The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Into the night.

Thoughts on this "power/hypertrophy" pull/push split?

Thinking about a routine something like this.

M/W/F split
    M Dead/Pulling
    W Bench/Pressing
    F Squat/Legs

Each day essentially 4-5 power compound movements at 5x5.
    M Dead/Power Cleans/BB Rows/BB Shrugs/etc.
    W Flat BB Bench/Incline BB Bench/BB Military Press/etc.
    F Back Squat/Front Squat/Hack Squat/etc.

Followed (in the same workout) by 4-6 "hypertrophy" exercises 3x12 or so at a higher tempo.
    Cable/DB stuff in the same exercise veins as the power compounds.

After 4-5 weeks, deload, then start up again and change some of the exercises up a bit while staying within the template.

What do you guys think? Scrap it in favor of something already established? Too much volume? It's only 3 days and the rest is either rest/cardio so I think it may be doable. If I start cutting/feel like I'm overtraining I'll likely just cut some of the "hypertrophy" work to decrease volume. It IS a long workout each day, probably close to 2-2.5 hours by the time I'm showered and home the gym, but I like being in the gym when I get there, and I like walking out with nothing left in the tank. Thoughts?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That is a ton of volume that you are suggesting and more than likely is going to run you into the ground.

Your basic idea is fine but stick to 1 or 2 power movements and 1 or 2 accessory lifts that focus on your weak points.

Sometimes less is more.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by View 1 View Post
    That is a ton of volume that you are suggesting and more than likely is going to run you into the ground.

Your basic idea is fine but stick to 1 or 2 power movements and 1 or 2 accessory lifts that focus on your weak points.

Sometimes less is more.
    Hmm, maybe I'll drop the "power" portion down to 2 exercises and then just rotate the second exercise each weak. IE Dead/BB Rows, then Dead/Cleans, then Dead/Shrugs, etc. Thank for the suggestion, more to think about.

The volume is too high perhaps but the split is good.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

House Lannister
    Look up layne norton's power/hypertrophy split or Wbb's Baby Got Back or wbb's beginner bodybuilding routine for similar routines that are solid.

I do think that a routine like yours is going to work ONLY if you have very good rest and diet and little stress in life. Otherwise, I dont think it will be the best approach. Just my opinion

Into the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Look up layne norton's power/hypertrophy split or Wbb's Baby Got Back or wbb's beginner bodybuilding routine for similar routines that are solid.

I do think that a routine like yours is going to work ONLY if you have very good rest and diet and little stress in life. Otherwise, I dont think it will be the best approach. Just my opinion
    It was actually Layne Norton's routine that got me thinking about this. I did like his routine, but honestly, that volume scared me - and I don't really have 5 days to dedicate to the gym per week. I've got plenty of time for rest (I do an average of 8-9 hours a night with the occasional 4 hour late night), and am ironing out the diet now (back to counting macros). I'd say I'm a fairly mellow/stressless fellow, but I am a medical school student so we'll see. :P Thanks again for the advice guys, I think I'll cut the volume a bit and give this split a shot for at least a month or two.

WBB delivers as usual.

Into the night.
    .. double post ..
    Last edited by TheVrolok; 08-31-2010 at 10:10 PM.