Thread: Public Service Announcement: PLEASE LEARN TO SPOT CORRECTLY

Public Service Announcement: PLEASE LEARN TO SPOT CORRECTLY

Sorry... this is going to be a bit of a rant.

If you are in a gym and train around others, you should learn to spot correctly!

If the person requesting a spot tells you not to touch the bar unless he calls for it. DO NOT TOUCH THE BAR UNTIL HE CALLS FOR IT OR IS FAILING.

I had my bench workout today ruined because some trigger happy, spotting-newb would not keep his hands off the bar while i was benching. Completely ruined my rep cadence and tension.

Furthermore, while spotting for the bench press, its usually best to use a mixed grip. If the person under the bar completely fails, the mixed grip will allow you to hold on to the most amount of weight. Plus it allows for a stronger grip.

/rant
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I concur. I had a spotter once who seemed like he was doing the lift and I was spotting him by the way he lifted the bar on every rep. WTF?

Now I lift by myself inside the power rack. I own that rack and I'll fight if anyone comes near it (I don't have any serious lifters near me, only people "exercising".)
    Last edited by lawndarts; 09-03-2010 at 08:17 AM.

This one falls under personal responsibility. You don't want a ****ty spotter, learn to pick one out better. None available, bench in a rack. You are responsible for your lifting and how it goes. No one else. No sympathy from me on this one. Gym goers aren't there to be spotters for you.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Ya I hate when I tell someone not to touch the bar but as soon as it starts coming up really slow, he jumps in and then in my head I go, "great! I only did 8 reps instead of 10!"

Wannabebig New Member
    Almost just as bad are spotters who don't pay attention. I recently had a guy spot me and when I got to failure I didn't get any help for a good 4-5 seconds while the guy scrolled through songs on his iPod. Thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelang View Post
    Almost just as bad are spotters who don't pay attention. I recently had a guy spot me and when I got to failure I didn't get any help for a good 4-5 seconds while the guy scrolled through songs on his iPod. Thanks bro.
    Wow, what a guy!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    This one falls under personal responsibility. You don't want a ****ty spotter, learn to pick one out better. None available, bench in a rack. You are responsible for your lifting and how it goes. No one else. No sympathy from me on this one. Gym goers aren't there to be spotters for you.
    Exactly.

Tell the spotter:
    If you need help with the liftoff
    How many reps
    When they should touch the bar

Its your lift, take control of it. ..
    Stats: (11/1/2009)
    Ht: 6'1"
    Weight 250#

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    Exactly.

Tell the spotter:
    How many reps

I've done this and the idiot with gloves on (I should have known better just by the gloves) did a upright row as soon as it came off my chest. Now I plan my PR days ahead of time and make sure my friend will be there.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    Exactly.

Tell the spotter:
    How many reps

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I've done this and the idiot with gloves on (I should have known better just by the gloves) did a upright row as soon as it came off my chest. Now I plan my PR days ahead of time and make sure my friend will be there.
    This is what happened to me.

I told him that I am going for 3 reps and I should be fine. That I needed a lift off and not to touch it unless I call for it or obviously failing. The moment the bar left my chest/changed directions I couldn't feel any tension or feedback about how hard I was pushing due to his overzealous spotting.

I immediately racked it and said "WTF, I told you not to touch it. You screwed up my rhythm. " His reply was that he was scared I wasn't going to get it back up.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 09-03-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

what gets me is when the spotter is so nervous and fearful, that too can make a spotter rush in to assist too quickly.

Banned
    when needed i will always say "dont touch the bar unless i call for it" verbatim

its never been an issue once

heading to 195
    Happened to me on more than a few occasions.

I was at the school gym the other day.

I had a good spotter the first time. Repped out 265 x 4 and tried for the last one, which he helped a bit on. The second spotter, I did the same thing, only he forced me to do 8 reps, even though I died at 5. The last rep was almost dropped on my face.

That's why I like those machines that have the bar on rails. Just lift the bar, unhook it from the notches, and go until you can't anymore. There's never a danger of anything but having to reset the bar. It's too bad they take away all the balance factor from each rep but at least you can power lift in peace...

Codeguru

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post

Personally, I never use a spotter. I can deadlift much more than I can bench press. If I fail, no big deal. I just let the weight come down to my chest, roll it to my thighs, and then deadlift it back to the rack. It has never been a problem.
    !!!????!!!

...how much weight are you using?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    when needed i will always say "dont touch the bar unless i call for it" verbatim

its never been an issue once
    You're lucky. When I was incline pressing a year or so ago I would always firmly assert that I didn't want the bar touched unless it was actually coming back down. If I was at a stall I stated leave it alone for 10 seconds I may get it. Regularly though assfaces would get their back workout in while I was still moving it up, just slower than my first reps.

Just two days ago I was on the other side of this though, and felt really ****ty about it. I spotted a guy on incline with 335 on the bar who was repping it. He had 4 or 5 pretty solid and my hands were near the bar but not on it. Suddenly halfway up he went from cranking them to a dead stop, I kind of freaked jumped on it and probably gave him too much help. I can't really be blamed though because I had no clue he was going to fail in that manner. To get a good spot I think you really have to have somewhat of a repoir with your spotter so they know where you're going to be slow and how much to assist you with it at which point.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 09-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Personally, I never use a spotter. I can deadlift much more than I can bench press. If I fail, no big deal. I just let the weight come down to my chest, roll it to my thighs, and then deadlift it back to the rack. It has never been a problem.
    Really?

Wannabebig Member
    .....Other people really want you to pretty much lift the weight for them. I see plenty of guys stack on say 50 lbs. more than they can hope to do by themselves. They bring it down and then the spotter helps bring it back up..
    Some guy tried to pull this **** the other day. I really hate spotting people on incline anyway 'cause I feel like I'm too damn short and I can't get close enough w/out teabagging a MF'r.

Anyway, this guy's like "hey bro, you gimme a spot??" So I get up on the platform and he does a couple of good ones and then starts to slow down....then stop....and I don't remember if he told me to take it or if it was just obvious, but I helped him back up to the starting position and he grunts....."THREE MORE...." ROTFL

Needless to say, my friggin' fists were closed around the bar and I feel like I'm lifting 2/3's of the **** myself.

F'g kidding me...

That just deserved a good rant

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimea River View Post
    Some guy tried to pull this **** the other day. I really hate spotting people on incline anyway 'cause I feel like I'm too damn short and I can't get close enough w/out teabagging a MF'r.

Anyway, this guy's like "hey bro, you gimme a spot??" So I get up on the platform and he does a couple of good ones and then starts to slow down....then stop....and I don't remember if he told me to take it or if it was just obvious, but I helped him back up to the starting position and he grunts....."THREE MORE...." ROTFL

Needless to say, my friggin' fists were closed around the bar and I feel like I'm lifting 2/3's of the **** myself.

F'g kidding me...

That just deserved a good rant
    Hilarious! I am soooo following your posts. I'm 5'10" and feel the same about teabagging the bro when I spot on bench. Hate it when people ask me. I go as far as NOT to make eye contact with people.

today i asked a guy to spot me and the first thing he says to me (besides "ok") is "i'm not gonna touch it until you call for it"

before i even said a damn thing to him

i wanted to buy him a beer, or something
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird