Thread: Thoughts on this "power/hypertrophy" pull/push split?

Into the night.

Thoughts on this "power/hypertrophy" pull/push split?

Thinking about a routine something like this.

M/W/F split
    M Dead/Pulling
    W Bench/Pressing
    F Squat/Legs

Each day essentially 4-5 power compound movements at 5x5.
    M Dead/Power Cleans/BB Rows/BB Shrugs/etc.
    W Flat BB Bench/Incline BB Bench/BB Military Press/etc.
    F Back Squat/Front Squat/Hack Squat/etc.

Followed (in the same workout) by 4-6 "hypertrophy" exercises 3x12 or so at a higher tempo.
    Cable/DB stuff in the same exercise veins as the power compounds.

After 4-5 weeks, deload, then start up again and change some of the exercises up a bit while staying within the template.

What do you guys think? Scrap it in favor of something already established? Too much volume? It's only 3 days and the rest is either rest/cardio so I think it may be doable. If I start cutting/feel like I'm overtraining I'll likely just cut some of the "hypertrophy" work to decrease volume. It IS a long workout each day, probably close to 2-2.5 hours by the time I'm showered and home the gym, but I like being in the gym when I get there, and I like walking out with nothing left in the tank. Thoughts?

That is a ton of volume that you are suggesting and more than likely is going to run you into the ground.

Your basic idea is fine but stick to 1 or 2 power movements and 1 or 2 accessory lifts that focus on your weak points.

Sometimes less is more.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    That is a ton of volume that you are suggesting and more than likely is going to run you into the ground.

Your basic idea is fine but stick to 1 or 2 power movements and 1 or 2 accessory lifts that focus on your weak points.

Sometimes less is more.
    Hmm, maybe I'll drop the "power" portion down to 2 exercises and then just rotate the second exercise each weak. IE Dead/BB Rows, then Dead/Cleans, then Dead/Shrugs, etc. Thank for the suggestion, more to think about.

The volume is too high perhaps but the split is good.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

House Lannister
    Look up layne norton's power/hypertrophy split or Wbb's Baby Got Back or wbb's beginner bodybuilding routine for similar routines that are solid.

I do think that a routine like yours is going to work ONLY if you have very good rest and diet and little stress in life. Otherwise, I dont think it will be the best approach. Just my opinion

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Look up layne norton's power/hypertrophy split or Wbb's Baby Got Back or wbb's beginner bodybuilding routine for similar routines that are solid.

I do think that a routine like yours is going to work ONLY if you have very good rest and diet and little stress in life. Otherwise, I dont think it will be the best approach. Just my opinion
    It was actually Layne Norton's routine that got me thinking about this. I did like his routine, but honestly, that volume scared me - and I don't really have 5 days to dedicate to the gym per week. I've got plenty of time for rest (I do an average of 8-9 hours a night with the occasional 4 hour late night), and am ironing out the diet now (back to counting macros). I'd say I'm a fairly mellow/stressless fellow, but I am a medical school student so we'll see. :P Thanks again for the advice guys, I think I'll cut the volume a bit and give this split a shot for at least a month or two.

WBB delivers as usual.

Into the night.
    .. double post ..
    Last edited by TheVrolok; 08-31-2010 at 10:10 PM.