The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A different 20 rep squat

There is a different way to do 20 rep squats that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. That is the rest/pause squat. Basically, you take your 10RM squat weight and complete your 10 reps, rack the bar, take a bunch of lung-filling breaths to recover a little (not too much), then shoulder the weight again and do as many reps as you can. Repeat this process until you've completed all 20 reps. This allows you to use a higher percentage of your 1RM for the exercise.

I've even seen guys use 20 heavy singles before, that would be brutal for sure.

Has anybody tried these?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    There is a different way to do 20 rep squats that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. That is the rest/pause squat. Basically, you take your 10RM squat weight and complete your 10 reps, rack the bar, take a bunch of lung-filling breaths to recover a little (not too much), then shoulder the weight again and do as many reps as you can. Repeat this process until you've completed all 20 reps. This allows you to use a higher percentage of your 1RM for the exercise.

I've even seen guys use 20 heavy singles before, that would be brutal for sure.

Has anybody tried these?
    That sounds like a really good idea actually.

Wannabebig Member
    If I used my 10 rep max then I would already be rest-pausing reps 5-10, unless you mean a 10 rep max that's a straight set, which would take even less time and have the effect of increasing work density.

Another thing to note is that the squat is more of an anaerobic exercise nearer to maximum weights than it is with cardio squatting. I find the breathing to be less of an issue. I suppose with a 20 rep squat the body tries to find extra fuel once the ATP stores are depleted.

It's hard deciding whether to get more rest and use extra weight for more total reps or less total reps but using only small rests to increase the intensity. Either way it's probably good to get conditioned to both.