The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 whole year

1 whole year

Here's something from John Christy that should strike a cord with some people. Consistancy on a good routine is THE KEY.

By John Christy:

"Have you ever trained an entire year without missing a single workout? Can you imagine what kind of development you would possess if you could constantly add weight to the barbell and make your prescribed reps every week for 52 weeks in a row? Well, I'm going to tell you about another one of my trainees who has done just that - and then some.

One hundred and four workouts in a row-every Wednesday and Saturday like clockwork, and no injuries or illness. To give you a little idea of how his strength improved, his deadlift went from 45 pounds (yes, an empty Olympic bar) x 15 to 300 x 5, bench press went from 185 x 5 to 259 x 5, and he's gained 45 pounds and even though these numbers aren't "world beaters" yet, as you can imagine he looks like a different person. Not bad for his first year of sensible training.

I challenge you to compare your results over the last year of training, with what Craig has achieved. I'm not saying this to add to your frustration because your training has gone nowhere in the last several years, but instead to help you -- to show you that there is a way to accomplish your dream of a well-developed physique and great strength - without the use of drugs.
    "
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-02-2010 at 08:20 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I went 2 years without missing a work out my deadlift went from 135x10 with back pain to 405x1 no back pain, bench went from 155x10 to 320x1 and squat went from 225x10 (around there) to 405x1 then i took some time off and missed some workouts here and there and now im even stronger woohoo!
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I'm almost working out for a year and my lifts went up crazy Amounts!

Bench from 50 to 210....
    Squat from 140 to 305....
    This is the biggest one I wasn't able to do a dip to save my life before. Now I pump them out with 80 pounds strapped to me..... I've missed a couple workouts here and there and changed my training ideas over the months but it all helped. Plus you can workout and not eT correctly and get no Gains.......Many variables to the aspect. I know I'm rambling now I'm done.
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

But honestly. Isn't it better to switch up the days you workout and your routines and such to keep your body confused? Like If you do bench every wendsday for example your body is going to know that's coming and if you do the same routine for example 5x5 then your body knows that too. Also correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't taking breaks every so often make you stronger or no? Seriously I'm not trying to seem like a you know what I'm just stating what a year of consistent but not consistent training has done for me and stating what I've learned from the guys over on this board!
    Thanks... Luke
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

I'm looking forward to something like this at Christmas.
    I've been going steadily since this past January.

I've had knee issues which have hurt my progress, but I've only missed.... I think 4 workouts in 9 months due to minor sickness, knee, and one vacation.
    So far things are looking good.

(and losing track of my diet this summer didn't help progress)
    Last edited by Bosch232; 09-06-2010 at 07:21 AM.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Luke1081 View Post
    Isn't it better to switch up the days you workout and your routines and such to keep your body confused?
    No! You can't confuse your body, being a highly evolved machine it simply does what it does.

What you can do is change the stimulation slightly (reps, positions, angles) and keep progressing on the same lifts. You can keep adding small amounts of weight to the bar every week to force adaptation. By making very small changes you can keep progress going for a long time. Increasing a few big lifts like squats and deadlifts by large amounts over an extended period of time is going to have a greater impact than increasing a bunch of different lifts by little amounts.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't taking breaks every so often make you stronger or no?
    That depends on your routine and progression scheme. If you are using an abreviated routine with a lot of rest days between workouts, then you have your recovery built into the system already. You can keep going for a long time without burning out. In the example above, Craig was only working out twice a week, that gave him 5 rest days every week to recover.

Seriously I'm not trying to seem like a you know what I'm just stating what a year of consistent but not consistent training has done for me and stating what I've learned from the guys over on this board!
    Did you answer the questions in the article? Did you compare your progress with that of Craig's? Did you add 255 lbs to your deadlift? Did you add 75 lbs to your bench press? Did you gain 45 lbs of muscular body weight? If you did, that's great. If you didn't, ask yourself, "Why not?"
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-06-2010 at 08:12 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:14 AM.

There's a big difference between the implied "muscular bodyweight" and lean bodyweight. I am sure the muscular bodyweight was a mixture of fat and muscle.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    The most important thing is to stay injury free. Getting your ass to the gym to hit your prescribed reps/sets 3 times a week is the easy/fun part. Eating enough and staying injury free is the tough part, at least for me. I have learned my lesson the hard way that it is ok to skip a heavy session if you are in a bit of pain. If I had followed this advice back in April, I would have missed just one week versus missing an entire 4 months of deadlifting/squatting. I am now finally back up to par and I WILL NOT make the same mistake I did. Its very motivational to see someone workout for an entire year without missing a workout.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 09-08-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    I assume everyone on this site understands what it means.
    If not, they do now
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Reg Park claims he "only" put on 37 lbs. of lean muscle (measured @ 10% bodyfat) over his entire career.

