The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Couple Shirt Questions

Ok, where to begin...

Recent (stupid?) decision to lose weight has required I get a new shirt to work with. Just kicking around a few options and looking to get some feedback.

The best bench i've done to date was 600 at a bodyweight of about 285-290. Did that in my coach's SDP. I've had great success in a double phenom and an SDP, but the cost vs. longevity issue is whats holding me back from getting one now, not to mention questions regarding whether my new leverages will work with it. Tried the ACE but found that, being a much stoppier shirt, it didn't do much for me. ditto with the Katana. One of my training partners is having great results from an Overkill, but he says it's much stoppier than the SDP and from side-by side comparisons, it appears to be a more rigid shirt. From the looks of it ive got a couple options:

1) Get an SDP for my new bodyweight and hope it works with my new body structure
    2) Try to learn a stoppier shirt like the Overkill
    3)???

any tips from the more seasoned crowd?
    "Yes... gear and steroids are the only reason you're not the strongest man alive. Everyone better than you is cheating. Now go to sleep, and the big scary, drug-loving gear whores won't be able to hurt you any more..."
    Wookie's North of Endor Log:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...dor&highlight=
    http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisbea...L?feature=mhum

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've had a lot of experience with both the SDP and a double Overkill.

The SDP is much easier to touch, to a point. When you pull that collar down the shirt will really lock up at the bottom. It's a very fast shirt so if you're a fast bencher you can get a lot out of it. I benched my 770 at 250lbs bw in a size 60 SDP

Problems with the SDP is that no two are made the same. I've had three and I had to get all of them altered and the last one had a super stretchy chest plate, when it was supposed to be triple ply. Really strange. Other things like the high cost of them as well as they don't last very long so it's not even cost effective.

Still, for ease of learning and rebound, the SDP is really hard to beat.

The Overkill does indeed have a lot more stopping power really starting at the top. They do take a bit longer than the SDP to break in and have a very different groove. When you hit the groove just right, it's got just about as much pop as a SDP. It took me a good while to get the hang of the Overkill when I switched, but I feel that the shirt will last much longer than my SDP did. Rudy is also super helpful with the shirt and good customer service like that can make a world of difference.

My 2 cents, Overkill wins out.

Vincent has had some pretty super success with the Ace (which I have really no experience with) so I'm sure he'll have some helpful thoughts

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

do you have any problem touching?
    I think that it is very hard to say and that it depends on the person. I have never personally used a SDP but The one person who does in our gym has a hell of a time touching in it.
    I myself use an Overkill and have used some others.
    I can definitely say that it is way way more forgiving on the bottom than a rage x, and tougher than a double F6.
    Personally my shirt was made with 1/2" extra in the chest plate to make it easier to touch as I am not a huge bencher and I have found lately that I need that taken back in as I can touch 385 to my chest in it.
    I would definitely love to give a SDP a try but I just cant swallow the price.
    For much less money I had an Overkill made to fit ME and have had great results.
    also on a side note, it did take some time to break it in and as Travis said the groove is much more specific than other shirts, it also likes ot be set up differently than other shirts in my opinion. But well worth the learning curve.
    I hope this helps
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

@ Travis
    it worries me that they're that inconsistently built. My coach's 3 ply was about a year old when I used it at the meet, and we're in the shirts more often than not so it'd been thru the ringer but still had tremendous pop. About the OK having a very different groove, how so are we talking here? with the SDP, i was tucking almost from the start (we refer to it as "corkscrewing" the elbows in our crew) and touching on where the bottom of the first row of abs would be if I wasn't so damn fat.

@ct67_72
    Never had any issues touching in the SDP. Though granted it was built for my coach who was about 20-30lbs heavier than me (wound up using it because my own double phenom blew a sleeve, and the repair job made it wickedly inconsistant) I was able to touch 405 in the warmup room before doing my 6 by letting the collar ride up a bit. The Ace I had a bitch touching in when I got it, got 550 once before I started dropping weight, now i can touch 500, but cant get it back up or I miss the groove entirely.

@Both of you
    Definitely appreciate the input so far. Thanks guys
    "Yes... gear and steroids are the only reason you're not the strongest man alive. Everyone better than you is cheating. Now go to sleep, and the big scary, drug-loving gear whores won't be able to hurt you any more..."

Im going to jump in on your question for Travis here also about the groove. For me the groove is very low and I have to tuck hard before I even unrack the weight. which is ok for me because that is how I prefer it.
    I find also that the groove can be adjusted pretty easily in the overkill but it only takes very minimal tweaking.
    If the sleeve rides down my tricep even 1/4" it really locks up the bottom and forces me low.
    If you can touch that kind of weight in the SDP I would think that you would have no problem in the overkill shirt.
    Especially if you have a belly and can get it up.

I would agree, the groove can be adjusted, but I'm still experimenting with that. I think it's dependant on how a bencher is built as well. I have pretty short arms so if I go too low the weight will get in front of my elbows and I can't pull it back

Biggest thing is to have it seated all the way up the arm pits

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thats's the one thing im a little worried about. Ive always had great results with a rebound-ier shirt (Phenom, SDP) whereas the stoppier shirts (Ace, my il-fated experiment with denim) have left me high and dry. What similar shirts to the Phenom would there really be?

There really is not a comparable shirt to the SDP out there. Titan has been trying to come up with something but it hasn't been quite the same. So if that's what you want, you're going to be stuck paying for one about every year.

Improving your technique and giving the shirt time to break in should really make the Overkill work for you. Just talk to Rudy and explain to him your desire's for the shirt. It's a custom shirt so he'll make it how you like

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Just talk to Rudy and explain to him your desire's for the shirt. It's a custom shirt so he'll make it how you like
    This is how I feel, its not an off the shelf shirt so if you need something to accommodate you than it can be made into the shirt.
    Also, I dont feel that it is at all like some of the "stoppier" as you put it shirts. The material still has s lot of give on the bottom making the material do the work over just binding up and compressing you more and using your chest for rebound. When I first started to ask about his shirts and was talking to him and some others that was one of the biggest points he tried to make. Its the stretch of the material that gives you the most rebound off of the bottom, and I think thats what your looking for from what you are saying

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    After spending a year in a denim and another year in a BOSS I don't feel like the overkill has too much stop in the bottom. It has a lot more support throughout the ROM, and it takes some practice taking weights to the chest to really learn the groove, but I never have problems touching in mine. At the APF Illinois meet for example ( just because it was my last meet) I opened at 575 with the collar all the way up. I pulled it down a little for an easy 606, then pulled it a bit too far and broke form to miss 640..... I'm convinced that it's all about taking the time to break in, then learn the groove of the shirt with a full ROM. Too many guys just work to boards and can't figure out the groove to the chest when it comes time, then blame it on the shirt. That goes for any shirt though.

In the end of the day, go with whatever you like better. My overkill 2-ply from June 2009 is still working well for me, but if you really just want a SDP there's nothing wrong with that.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

I have always liked the Rage-X. It lasts forever. I think I've had two in 3.5 years and only bought a new one b/c I went from 215-255 in that time frame. There are a lot of used Rage-Xs out there. Might be worth it to pick one up and give it a try. They really do last a long time.

I also agree on learning the shirt without boards as Barzeen was saying. I like to put on my shirt, "float" reps until I can touch, then do some board work. That way I always touch a weight each time I have the shirt on.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

If your looking for a shirt that will last a long time but still not have too much stop get a rage x without any of the crazy mods. Aj roberts has been using the same stock rage for like 3 years and im pretty sure it was used off a buddy when he got it. I wish metal had an option of geting the ace none laminated. it would make it more poppy and easier to touch ala phenomish