Thread: Briefs for a raw squatter?

Hybrid View

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Briefs for a raw squatter?

Over loading with knee wraps helped my raw squat a lot, so what about briefs? I also hear they are good for the hips with speed work.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 09-07-2010 at 12:06 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I think it probably depends on what your goals are. Are you ultimately just trying to increase your raw numbers or do you want to lift in gear eventually? I'm not sure how training in briefs would help your raw numbers.

Just increase my raw numbers. I don't think I'll ever go to training in gear....
    Last edited by ThomasG; 09-07-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Banned
    I don't have briefs, but I do have a loose single ply squat suit that I train in ( in addition to the suit I've competed in ). I know for a fact that my geared training has also carried over to my raw squat, and squatting in my suit protects my aging hips, which allows me to train harder and recover faster.

Loose briefs may help to prevent injury and/or allow you to squat more frequently, though I would not recommend tight-fitting briefs since those could throw off your form.

Your best bet would probably be some entry level singly ply briefs like Inzer Power Pants. They only cost $35 + shipping and are easy to put on / take off.

Another way to overload your squat would be to do bottom-up squats from pins or box squats to a high box.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Your best bet would probably be some entry level singly ply briefs like Inzer Power Pants. They only cost $35 + shipping and are easy to put on / take off.
    I've got a pair of these on the way the reasons Tom and BigTallOx said. Hoping to try them out soon.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Loose briefs may help to prevent injury and/or allow you to squat more frequently, though I would not recommend tight-fitting briefs since those could throw off your form.

Another way to overload your squat would be to do bottom-up squats from pins or box squats to a high box.
    This is what I would recommend.

I have Inzer Power Pants and have used them for over a year now. They keep my hips/groin healthy while pulling and squatting wide.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    This is what I would recommend.

I have Inzer Power Pants and have used them for over a year now. They keep my hips/groin healthy while pulling and squatting wide.
    Did you order them a couple sizes large?

You could also just go w. a cheapo suit and wear it straps down. The Inzer Champion is about as cheap as they come and has leg openings that won't cut you off above the knee.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Did you order them a couple sizes large?
    I can't remember, it's been too long. I do know that I can get them on in under 30 seconds.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

If you squat wide sometimes then loose briefs would be a good investment for sure!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Great replies thanks guys!!
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

I would stick to High squats or Rack type work. briefs will change too many things form wise.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Training in just briefs will probably not help your raw squat too much, depending on your stance since most briefs require a wider stance to squat with, but it definitely will help with your stability, using heavier weights than you can do raw and not having "suit straps" to help keep you erect when you're in the hole. I have trained in briefs quite a few times in the past and it did not carry over much for my raw squats, at the time i was squating 750 in belt and wraps and could do 900+ in just briefs easily, but my raw squat did not go up. It did however make my raw squats feel very light on my back since i was used to holding 100+lbs on my back using briefs every week compared to my best raw squat ever at the time. If you squat with a wider stance it might actually help you out a lot more than it did for me, because i squat with a more narrow stance, about shoulder width apart.