15RM set where the last 5 reps or so are absolutely BRUTAL in which you have to fight to get. Its truly a mentally taxing effort. When I used to do them, I would literally have to sit in the squat rack for 15 minutes before I could leave the gym.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by punkguitarist View Post
    I've done 20 rep squats a couple times in the past and the thing I remember is that it feels like my lower back is getting worked more than my legs. By the end of the workout my lowerback is so pumped up and can hardly stand up, but my legs usually don't feel like they've gotten worked that much.

Anyone else notice this?
    Yes.

My lower back is the first thing to give out on them. Eventually things will even out.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

So, you are holding your breath for 5 reps?
    The first five, yes.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

It is interesting to see everybody's take on the breathing. As I see it, there are two ways to do the breathing; one makes it easier and one makes it harder.

My typical breathing protocol makes the 20 rep set easier to get through. Repping out the first five reps, then only increasing the breaths to recover as the set progresses, speeds up the lift. You won't be holding the bar as long and it makes the exercise easier.

True "breathing squats" make the exercise even harder. In a true breathing squat you are required to take exactly three lung-filling breaths between every rep. This prolongs the set and fatigue plays an even greater role.

It's not uncommon to have a 30 to 50 lb difference between "huff and puff" squats and "breathing squats".
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punkguitarist View Post

Anyone else notice this?
    There are a lot of competing stresses when doing a 20 rep set. Near the end the discomfort can be very distracting, and it seems difficult to simply ignore.

Another thing to note is that the goal of 20 reps sometimes gets in the way of actually just doing a set to the best of your ability. Get someone else to count for you, that way you don't have to think about what rep you're on. So you stood up on rep 20, ok then why not go for another?

It seems no matter how hard I try that the body finds a strategy to finish the set. With compounds fatigue always sets in at different rates. Something Is going to give eventually, whether it's a set of 5 or a set of 30, it's that crucial form deviation that holds us back. You enforce the idea that it's acceptable to let the weight dictate how your body will move.

One way around the problem of your lower back going is to do a few sets of front squats before the back squat, maybe do some GHR's or SLDL's to strengthen the posterior chain.