Thread: Increasing Muscle Size While Staying Lean?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Increasing Muscle Size While Staying Lean?

How does someone between 8-10% bf still make gains in size if they're at maintenance calories? Dont you have to eat more than you burn to increase muscle mass? Im not in this boat yet but after ny show in June i dont wanna go over 10% bf again. And someone correct me if im wrong but,,,,dont you have to make strength increases to see a size?

Lean gains are possible.

Check out Martin's site: http://www.leangains.com

Pretty high quality information over there.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I'm currently working with Shelby to do this. At the end of the day you just have to be VERY detailed and consistent with your diet to manage the weight/strength gains in a measured and patient way.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    How does someone between 8-10% bf still make gains in size if they're at maintenance calories? Dont you have to eat more than you burn to increase muscle mass? Im not in this boat yet but after ny show in June i dont wanna go over 10% bf again. And someone correct me if im wrong but,,,,dont you have to make strength increases to see a size?
    Being at maintenance calories and making gains is a slow process and you really have to pay attention to diet. This is why I like the cycle diet for those looking to stay lean while trying to add size. You keep your body in a fat burning mode by eating sub-maintenance and the spike days are used to increase leptin and upregulate testosterone, thyroid, etc...

Overtime strength will increase when training for size but that is not the main emphasis when training to induce hypertrophy.

I am having good results with this method...

I try to fast 16 for hours, feed for 8 hours. However, I dont get hung up on the exact timing. An hour +/- is not going to make a big difference and is a wash in the long term.

On my training days I eat heavy and high in protein. I don't worry about carbs/fat, I just focus on eating til I am full, staying full and making sure I am getting at least 1g/lb of protein to body weight. This is MWF.

On my non-training days I eat lighter, trying to not stuff myself and to keep a slight feeling of hunger most the day. I try to minimize carbs by simplying picking low carb food choices, but not freaking out if I have something slightly starchy. I'll do some light cardio, such as rowing or walking fasted, but nothing that makes me gassed or sore. This is generally T/TH.

On the weekend I try to eat moderately, not worrying so much about my intake, but keeping an eye out as to make sure I don't gorge.

Summary: Always eat high in protein, cycle your calories and carbs based on the training/nontraining day. Check the scale once a week. Use the mirror to gauge progress. Try to make small, progressive strength gains. Keep training volume to a moderate level, ie don't kill yourself in the gym.

This strategy isn't to get a contest ready body builder physique, it's simply my method to get stronger and bigger while maintaining some semblance of a 6-pack.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 09-01-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."