The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DB press is for amateurs

Last week I was working out my chest, I was doing DB presses. I asked this big roid head for a spot, on the 105 DBs. After I was done with my set we were talking. He said that DB presses are for amateurs and that I should really started benching. Becuase in his own words "once you can press the 150's for 12 reps you can't go any where from there."

So lately I have been thinking about this, do you think I am putting a limit on my progress by using the DB? If one day I have to start using the bench becuase I ran out of heavy DBs, don't you think I should just use the bench now?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hell no. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. It's a well known fact that DB press is more difficult than the same poundage on BB press because of the greater recruitment of various stabilizers and the perfectly equal distribution of weight to each arm. DB press is also safer when you're spotter-less and can drop each DB to the side. Just getting the DB's up above your chest is tough work in itself, prolonging your TUT by a few seconds. DBs can be lowered as far down as you like without the barrier of an expanded chest and the fear of getting the bar caught on that very chest. Until you max out the DB poundage in your gym, keep working at them! You can start to incorporate BB bench now if you like, but don't drop the dumbells.

No pun intended.

Personally, I like doing 2 sets of BB press and 2 sets of DB press. Keeps things interesting and hits everything.
    Last edited by Jane; 05-12-2002 at 12:38 PM.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Ok then I'll start benching once I can get 150's for 12. *flexs* shouldn't be long now

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I personally prefer barbell presses, but that might just be because im like to powerlift.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Ok then I'll start benching once I can get 150's for 12. *flexs* shouldn't be long now
    Thats the spirit
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

I'm going to give Jane the benefit of the doubt by not ripping what she said to pieces because she's got good intentions.

However, both movements have a place in one's routine. If you have any interest in developing a "big bench" (shudder), I'd definitely throw in some barbell work.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Alright i have a question.. lets say you're stuck on barbell presses, would it be a good idea to switch to dumbbells for a while.. and how long would you use the dumbells before going back to barbell??

Well, I never really "stop" using the barbell; when I get stuck I just change up the rep range or something.

I throw the db press in every few weeks or so just to keep it in the rotation.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

yea right now i do both.. sets of barbell and a couple sets of inclined dumbbell.. hopefully i can start increasing again.. ive been stuck for a couple weeks now.. really sucks

Grasshoppa
    I do both. Barbell and Dumbell press. Dumbell presses are much harder, honestly. Mostly because my left arm is much weaker than my right...sort of gives you a good balance.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

i prefer DB press
    just feels good on chest

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    you get to the point where your gym runs out of dumb bells big enough...mien only goes up to 100 lbs. db's...

same at one of the gyms near my work. That is sad I think.

when i run out of weight, i might move to superslow techniques for a while, then I dont know.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I'm gonna have to jump to bb's I guess...

Home of the 2002 Pacific Division Champ Sacramento Kings
    My gym only has 250lb db's and that's not nearly enough for my incredible pressing power. Oh yeah, this is the internet, so I can also squat 700lb below parallel, and you should see my 800lb deadlift. I am ******* amazing.

It might take longer than you think to go from 105lbs. dumbbell press to a 150lbs. dumbbell press.

Re: DB press is for amateurs

Originally posted by millertime
    Becuase in his own words "once you can press the 150's for 12 reps you can't go any where from there."
    Was this douchebag implying that HE could rep 12 with the 150s? If he was, ask him to prove it. I'd bet he can't.

Were I focusing on bodybuilding soley, I would do most of my pressing with dumbells.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yeah - I'd like to see that.

db bench rocks but dont stop barbell benching either

Just suck it up and do them both, once a week.

using the formula for converting db weight to a bb equivalent: take total db weight (just multiply one of the db weights by 2) multiply by 1.5. So in this case: 150*2*1.5= 450 lbs. bb bench press. see if the jackass can do it.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Accipiter- have you been taking your stupid pills again??

Where the fook did you get that jackass formula??
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

By that logic I should be benching 330.

MACHINE
    Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but most people who weight train will never be able to get 150 lb dumbells for 12 reps, so it's not something I'd ever worry about. I know guys who bench over 400 lbs who can't get 150s for 12.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560