The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

First Raw meet....and a comeback after 3 years

I don't think I have posted here before, but i am getting kinda old so ya never know.

I finally got back into the gym about 6 mos.ago after damn near 3 years without seeing the inside of one.
    Actually gonna do a meet in Oct. and will be lifting Raw.
    Until recently I had been training by myself at a small private gym near my home. So trying to get into/out of shirts and suits just wasn't practical.
    Also for my first meet back I just wanted it to be an easy, fun no pressure meet......yeah...right.

After a slight tear in my tricep doing rack pulls while severely dehydrated (stupid) I have not really been pulling or benching heavy and trying to focus on my squat.
    I have been making roughly a 3 hour drive every weekend for the past month to squat on a mono-lift @ Brute Strength Gym in Norfolk,Va.(just a cheesey power rack at my home gym)

Last week I made a decent to depth lift with 700 (knee wraps) , I went to 800, but during my set-up I second guessed my stance and pulled it in. About half way down I realized the bad choice and came back up and racked it. This was the most weight I have had on my back since my last comp.

So anyway, I am hoping for somewher between 800-900 for the meet. The other 2 lifts...who ****ing knows.

After this meet I am planning on doing the Ironman Classic. I will be switching over to OVERKILL gear with the help of Rudy Rosales.Maybe we can get a shirt that will help my pathetic bench.
    Really looking forward to getting back on the platform, and in the near future getting to try some new gear as well. Still looking for that elusive 1200lb. squat.

Brian Weston

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good to hear your lifting and getting back on the platform. Best of luck.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Glad you're back at it. Your lifts now after a three year lay off are substantially higher than mine.

Wannabebig Member
    Went Back to Brute Strength gym to squat this weekend. This place and the people there are incredible. Thay are always willing to help spot, load and run the lift, training wouldn't be worth a damn if I couldn't go there.
    I am still working on dialing in my stance. I have a habit of second guessing it and pulling it in at the last minute, but this time around i had someone yelling at me to keep it wide. I went up to 755,wraps and belt, and got a nice clean to depth lift, I called it a day on squats after that, wanted to leave on a good note.
    I also pulled a little afterwards. i have been dealing with a tricep tear that only seem to act up while pulling.
    I went up to 585. The weight felt light, but the whole time all I could think about was the damn tricep letting go, but it held. Just gonna push a little more each week up to the meet and try not to rear it again.
    I know they got video of both lifts, but I am still watinig to have it posted.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weston; 08-22-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I will be heading back to Brute Strength Gym this weekend for another squat session.
    I hope to get a little heavier this time around. I would love to posy a 900lb. squat for the meet, but we will just have to keep at it and see what happens.
    I am most excited just to be getting back on the platform. Meet day just can't get here quick enough.

If I can get somemrte training footage i will be sure to post it as soon as possible.
    The last vid made it on to powerliftingwatch, whitch to me is pretty exciting in itself.

Brian Weston
    Sponsored by:
    OVERKILL STRENGTH EQUIPMENT

If you can hit a raw 900 lbs squat you are a MAN! That would be awesome! What are your other lifts like?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    If you can hit a raw 900 lbs squat you are a MAN! That would be awesome! What are your other lifts like?
    Chris,
    Right now my other lifts are a little up in the air. I suffered a small tricep tear and have just started pulling again after about a month off. Yesterday I went up to 605 with no trouble, the weight was easy, I just keep worrying about the damn tricep letting go,but I will push a litte harder each week. Probably end up around 700 for the meet.
    As far as bench,had a little pec tear a couple of weeks ago, and have not benched since then, although I will start training that again this week, bench was always my worst lift so who knows where the hell that will end up, but I will give it my best shot, hoping to be able to get back around 400 range. we'll see.

I relly feel that if I am right on and my head is right on meet day that 900 is within my reach, Just gotta get under it and go. Hoping that all this heavy raw squatting will transfer over nicely when I get in my new OVERKILL gear.

Brian Weston
    sponsored by:
    Last edited by Brian Weston; 08-29-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Some very impressive numbers Brian best of luck to you.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weston View Post
    Chris,
    Right now my other lifts are a little up in the air. I suffered a small tricep tear and have just started pulling again after about a month off. Yesterday I went up to 605 with no trouble, the weight was easy, I just keep worrying about the damn tricep letting go,but I will push a litte harder each week. Probably end up around 700 for the meet.
    As far as bench,had a little pec tear a couple of weeks ago, and have not benched since then, although I will start training that again this week, bench was always my worst lift so who knows where the hell that will end up, but I will give it my best shot, hoping to be able to get back around 400 range. we'll see.

I relly feel that if I am right on and my head is right on meet day that 900 is within my reach, Just gotta get under it and go. Hoping that all this heavy raw squatting will transfer over nicely when I get in my new OVERKILL gear.

Brian Weston
    sponsored by:
    Cool. I know how you feel with the little injuries always messing things up. I've got my issues on that front as well.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wow, how the heck do you put up numbers like that after not being in a gym for three years?

By the way, out of curiosity what part of Virginia are you in? I'm up in Northern VA/DC area

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Wow, how the heck do you put up numbers like that after not being in a gym for three years?

By the way, out of curiosity what part of Virginia are you in? I'm up in Northern VA/DC area
    I guess there is something to the old "muscle memory" stuff, but it did take slot of hard and frustrating work. Could barely squat 405 when i started back last Dec.

I live in south central Bumfuk Virginia,(victoria) we got ONE traffic light!
    I tavel up to Brute Sytrength Gym,Norfolk (3 hrs) to train every weekend, wouldn't be doing as well as I am if it weren't for that place.

Brian Weston
    sponsored by:

Wannabebig Member

Squat day

Back at Brute Strength this weekend. My all time best friend Jeff McVicar showed up to train also. That always makes things more exciting.
    Jeff hit an impressive 685 with just breifs (and a broken back), I think George hit 755 in a suit,no wraps.
    I only went up to 800, which I cut high (FUUUUUK!!) don't know why the hell I did it, got a little sand in the ol' Vag I guess. The weight did however feel very light, and I think 900 really might be a possibility.

Brian Weston
    sponsored by:
    OVERKILL STERNGTH EQUIPMENT