The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow, when did kids turn into such pussies? I have been noticing more and more of this lately. My 14 year-old stepdaughter is the typical high school girl. She has a new boyfriend every couple of weeks. Occasionally they will come by the house to pick her up or to hang out for a minute. Every single one of these kids....I could easily confuse them for a girl. These guys are all wearing eyeliner (at best), nail polish, the works. Hell, one of them a couple of weeks ago was coming over so they could "do each others' hair"! All of them look as if they've never done anything remotely athletic/physical in their lives. Then there's the deameanor. Won't look you in the eye, mumble when they talk.....it makes me sick. Is this the way our kids are being raised nowadays? I asked her, are these the kind of men you really want to be around? I wouldn't even call them men, it would be an insult to actual men.

Anyways, kind of off topic, but we are turning out some kids who are complete pussies these days. I am not surprised by gyms with this Planet Fitness-like behavior.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Wow, when did kids turn into such pussies? I have been noticing more and more of this lately. My 14 year-old stepdaughter is the typical high school girl. She has a new boyfriend every couple of weeks. Occasionally they will come by the house to pick her up or to hang out for a minute. Every single one of these kids....I could easily confuse them for a girl. These guys are all wearing eyeliner (at best), nail polish, the works. Hell, one of them a couple of weeks ago was coming over so they could "do each others' hair"! All of them look as if they've never done anything remotely athletic/physical in their lives. Then there's the deameanor. Won't look you in the eye, mumble when they talk.....it makes me sick. Is this the way our kids are being raised nowadays? I asked her, are these the kind of men you really want to be around? I wouldn't even call them men, it would be an insult to actual men.

Anyways, kind of off topic, but we are turning out some kids who are complete pussies these days. I am not surprised by gyms with this Planet Fitness-like behavior.
    Wow that's pretty bad.

Pop culture rewards effeminate men these days. Take a look at MTV or popular male musicians and most of them are pretty effeminate. Justin Bieber comes to mind at first.

You should see what it's like at a liberal arts school.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Wow that's pretty bad.

Pop culture rewards effeminate men these days. Take a look at MTV or popular male musicians and most of them are pretty effeminate. Justin Bieber comes to mind at first.

You should see what it's like at a liberal arts school.
    Yes, it's incredibly pathetic. Here's another example for you. My 10 year-old cousin plays in soccer and baseball leagues that DO NOT KEEP SCORE!! They do this so that no gets their feelings hurt about losing games and so that the games won't be so competitive and be all about winning. Are you kidding me? Sports are all about winning, learning how to compete and learning how to both win and lose with some class and dignity.

Now is it any wonder that kids can't handle an "intimidating" or competitive gym atmosphere when they're being raised like this? It is the gradual pussification of our country and it disgusts me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

As pathetic as it is, it appears to be an emerging trend in the fitness industry and I honestly cant say I'm at all surprised.

My 10 year-old cousin plays in soccer and baseball leagues that DO NOT KEEP SCORE!! They do this so that no gets their feelings hurt about losing games and so that the games won't be so competitive and be all about winning.
    This, on the other hand, did surprise me. I've never heard of anything like this. At what age will they start keeping score?

Normally I always disagree with statements like this. When people try to claim things like "Society is getting worse/more violent".

This on the other hand I have a hard time denying myself. I think several things factor into it cellphone/ computers for one. It's given kids an avenue in which they can communicate without ever having to talk to someone face to face or look someone in the eyes. So in the rare moments when they are forced to do this with strangers they mumble and look at the floor. Oh well as long as I'm not one of those kids and I'm certainly not raising my daughter to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    As pathetic as it is, it appears to be an emerging trend in the fitness industry and I honestly cant say I'm at all surprised.

This, on the other hand, did surprise me. I've never heard of anything like this. At what age will they start keeping score?
    I don't know. I suppose maybe once they get in junior high and start playing sports for their schools? It's so ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Normally I always disagree with statements like this. When people try to claim things like "Society is getting worse/more violent".

This on the other hand I have a hard time denying myself. I think several things factor into it cellphone/ computers for one. It's given kids an avenue in which they can communicate without ever having to talk to someone face to face or look someone in the eyes. So in the rare moments when they are forced to do this with strangers they mumble and look at the floor. Oh well as long as I'm not one of those kids and I'm certainly not raising my daughter to be one.
    That could have something to do with it, method. Kids spend a lot of face to face time with others at school everyday, though. They should be fairly used to it. Ok, I'll give them a pass on this....no passes for dudes wearing makeup, though.

Anyways, I feel like I've somewhat derailed the thread. Basically my point is that it is no surprise that these kids would have a problem with the perceived competition at the gym that the heavier weights bring. Look at how they're being raised....

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    Sadly, many of us have run into this type of situation. You can't win with the macho attitude slamming weights around, and its still unlikely you'll win when being polite.

I'm guessing the school gym is free (well, included in tuition, nothing in college is free). If so, you really can't ask for your money back unless you're willing to give up your education. This would be pretty stupid.

Like Travis said, find a new gym. Usually you can even find a YMCA or something like that with a rack and DB's. YMCA's even have lower rates for students.
    I lift at a uni gym (thankfully one that actually does not discourage heavy lifting), and the gym is included as part of a separate student fee. He should be able to get a refund if he asks (if it's not too late).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Lifting heavy weights is bad and dangerous. Come on, didn't you know that?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Yes, it's incredibly pathetic. Here's another example for you. My 10 year-old cousin plays in soccer and baseball leagues that DO NOT KEEP SCORE!! They do this so that no gets their feelings hurt.
    This is bull****. Winning is fun. You learn a lot from losing.

Quote Originally Posted by RBB
    Now is it any wonder that kids can't handle an "intimidating" or competitive gym atmosphere when they're being raised like this? It is the gradual pussification of our country and it disgusts me.
    I like how angry you are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I lift at a uni gym (thankfully one that actually does not discourage heavy lifting), and the gym is included as part of a separate student fee. He should be able to get a refund if he asks (if it's not too late).
    It's different at every university. At both Clemson (where I did my undergraduate) and here at Colorado State, the rec center fee is tied into a larger mandatory "general" fee, and because of that it's impossible to get a refund on the student rec center fees.

I've mentioned already that I very rarely go to this school gym in question. I go there on squat days every so often because they have a GHR, other than that I steer clear b/c it is a cess pool of hipsters, bench/curl jockeys, and total wanna be ******s.

Banned
    oh, btw, i did a squat workout there the other day and definitely caught the attention of some of the workers. I thought they were going to ask me to "tone it down" on a few occasions. Oh well, was hoping for a good reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    oh, btw, i did a squat workout there the other day and definitely caught the attention of some of the workers. I thought they were going to ask me to "tone it down" on a few occasions. Oh well, was hoping for a good reaction.
    hahaha nice. I was ramping up to 485lbs deadlift on tuesday at the "fitness" center i go to and I was thoroughly impressed, the trainers came up to me and were impressed and asked me about how I trained. All this coming from a place that caters to old old fat people. I even had old ladies smiling at me, just not what I expected.

I guess the young folk just need to grow the fark up. Kind of odd your uni gym has a GHR but discourages heavy lifting you should offer to take off their hands.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Related story...sorta...

I saw a news report today that said refs for school sporting events can bench a player if they see the player getting hurt. The player will not be allowed to play again until cleared by a doctor. So, if a ref sees you take a fall or hit your head, hurt or not, they can bench you. More sissyfication?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Related story...sorta...

I saw a news report today that said refs for school sporting events can bench a player if they see the player getting hurt. The player will not be allowed to play again until cleared by a doctor. So, if a ref sees you take a fall or hit your head, hurt or not, they can bench you. More sissyfication?
    I dunno about sissyfication,

might have to do with stories like this http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html
    Where an eagles player was allowed to return after a concussion and fell down.

Had something similar happen to me, this goes along with RBB's post.

It may be thread derailment like he claimed, but this thread popped up in my mind after this conversation...

Was talking with a professor, and she got to talking about socialization and how important family life is on children in stages of development. No argument there. Then she went on to talk about how spanking is wrong, and it is likely that an adult "spank" could cause kidney failure in a child in the ages of 4-6 years old.

Anyone else think this is a little overkill? I got spanked when I was a kid, and it did a great job of showing me what is right and what's wrong.

I've heard of shaken baby syndrome and what not, but a spank is a light smack. Its probably more effective in the sense of scaring the child rather than hurting the child. A child at the ages of 4-6 probably gets hit harder than a normal spank on a daily basis, when it comes to falling down, playing, and just doing kid things.

Obviously you aren't going to close your hand and hit the kid as hard as you can. There may be some idiots who have hit their kids like in the kidneys that and caused renal failure, thats obviously crossing the child abuse line.

What relevance I thought this may have to this thread is the recent trend of positive reinforcement and lighter punishments. A higher percentage of kids grow up now taught to be bounty soft as blankets straight out of the dryer.

What's sad is I'm 22 years old and I can see this. When I was a kid, I got stitches, I peed outside, I broke bones, and I'd leave the house on my bike and wouldn't return until dark. Parents would freak out if kids did these today.

Let kids be kids!!!

/endrant
    Last edited by Lones Green; 09-16-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

use bands to help increase resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    Kind of odd your uni gym has a GHR but discourages heavy lifting you should offer to take off their hands.
    Not a bad idea. Also, maybe you could take those heavier DB's off their hands, too. You know, since they're not using them.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I remember about 14 years ago when i was a little midget playing little league baseball. they didn't keep score back then either, but i would always beg my parents to keep score with pen and paper so I would know if my team won or not
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Eventually the pendulum swings back in the other direction.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Banned
    so it WAS totally just a made up bull**** rumor. The DBs were never removed because of people complaining, it was due to lack of space
    http://www.collegian.com/index.php/a...1710_reccenter

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    so it WAS totally just a made up bull**** rumor. The DBs were never removed because of people complaining, it was due to lack of space
    http://www.collegian.com/index.php/a...1710_reccenter
    Good discussion anyways.

