The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Cardio and weight training

Hi all,
    Been weightlifting 10 weeks now, and have lost a good amount of fat whilst gaining some noticable definition by combining weight training with cardio.
    I run 5-6 minutes non stop on the treadmill to get my heart going/warm up, then hit the weights.

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding weightlifting and cardio on the same night. Some people say, excersise `before` you lift, as this gets the testosterone going.
    Some people say excersise `after` lifting as a warm down. But I have been told this is bad, because it pushes the blood out of your muscles. Personally I would like to hit the treadmill before and after.
    Thanks for any advice.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

After
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    After
    Thanks for your reply. Does this mean the pushing the blood out of your muscles thing is untrue?
    Why shouldnt I hit the treadmill before? Is the testosterone pumping part also wrong?
    Last edited by crunch76; 09-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.

The more important part for building strength and muscle is the lifting, not the cardio. Don't short your efforts in the lifting by wearing yourself out with cardio beforehand. besides, diet is more important than cardio when trying to lose weight. Use cardio for conditioning and diet for weight loss.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If you can do it in the morning before you eat anything I highly recommend doing it then.

If not, then afterwards like Off Road said.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Wannabebig Member
    I've heard that it's better to lift first and I actually tried it the other day, but I didn't really notice that much of a difference -- I didn't necessarily feel much stronger or that I could do, or actually did, much more than I usually do.

What I did definitely notice is that I was pretty well wiped out from the weights and the cardio I was doing was a lot less intense than usual...and time just seemed to draaaaaaaaag onnnnnnnnnnn a lot more.

If it matters, I'll switch, but if not...I'd much prefer to get the cardio out of the way first. And, since I go to the gym directly from work, that time also serves well to clear my head and I also get thru it easier by thinking about what I'm going to do next -- and getting amped up for that.

As I understand, if you go cardio after, your body's primary source of fuel is fat, as your body as burnt off all the glycogen during weigh training. Is this correct?

Best be sure to get a good amount of protein and high-GI carbs right after

I'm not basing this on science or sound logic, but I do my cardio before. Nothing super intense- no marathons or 5Ks, but enough to get the blood flowing and the heart pumping. This is the only way I have a good workout. If I skip cardio, then my lifts generally suck.