A smaller man like Dave Goodin claims he added "30 lbs. in 20 years" *

*Inside the Life of a Natural Pro, Episode 18: Meet Dave Goodin!, (2007). Retrieved 2
    April. 2008 from the bodybuilding.com website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/insidethelife18.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/insidethelife18.htm

Or are you encouraging people to "get on the juice"?
    Everyone is unique. Just because Dave Goodin only needed to add 30 pounds of muscle to create an very impressive physique doesn't mean this is the most anyone would need to add.

I have met Mr. Goodin a number of times--we used to train at the same gym--and he has an incredible bone structure (tiny joints and ridiculously narrow hips and waist). Someone with a larger bone structure is going to have to add a lot more muscle mass in order to display a similar level of muscularity. Someone with the frame of an O-lineman is going to need to add way more than 30 pounds of LBM to look impressive.

Personally I have added over 40 pounds of LBM in my training career. Why don't I look as muscular as Mr. Goodin? Because that mass is spread over a taller, wider frame. That's the problem with the type of comparison you're making. Unless everyone had the same bone structure, muscle shape, etc you can't really compare.

Okay, you are correct that I'm not a great example, as I am not at competition BF levels.

But again, I just don't think you can take one person's (or 3 people's) numbers as a rule. We all start at different levels and look different as we gain muscle. Especially for someone who starts off super-skinny, I don't think its crazy to think he could add well over 40lbs of LBM.

I agree with Chris407, 40 lbs will look fantastic on some, but won't look so amazing on others. If you are simply looking for a realistic expectation of drug free size, I'd look at McRoberts' recomendations; 5'-10", 200 lbs, <12% body fat, and 16" arms should look pretty decent and be obtainable by most with a lot of hard work.
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

r2473:

I'm not sure why you're so focused on "dry muscle" and contest condition. I don't know of anyone who walks around in contest condition and got there by only adding "dry muscle."

Anyways, I don't think its all that important, either. So I'm going to stop derailing an otherwise excellent thread. OffRoad's original point about consistency deserves a lot more attention than a useless debate about how much muscle you can add...

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:12 AM.

To me that is not motivational. It simply sets up unrealistic expectations and goals. .
    It's not unrealistic, I just think you are being too technical and critical. In order to put on muscle, you'll also have to put on fat. The 40 pounds is a great goal for a year of lifting. With that 40 lbs you will have put on a great deal of muscle and added a lot of strength. That is called progress, which is much better than spinning your wheels or constantly looking for that magic routine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Last edited by r2473; 01-21-2011 at 11:12 AM.

I don't want to bog the thread down with a senseless debate. But as this is a sticky, I think it is a disservice to create unrealistic expectations for people.
    Many people start with unrealistic expectations of

a) what they can achieve

and

b) the effort it will take to get there

(and blame their failure on program y, supplement x etc) and there are also people who need to be made aware how amazing a transformation can be achieved simply by working hard consistently, on diet and training, as the first post espouses.

I would far rather people actually were consistent, as in my experience the number of the former far outweighs the latter and the latter are almost never disappointed with their results no matter what their expectations to begin with.

Weak Mofo
    This website inspired me to begin lifting for real. I started lifting 9 ago. I havent been able to do hardcore lifting because i cant afford a gym membership at the moment, but i do own a weight bench and alot of weights. Ive been doing everything i possibly can to work on my muscle.

I'm 6'3. 9 weeks ago i weighed in at 185 pounds, and could only bench 115 x 5. (yeah....weak as hell.)
    today, only 9 weeks later, I weigh 211 pounds, and i can bench 160 x 10 (still weak as hell but ive gotten alot stronger than i was). ive been getting as much protein as i possibly can, and eating, and working my body until i cant work it anymore. my biceps alone have grown by an inch. so far, i am completely pleased with my strength gains. my goal by the end of the year is to be able to bench 180. is this reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Many people start with unrealistic expectations of

a) what they can achieve

and

b) the effort it will take to get there.
    i didnt start lifting earlier because i invisioned it being too hard and my expectations were too low for me to get inspired enough to start lifting. i eventually forced myself to do it and it has turned out that ive gotten result alot quicker than i could have ever imagined. i am now completely addicted and cannot miss a workout.
    Last edited by Mike S; 09-09-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    i can bench 160 x 10 ... my goal by the end of the year is to be able to bench 180. is this reasonable?
    First since you said your current lift is 160 x 10, I assume that your goal is 180 x 10. Yes that is very reasonable, depending on your workout and progression. If you add 5#'s per month to your bench you will hit the 180 x 10 by the first of the year.
    Last edited by DMedley; 09-09-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    my goal by the end of the year is to be able to bench 180. is this reasonable?.
    Yes, just throw on one extra pound a week and you'll be there. Your body should have no problem adapting to that extra pound every week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal