Thread: Strongman Events Training Advice

Banned

Strongman Events Training Advice

Question primarily for big Tom but anyone else with experience post!

1. What method of application have you found to be most effective for tacky with regards to atlas stones? Taping the forearms and applying tacky, no tape and tacky? Also, how much tacky is ideal to use?

2. I'm a shorter guy, only about 5'7". I have a tough time tossing kegs. What is the best form for keg tosses for the short guys?

I'm thinking we could keep this thread here and expand on it as more questions are asked.

If I use athletic tape and tacky, I find that it pulls my tape off after a long stone session. But...the tacky seems to last longer with tape on there. My stone is still pretty dusty, I need to clean it. I also found that the area of application worked so much better for me rather than coating my entire forearm, haha. Fingers, and palms get tacky too. WD40 to clean it all off, works like a charm.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Question primarily for big Tom but anyone else with experience post!

1. What method of application have you found to be most effective for tacky with regards to atlas stones? Taping the forearms and applying tacky, no tape and tacky? Also, how much tacky is ideal to use?

2. I'm a shorter guy, only about 5'7". I have a tough time tossing kegs. What is the best form for keg tosses for the short guys?

I'm thinking we could keep this thread here and expand on it as more questions are asked.
    1. Stone Loading / Tacky

With regard to tacky and taping there is a lot more to it than just using tape or not using tape; the preparation, type of tape, and how you tape your arms can be just as important. Some of the best stone loaders (Ortmayer, etc.) load stones without tape, although I have found it to be a beneficial tool when training in hot/humid conditions.

Recently I have started using Gorilla Tape (from Home Depot) for stones and was pleased with the way that it held up, but athletic tape also works well. I only tape a small portion of my upper forearm and prior to taping make sure that my arms are completely clean and dry. When taping make sure to flex your forearm so that the tape is not too tight, but also make sure to wrap it tightly enough that it will not slide out of place.

To apply tacky you should always put a thin layer (small dabs) on your forearms, bottom of your palms, fingers, and chest area of your shirt. If you are going to be doing stone for reps or loading a series I would put a little extra tacky on the back of your palm or arm in case you need to re-apply some during the event.

The type of tacky that you use also makes a huge difference, and even how you store the tacky. If you are unsure about which brand/type of tacky to select just let me know and I can offer some advice there.

2. Keg Toss

I do not have too much experience with keg toss but your best bet it so take a wide stance and hold the weight sideways then use the momentum and jump as you throw (similar to the extension on a power clean or tire flip). If you are using half kegs you can grab them by the handles since they are a bit shorter.

The best way to practice would be to pick up a couple of kegs and go out to a field to give it a try. You may also want to watch some videos of highland games competitors doing the Weight For Height event.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Good stuff, I appreciate it. I usually load stones with no tape, but it keeps ripping up my arms. I was practicing stones last week and now I have scabs from them, so im gonna need to tape for the show this weekend.

Ive got a friend here in town with some empty kegs, I will try to get some practice in today maybe. For training keg toss in the gym i've been doing some KB swings to help with my hip pop

Good stuff, I appreciate it. I usually load stones with no tape, but it keeps ripping up my arms. I was practicing stones last week and now I have scabs from them, so im gonna need to tape for the show this weekend.

Ive got a friend here in town with some empty kegs, I will try to get some practice in today maybe. For training keg toss in the gym i've been doing some KB swings to help with my hip pop
    I would not recommend trying anything new on the day of a contest, but if you have scrapes on your arms then tape would be a smart move.

What are the expected weather conditions for your contest? I can give you some recommendations on tacky/tape once I have that information.

Today is a little close to the contest to practice but I would try to do a few reps of keg toss just to get familiar with the movement. Timing your release properly will be important and is something that KB swings would not prepare you for.

How is your bodyweight for the contest? Feeling strong on all of your other lifts?

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would not recommend trying anything new on the day of a contest, but if you have scrapes on your arms then tape would be a smart move.

What are the expected weather conditions for your contest? I can give you some recommendations on tacky/tape once I have that information.

Today is a little close to the contest to practice but I would try to do a few reps of keg toss just to get familiar with the movement. Timing your release properly will be important and is something that KB swings would not prepare you for.

How is your bodyweight for the contest? Feeling strong on all of your other lifts?
    Thanks Tom for the great help and advice.

The weather should be 96 and sunny. The entire competition will be in the grass, so I need to figure out what shoes might be the best for the competion. Events will be:
    Tire flip - 80 feet
    Farmers/Keg carry medley
    OH Press Medley
    Keg Toss for Height
    Atlas Stone Medley

Bodyweight is around 196... I will be in the 200lb class. I am feeling strong, though I am nowhere near where I was about 7 weeks ago (I had a series of setbacks that began with an ER visit). But I am strong considering I was 175ish lbs 4.5 weeks ago.

The only events i will probably have a lot of trouble with is the keg toss due to lack of practice. I should be good for the others I think... I have very simple goals...Finish the OH press medley (failed this same press medley in June) and finish the stone load

Again thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 09-02-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks Tom for the great help and advice.

The weather should be 96 and sunny. The entire competition will be in the grass, so I need to figure out what shoes might be the best for the competion. Events will be:
    Tire flip - 80 feet
    Farmers/Keg carry medley
    OH Press Medley
    Keg Toss for Height
    Atlas Stone Medley

Bodyweight is around 196... I will be in the 200lb class. I am feeling strong, though I am nowhere near where I was about 7 weeks ago (I had a series of setbacks that began with an ER visit). But I am strong considering I was 175ish lbs 4.5 weeks ago.

The only events i will probably have a lot of trouble with is the keg toss due to lack of practice. I should be good for the others I think... I have very simple goals...Finish the OH press medley (failed this same press medley in June) and finish the stone load

Again thanks for your help!
    Tacky Info:

With temperatures that warm I would use Elite Tacky. To prepare your arms I would bring clean wipes or alcohol swabs to clear off any dirt from the other events (especially the tire) and then dry your arms with a clean towel and apply the tape. The gorilla tape (duct tape) worked well last weekend and I only used it for about the top 6" of my forearms from just below my elbow down to around 3-4" above my wrist (covering the area that contacts the stone). You could also use athletic tape although You have to be a bit more careful with athletic tape as you can sweat through it in warm temperatures if you put it on too soon. If you have stickum spray you can use that on your arms before applying the tape to help keep it from sliding.

Shoes:

If you have cleats for the tire flip those will be the best shoes to wear since the event is on grass. Whichever shoes you usually wear for pressing and regular athletic shoes should work well for the other medleys. A lot of people wear boots for stones since they usually have a higher heel.

Overall:

It sounds like your weight is right on track and I wold not be too worried about the keg toss since I am sure a lot of other competitors have not had much (if any) practice with that event. Just take the first possible opener to get on the board and then make small jumps from there.

Good luck this weekend!