Damn it i was gonna say that sounds great, you had two very good options;

1) Work out in the storage room take the GHR with you and never get stuck with douche bags
    2) Use said douche bags as replacements for the DB's they moaned about see whos intimidated then.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

The Rec Center plans to move the weights back within the next “few days,” but they will be moved to another location to provide more space in the plate-loaded weight area.
    Maybe I'm just looking for it, but does this sound fishy to anyone else? Like, if they never planned on getting rid of the weights, why wouldn't they have just moved them to begin with instead of sticking them in storage for a few weeks, and not offering an explanation until just now? Seems like maybe they caved to the pressure and are changing their story
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    Maybe I'm just looking for it, but does this sound fishy to anyone else? Like, if they never planned on getting rid of the weights, why wouldn't they have just moved them to begin with instead of sticking them in storage for a few weeks, and not offering an explanation until just now? Seems like maybe they caved to the pressure and are changing their story
    I think you might be on to something.

Just wanna tell a few stories of mine...

When I was in high school, I remember this one day when I was on my spare and working out in the weight room like usual. Then this girl teacher who teaches the girls gym class came in to the weight lifting room where I was and told me that I need to leave because the girls were coming in and weren't comfortable with me working out with them. Right away, I was pissed. I was thinking, what the heck? Not once have these girls ever worked out at the same time with me and even if they did, I never screamed or anything like that when lifting; I just do my own thing. Maybe it's just a girl thing, I don't know but I was also mad because I paid to use the weight lifting room for the semester.

Another story I remember was the last gym that I worked out at. It was a real nice gym, kinda run down but it was good. It had a power rack, regular bench press and incline press station, had a cable place... Then all of a sudden they were redoing the whole weight lifting area. I came back like a week or two later and for real, you could almost say that the whole gym was filled with fancy machines. Half the room was just cardio things and almost the entire other half of the gym had all the weight machines. The free weights where all on this little strip. It had a dumbbell rack (don't remember how high the weights went up to), a couple free benches, and then a power rack which quickly became more of a "bench station" and I always had to wait to use it. After a couple weeks I moved to a new gym.

Couple things...

1) Every generation thinks the one ahead of it is getting worse and worse. We all have grandfathers and can attest to this (In MY day, you ate dinner with the family, not in front of the TV!!). That being said, I think the point of the coming generation is there are more extremes. For every sports league you have that doesnt keep score, you have another thats super hardcore and pumping out NFL atheletes from the time their 7 (well maybe its not 1-1, but you get my point).

2) So far I haven't heard any solutions to these sorts of problems, besides just finding a new gym. Despite how good it may make you feel, calling all of these people bitches or pussies, or running around slapping everyone high fives isn't going to allow you to lift at your school gym (for free, may I remind you). So here is my 2 cents. For one, not everyone lifts weights as a sport, and you cant blame them for being ignorant. Just as I play basketball for fun and recreation, some people just want to lift to look a little better or be a bit healthier.I'm sure they think I look like a wuss trying to throw up a layup (incorrectly I'm sure) or a total idiot when I try to dribble, just because in the end I don' really give a damn about basketball or really read about it. Its fun and its a social activity, my interest stops there. The gym is very simliar--most people DONT' want to lift weights, they just want to be healthy. Its hard to blame them to much for being ignorant. So obvious their going to be intimidated because not only are they ignorant, but you're putting complete newbies side by side to pros. When I step on the basketball court next to some guys who are pretty damn good, even I feel a little intimidated. I'm sure its even worse when the sport involves moving massive weights, slamming things around, yelling, etc. . At the end of the day I think these people are complete wussies just like the rest of you, I'm just trying to put things in perspective. Its hard to blame someone to much for trying to be healthy, even if they're doin it wrong.

So part of what I do is try to be nice to most of these people.. If the only interaction someone has with you is you slamming around weights, no **** they're going to be intimidated. Say hello, offer to spot, offer to give advice (nicely), etc. I'm real nice to everyone in the gym until its time to hit my set, and I basically just zone everyone out. By this point they're more impressed than intimidated, and I get to smash weights like I want.

I know some of you on the more dave tate side of things will say some **** like I DON'T GO TO THE GYM TO MAKE FRIENDS, I GO THERE TO SMF. Thats fine, but realize that having no regard for the people around you makes you antisoscial, and they will think you're an ******* for it.also the management won't like this either, which of course makes them complete pussies, but also realize that these pussies decide whether or not you get to lift weights there.at the end of the day the guy with a 2200 pound total pays just as much as the guy who dicks around ont he treadmill the whole time, so can you really blame them to much for giving the pussies priority? They're trying to keep customers and make money (really what they should be doing is de-pussyfing the gym crowd and teaching them how to lift, but thats a whole nother story). If this really isn't your style, you could talk with them about a time youc ould come when its OK to lift heavy like at in the morning or at night or something. Or just join another gym.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.