The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

I have an odd routine, and I could use some suggestions

After a 1+ year hiatus I am back at the gym.

My primary goal is to gain strength, but (for the first time in my life) I also want to burn some fat.

About 11 years ago I was just starting to hit the weights, and I was very open to getting advice from some of the more jacked dudes in the gym.

One guy told me something that seemed to make sense, and I've been following his philosophy ever since. He said the key to putting on muscle was to increase either weight or reps with every set.

Since I have a strange fixation with multiples of 5, I try to do either 20, 25 or 30 total reps in 3 sets. That comes out to 5,7,8 or 7,8,10 or 8,10,12. As soon as I am able to eek out that last 12th rep at a given weight, I increase the weight for my next work out and start a 5,7,8 or 7,8,10.

Isn't that strange?

In terms of what exercises I do: I try to hit every muscle group at least twice a week. I start with compound exercises in the beginning, and then I try to isolate.

Since I cannot trust myself to be at the gym on the weekends, or always make it three times during the week, that means doing push exercises, pull exercises, and legs on the same day. My routine goes something like this:

Bench Press: (155lbs) 3 sets @ 7,8,10 reps
    Assisted Pull Ups: (Body weight - 20lbs) 3 sets @ 7,8,10
    Deep Squats: (155lbs) 3 sets @ 7,8,10

Incline Press (machine): (120lbs) 3 sets @ 8,10,12
    Dumbbell Curls: (30lbs/arm) 3 sets @ 8,10,12
    Leg Extensions (machine): (145lbs) 3 sets @ 8,10,12

Dips: (Body weight) 3 sets @ 7,8,10
    Curls (machine): (70 lbs) 3 sets @ 7,8,10
    One Footed Toe Stands: (Body weight) 3 sets @ 10,12,13

(with any remaining time I'll usually do declined sit ups, fore arm curls, and/or some back work outs)

I always try to do a alow full range of motion, which means all my squats are deep, and the bar hits my chest when I bench.

I don't do any cardio, since I'm more concerned with gaining strength than burning fat right now. I am actually adding strength pretty quickly with this routine, despite only going twice per week on average.

When I match my peak from last year (reps @ 185 lbs on bench), if I still have a slight spare tire I will start doing much more cardio.

I also take creatine.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Isn't this same-weight-ascending-reps workout odd? What is the most important exercise I am not doing?

I'm open to suggestions and appreciate your anticipated responses.

FG
    Last edited by FuriousGeorge; 08-08-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling, etc
    6'0" 160lbs
    ROUTINE:
    3X week (really average 2.5)

Bench: 170 lbs @ ~8*3
    Full Squat: 155*10*3
    Pull-Ups: BodyMass*10*3
    ...then, 3-5 less compound exercises targeting same muscle groups in similar order...
    ...then isolate a few of favorite muscles

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

At the minimum, I would cut out one of the curling exercises and replace it with a hip/glute/ham exercise like a deadlift variation.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    At the minimum, I would cut out one of the curling exercises and replace it with a hip/glute/ham exercise like a deadlift variation.
    Thanks, I will drop my 3rd set of curl exercises for something else as per your recommendations!
    6'0" 160lbs
    ROUTINE:

...then, 3-5 less compound exercises targeting same muscle groups in similar order...

Wannabebig Member
    Just wanted to report back and say that dropping the 3rd set of curls for some deadlifts was some great advice.

The compound exercises I do now include bench presses, deep squats, chin ups, and Romanian deadlifts.

I always thought that deadlifts and squat were primarily quadriceps exercises, so I never really did the former. Boy was I wrong. The next day after deadlifting I had some serious DOMS in my hammies, as well as in my upper and lower back.

Any exercise that can make that many muscle groups sore is obviously the $h!+.

Thanks!
    Last edited by FuriousGeorge; 08-27-2010 at 02:18 AM.
    6'0" 160lbs
    ROUTINE:

Ditch the machine curls for sure.

yup, that's true. any exercise is great
    lol

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    Ditch the machine curls for sure.

lol
    No more machine curls for me.

I'm thinking of having an iso day once a week just to mix it up, and in that case I might use some machines, but in general I'm all about the free weights.
    6'0" 160lbs
    ROUTINE:

Shaunton
    I am fairly unsure, but I think the spaces between each multiple of 3 = 1 day of exercise. If so, I think you are mixing muscle groups.

My main recommendation to you would be to consider having a tricepts/chest day; a bicept/back day; and a legs and maybe abs day. I have experimented with alot of different programs and I find doing it this way works best for me.

If you can, obviously try to get another day in to make a multiple grouped day to get the 2nd lot of the same group per week, but if not, like I said above.

The main advantage of doing it this way is that the 'pull' muscles get tired with DOMS etc, but then you dont have to use them till either next week, or end of week. Therefore you grow to use them more. This leads to strength increases in my experience, as opposed to the way you currently are doing it.

If weight loss is a big goal, an hour session a week or so to do some aerobic type weights with high reps could do wonders for your legs and core ie some DB lunges etc.