Thread: OHP for bench

Wannabebig Member

OHP for bench

I think my delt strength is holding my bench back, both raw and shirted. I'm strong off the chest and at lockout, but slow in the middle. Im weak on floor press compared to my bench too (the 1st half at least). My form is pretty good i think so im pretty sure its weak delts compared to my upper back and tris.

So my plan is to include more floor press and some kind of overhead pressing to bring up my delt strength. The problem is that i have had problems with my left shoulder (part of the reason why the delts are weak) and i had a series of cortisone shots in it.

If i do regular grip OHP, behind the neck press, or incline bench it aggrovates the bad shoulder. So i am thinking of using some neutral grip work - which doesnt seem to hurt it. I can press the trap bar overhead as the handles are neutral grip, or i can use seated or standing DBs, or possibly KBs any of those with a grip in between neutral and normal.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas about increasing delt strength for bench using neutral grip stuff only?

thanks.

are you doing any physical therapy or rotator cuff work? I would think more about fixing the problem then working around it. Although some of those things you might want to avoid like behind the neck presses. When my shoulder was in worse shape I noticed the same thing about neutral grip not hurting, but eventually it got better. Just make sure to not aggravate it and bring it up to par so you don't always have to work around it the rest of your life.

Why do something you know hurts you?

Try the floor presses first. That may be enough to get your bench moving.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    I say try to fix the problem first. Have you tried Turkish Getups with a kettlebell. They basically saved me from shoulder surgery on both shoulders.

My bench is similar to yours. Floor press and 2-bd work seem to work best. I honestly used to be a lot better at OHP, but my bench was lower. It just doesn't seem to translate very well to my bench.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the responses...

My shoulder isnt an issue right now, and as long as i keep up my scapula stabilisation work (working the serratus anterior, rhomboids, lower traps and rotator cuff) it wont be in terms of a horizontal plane push.

Even if i did a set of regular grip OHPs it wouldnt immediately be agony, but i know over time (say a few weeks) it would get worse and inflame the rotator cuff to the point where it would put me out of all upper body pushing movements for weeks if not months.

So like Scott says, i figure it makes sense to stay away from something i know will cause problems. I'm just trying to figure a way of increasing delt strength whilst working round it.

You guys all think floor press alone will solve it and i dont need any kind of overhead/shoulder specific pressing?

Wannabebig Member
    Scott / Marcus - do you guys take a narrower grip than on the regular bench if you are trying to hit the delts hard with floor press?

Scott is a better one to answer than me. I usually have my ring finger on the rings. That seems to be my strongest raw grip.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I use my regular grip.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I believe it was George Halbert who invented "h-rolls" for those with shoulder injuries. Laying face against an incline bench and doing front DB raises.

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x View Post
    I believe it was George Halbert who invented "h-rolls" for those with shoulder injuries. Laying face against an incline bench and doing front DB raises.
    Agreed... H-rolls are great for re-hab/ pre-hab along w/ face-pulls.

As far as shoulder pressing try log presses if you have access to one... Neutral grip also so you should be able to do them. We do them after ME bench.

Wannabebig Member
    H rolls are already in the arsenal and do help.

Robchris - have the neutral grip log presses helped your bench? Either raw or shirted?

thanks all.

Dr. Subtotal
    I'd consider a cost to benefit analysis of why you'd want to do OHP with your previous shoulder issue. If you feel that properly programming OHP into your training will boost your bench, go for it. Knowing your shoulder gets bothered and assuming you're training in a shirt with a decent carryover, do you really want to aggravate your shoulder near contest though?

I'd keep the OHP in right after a a meet and up your delt volume by sled work and light db work closer to a meet. This will ensure your delts are getting hit hard enough, but won't overdo it with all the high intensity pressing on a weekly basis.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Seated press from eye level does not bother my shoulder- give them a try.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Seated press from eye level does not bother my shoulder- give them a try.
    That's the trick. Don't let the bar go past eye level. I have been doing these seated and standing for years with no real shoulder problems to mention.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Ben F Burgess View Post
    H rolls are already in the arsenal and do help.

Robchris - have the neutral grip log presses helped your bench? Either raw or shirted?

thanks all.
    I think they have... I also do KB presses along w/ a lot of rotator cuff work for shoulder stabilization.

It may be a mental thing but I just feel a lot more "solid or stable" on the bench since I've incorporated shoulder pressing.

Wannabebig Member
    Guys, thanks for all the responses.

I am incorporating standard width floor press on one of my raw bench days.

OHP wise, i have now twice tried standing OHP to eye level and no shoulder issues so far. Actually what ive been doing is using the fat bar which allows me to turn the outside of my hands out a bit so the grip is moving slightly towards neutral anyway.

Now i just need to see an improvement!