Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My school gym removed all DBs over 85 lbs bc they promote an intimidating atmosphere

Banned

My school gym removed all DBs over 85 lbs bc they promote an intimidating atmosphere

I thought school gyms were generally decent (except for all the curl jockeys), but my school gym just took a plunge and are about as crappy as planet fitness now

All you iron pumpers out there, save yourselves a trip to the Student Recreation Center front desk to ask where the really heavy dumb bells are, because they’re gone.

No, the weights that weigh more than 85 pounds didn’t get lost. Nobody melted them down or used them for scrap metal. And, no, they’re not being used to make a giant dumb bell sculpture.

Nope, instead a group of students wrote and signed a petition saying that people using heavy weights were intimidating and created an atmosphere of elitism. Then, in a move of infinite wisdom and fairness (yes, that’s sarcasm), the Rec Center removed the weights and put them in storage.

When the Collegian called the Rec Center to confirm, the gym said it doesn’t want to support a culture of bodybuilding, which might be funny if it were a joke.
    Link to article
    http://www.collegian.com/index.php/a...091010_ourview

wow lame. ask for your money back because when you paid your rec fee it included those dumb bells. get a few hundred people to ask for their fees back too.

If I remember correctly my uni gym only had DBs that went to 90lbs which sucked for me because I do bent over db rows with 100+ so I shifted to all barbell work. I say you go dead lift, and scream on every rep and throw the weight down as hard as possible then run around the weight room high five-ing people.
    Last edited by dynamo; 09-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    I say you go dead lift, and scream on every rep and throw the weight down as hard as possible then run around the weight room high five-ing people.
    hahaha. Thats a good idea.

Actually im about to go there and squat. I'm going to make a ton of noise, smack my head on the bar a few times and grunt very loudly. Hopefully I dont intimidate people so much that they take the squat racks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    hahaha. Thats a good idea.

Actually im about to go there and squat. I'm going to make a ton of noise, smack my head on the bar a few times and grunt very loudly. Hopefully I dont intimidate people so much that they take the squat racks out.
    Look for a ban of deadlifting and squats next...

My schools gym was ok but I can't stand being in there with all the freshmen who work out in groups of five and take 5 minutes between each persons set so I just joined a gym closer to my house. In undergrad it wasn't bad because I could go during the empty hours but now that I am in grad school and live further away from campus it is more of a pain than it is worth.

that letter had me rolling. i was laughing so hard. "iron pumpers" i'm gonna use that one.

pussies promote an intimidating atmosphere. I wish they'd realize its not what people do that intimidates others its what those weak suckers think that causes the intimidation. clearly there is an insecurity that needs to be addressed amongst the population. Maybe they should reinstate those dumbbells and have regular pussies anonymous meetings instead. Help them work through their insecurities. assclowns.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

House Lannister
    Ghey.

Considering the fact that I'm not a big guy in the least and could probably db bench at least a few reps in the 85# range, that's hilarious.

It's funny how the university says it is removing the DBs to tone down and atmosphere of elitism. Aren't universities traditionally a HUB of elitist professors and students? ROFL.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I would raise hell and probably get kicked out of the school.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Sucks.

If people weren't such douche bags and would learn how to get the dumbbells down without dropping them, this probably wouldn't have happened. Hearing a 50+ db is the floor is one of the more annoying things in the world--not to mention that it damages them.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Just go to a commercial gym in the area.

I had big problems with my university weight room when I was in college. I solved the problem by just going to a commercial gym on the days that I was not at Westside.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Just go to a commercial gym in the area.

I had big problems with my university weight room when I was in college. I solved the problem by just going to a commercial gym on the days that I was not at Westside.
    I actually do go to a decent commercial gym. I rarely go to the school gym, and if I do, its to squat because they are the only place in town with a GHR.

Wow that is freakin' lame. My school gym did a major expansion/remodel a couple years ago and definitely wussified the place from what it once was. Pretty sad, but they did get some equipment that my PL team asked for and they generally haven't given anybody problems about lifting heavy. They have DB's that go to 125, thankfully, which is actually better than what they used to have when they only went up to 110. Of course they did add two floors of very expensive cardio equipment and a whole allotment of fancy machines...
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

BTW, that letter is great. I hope the staff realizes what wussbags they're being and reverses their decision. Not likely, though.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

The fitness industry gets worse day by day. One of the golds gyms I go to remodeled and they took out both power racks. The other golds gym I go to got a new manager and training staff, now you can't deadlift there. Sometimes I wonder how the hardcore gym Golds from pumping iron turned into a curves.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

they did this at my school, except there are absolutely no dumbells, bars, or any kind of free weights. now theres just a bunch of those cybex type machines, treadmills and i think one cable station. i dont know the reason behind it, but i wonder if its at all linked to what happened at your school.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

little insight from the strength coach at my uni. One kid taking a weightlifting class with him asked if he could go down to the weight room for the non-sports lifters so he could use the leg raise machine. The strength coach turned to him and said "wtf, there is a reason those machines are downstairs..." the athlete weight training room only has free weights, bumper plates, power racks, and benches.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Welcome to America; where we promise to accommodate all of the insecure pussies, lazy fat-asses, and illegal mexicans.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Welcome to America; where we promise to accommodate all of the insecure pussies, lazy fat-asses, and illegal mexicans.
    lol, amen
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

I think my next dead lifting day I'm going to the Gold's that banned it just to make a point.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    I think my next dead lifting day I'm going to the Gold's that banned it just to make a point.

hahaha go Nick!
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

with enough duct tape those 85lbers can be converted to 100s

A Gold's Gym that bans deadlifting? wtf is wrong with this world?

I would demand a refund if they pulled that crap.

Banned
    that is so bush league

you should goto the athletic department and demand they remove the athlete gym equipment as well

reading this made me partially pissed off. the other part of me just really, really wants to find one of these pussy gyms in my area and do the whole deadlift/scream/high-five routine. just for fun.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Sadly, many of us have run into this type of situation. You can't win with the macho attitude slamming weights around, and its still unlikely you'll win when being polite.

I'm guessing the school gym is free (well, included in tuition, nothing in college is free). If so, you really can't ask for your money back unless you're willing to give up your education. This would be pretty stupid.

Like Travis said, find a new gym. Usually you can even find a YMCA or something like that with a rack and DB's. YMCA's even have lower rates for students.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com